Another statistic

Fab1

Just  went over to see a bloke on the side of the road with a caravan in tow with a wheel bearing failure with the family in the car and no spare bearing in sight.He did the old unhitch the van while he went on a detour to get one after asking me where the closest auto store is.

Some mothers do ‘ave em

Less pain would of been felt having the spares on board me thinks.

• Like 1

In all fairness he might be like me. I can have all the parts and tools and still wouldn't have a clue what to do. Putting in petrol and pumping up the tyres is about all I can do. Yeah I'm useless, but I can cook and clean like no one else!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jiggy said:

In all fairness he might be like me. I can have all the parts and tools and still wouldn't have a clue what to do. Putting in petrol and pumping up the tyres is about all I can do. Yeah I'm useless, but I can cook and clean like no one else!

Cheers

Rob

I asked him if he knows how to change them and he said yes he does them at home.I told him it’s a good idea to carry spares and he said it didn’t even cross his mind but learnt a lesson. I offered to do it for him but he denied and said he had tools in his car to change them just no bearing hence going to go get one .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I fitted a stub axle mount to my boat trailer and on it is mounted a new hub and the spare tyre - touch wood I have never had to use either and I hope I never do ! That reminds me I should have removed the stub axle set up on my box trailer before it went to scrap 🤬 Oh well too late now 🤣

• Like 1

I have said this many times before….there is nothing like a 40 degree summers day, pulled over in the blazing sun, your way over loaded boat trailer sitting forlorn on the side of the road, kids crying and fighting, wife twice as angry as the kids, and your wheel bearing is just a melted blob of rust! Now let’s be clear, everyone is not a mechanic or fitter, but, some very basic tools and a complete hub is a simple fix, or at minimum get a garage to do the bearings before you go on the yearly pilgrimage down/up the coast. Even if you at least have the parts, and have no idea how to fit them, someone might stop that can! We all do it, load the boat to the hilt with bikes and tents, eskies and every bit of gear known to man, all on a way undersized sad trailer that’s been sitting since last holidays, full of leaves and rubbish…….

• Haha 1

All good advice fellas.My suspicion is this bloke had used his bearings he was carrying to change bearings at home at some point and forgot to replace them to keep as spares.

I don’t think he wanted to mention that bit and look like a goose as from what I saw he has all the gear minus the bearings/hubs.

lucky it was a mild day here yesterday and nice and Cool.

• Like 1

With my caravan, I carry spare bearings, grease, nuts, bolts, gas regulator, tools, etc, etc. Probably why the van is heavy  🤣.

The most used gadget has been a tiny butane operated soldering iron. Used on 4 separate occasions, otherwise would not have been moving along.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 3

Some very basic tools can be a saviour, not just for repairs, but just general “stuff” while camping. My mate had a Tomahawk that had a hammer head on one side, a nail puller/pinch bar as well as the chopping side, we must have used that a thousand times over the years to “fix” things that needed hitting/chopping/levering to get us by.

Edited by noelm
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

With my caravan, I carry spare bearings, grease, nuts, bolts, gas regulator, tools, etc, etc. Probably why the van is heavy  🤣.

The most used spare has been a tiny butane operated soldering iron.

Yes and we have a kitchen sink as well @Yowie
When we did a lap swordie spent months and months ordering "stupid bits and pieces". The delivery people knew us well :074:
I complained bitterly :wife: until we had to use these things :blush:

One time in WA we went out onto a beach and when we decided to return over the sand dunes. I said take that track and he took another. You can guess what happened.
Out came some of the "stupid bits and pieces" and the "orange recovery track things" and we got back onto hard ground again!! We have helped many others with our bits and pieces too.
Tyres for car and van we have spent $$$ changing these regularly. 

@Fab1 kind of you to offer to help this chap. 

6 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

When we did a lap swordie spent months and months ordering "stupid bits and pieces". The delivery people knew us well :074:

One time in WA we went out onto a beach and when we decided to return over the sand dunes. I said take that track and he took another. You can guess what happened.
Out came some of the "stupid bits and pieces" and the "orange recovery track things" and we got back onto hard ground again!! We have helped many others with our bits and pieces too.

Most of my problems in W.A.

The pins on the 12 pin plug - the double pin had almost closed up, so I 'carefully' placed a knife blade in between the 2. SNAP. Busted one off, some choice language, then to find a shop with a new 12 pin plug. I bought 2, now have a spare one.

Anderson plug. Somehow fell out, dragged on the road, only the wires left when I saw it 🤣 choice language again. Now have  spare red and grey plugs.

The reversing camera wire fell out - don't know how as it was screwed in. Dragged along the road, only the wires left, more choice language. Near Broome but had to wait to Darwin until I could find the correct pin and wiring, so no reversing camera for some time. Each wire consists of 6 tiny strands, about as thick as a human hair, 4 separate wires, and as the pin was scrubbed off, took some time to determine which wires in the pin connected to those in the socket. More choice language.

Each time, the butane soldering iron saved me.

I have a plastic box labelled "caravan spares", heavy to lift, but have used a few things at times. Just that this box has travelled around most of Australia more than once.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yowie said:

The most used gadget has been a tiny butane operated soldering iron. Used on 4 separate occasions, otherwise would not have been moving along.

You can never have too much gear mate.It’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

6 hours ago, noelm said:

Some very basic tools can be a saviour, not just for repairs, but just general “stuff” while camping. My mate had a Tomahawk that had a hammer head on one side, a nail puller/pinch bar as well as the chopping side, we must have used that a thousand times over the years to “fix” things that needed hitting/chopping/levering to get us by.

When push comes to shove its surprising what you can fix/Magyver with very little tools, bits and bobs and some knowledge.

6 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Fab1 kind of you to offer to help this chap. 

Thanks, I always try to help others in need no matter what.As for your adventures at the end of it all you were glad swordie had ordered all that otherwise you may hav been in a pickle.

• Like 2

All this talk reminds me of the Movie cast away.Remember the struggles Tom hanks went through to find food, start a fire, etc.?

And at the end he had a glut of food all around him at the party, and a lighter he could flick on and off whenever he wanted.

We certainly take things for granted until 💩Hits the fan.

i still carry things like my old radiator hoses and sepentine belt in cars.

About 20yrs ago I was driving home from work as a arvo shifter at 230 am(we had stayed back for o/t) and the deeded battery light started flickering and lights going dim.

Pulled over and as suspected frayed fan belt.Pulled over and changed out on side of the road as I had tools and used belt in car.Would have been a lot worse scenario if o hadn’t had the belt, tools and knowledge.

• Like 3

Aaahhh yes MacGyver! Now there is a show that shouldn’t have been made 🤣🤣🤣

A few years back i was working and the truck had a hydraulic system to pull the suspension down to allow low height entry in carparks and when lowered the switch to raise it died and I couldn’t drive the 30km back to the yard like that as there is no suspension movement . I rang the mechanic and he said it would take an hour or more to get to me because of the traffic , sitting there i looked down the street and spotted a skip bin in front of a house that had building waste in it so I rummaged through it and found some wire then used this to make a jumper across the switch and lift the suspension up . I called the mechanic again and said don’t worry i fixed it , I MacGyvered it ! This was greeted with silence then he said you  whatted it ? I said i MacGyvered it - he hung up on me ! 
This was one of the life bonuses i got from growing up with no money and having  to drive old clapped out cars - i had to fix everything myself if i liked it or not. I think being able to change a flat tyre and check the lights and indicators  should be a practical test part of getting a licence .

• Like 2

It’s kind of funny how some people just have a knack of getting things going, while others might be quite clever, but wouldn’t know how to use a screw driver…….I guess I’m very lucky I have had to fix stuff all my life, from old bikes to outboards and cars, add to that house building and renovations and most things I can play around with and get going.

• Like 3

Sadly having a crack at working things out and fixing things is becoming more and more a lost art.It’s to easy for people to throw things out and buy new ones.My mrs calls me Frankenstein as she reckons I get things fixed/going from multiple items/parts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Sadly having a crack at working things out and fixing things is becoming more and more a lost art.It’s to easy for people to throw things out and buy new ones.My mrs calls me Frankenstein as she reckons I get things fixed/going from multiple items/parts.

Funny you say that,,,, the part about people just throwing things out !!

I'll start another thread, it's kind of a non fishing project topic, But it's what a stupid person decided to throw out, which I saved and am now restoring.

I just couldn't help myself 😁, couldn't figure why someone would throw a piece of history out.. I'll take a few photo's tomorrow of where I'm up to.

Might be a good topic to see what others are tinkering with, saving or restoring....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XD351 said:

I think being able to change a flat tyre and check the lights and indicators  should be a practical test part of getting a licence .

More than 10 years ago when my daughter started driving, I showed her how to change a flat tyre. Nuts cracked, tyre on/off, tools to use.

Not long after that, she saw 3 young males on the side of the road, flat tyre on their vehicle. Standing around , scratching their bums and balls  :074:, no frigging idea what to do.

She stopped, changed the tyre for them, heard them "f**k, look what she can do", however, she drove off. Did not want to get involved with someone who cannot change a car tyre. 🤣

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

More than 10 years ago when my daughter started driving, I showed her how to change a flat tyre. Nuts cracked, tyre on/off, tools to use.

Not long after that, she saw 3 young males on the side of the road, flat tyre on their vehicle. Standing around , scratching their bums and balls  :074:, no frigging idea what to do.

She stopped, changed the tyre for them, heard them "f**k, look what she can do", however, she drove off. Did not want to get involved with someone who cannot change a car tyre. 🤣

I don’t blame her.

13 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

Funny you say that,,,, the part about people just throwing things out !!

I'll start another thread, it's kind of a non fishing project topic, But it's what a stupid person decided to throw out, which I saved and am now restoring.

I just couldn't help myself 😁, couldn't figure why someone would throw a piece of history out.. I'll take a few photo's tomorrow of where I'm up to.

Might be a good topic to see what others are tinkering with, saving or restoring....

Many years ago when my job involved driving around and going into peoples houses, it was amazing the stuff people had just laying around unused, not to mention stuff ready to be dumped that was perfectly good or needing only very minor repairs.

• Like 1

Yes, I hear what you are saying, I was one of those blokes that looked at everything when doing work at someone's place, couldn't help myself 😁.

Some people, simply just don't have the skills or foresight I guess, or couldn't be bothered with some of there stuff they discard.

I remember our first house we built, as very young early 20 ish, I found a coffee table at a place, which just needed some tender loving care, we had that for near 2-3 years. I certainly wasn't proud back then, on apprentice wages, buying such a luxury was not an option.

Hi Noel, I've posted up Pic's a few times here, but not for a while, so I must have been doing something wrong.

I uploaded a photo from my Computer, as before, then clicked on insert, but it didn't work. I'm reluctant to try again, as I cant delete my attempts.

But yes, if you could run me thru it, I'll try and figure what went wrong..

... Noel, I think I have solved the issue, as I'm known as the boy in the bubble with modern technology 😁.. my wife came home just as my standard meltdown was about to happen 😄.. my old photo's uploaded with no issues, but it seems that the latest iphone update, created a new thing with all new photos, called HEIC instead of JPEG, totally un be known to me, so a simple phone setting change ( by my wife ) seems to have fixed the issue. I thought I was going crazy !!  Dam updates !!  I'll give it another go now...

Edited by BaitDropper
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

Hi Noel, I've posted up Pic's a few times here, but not for a while, so I must have been doing something wrong.

I uploaded a photo from my Computer, as before, then clicked on insert, but it didn't work. I'm reluctant to try again, as I cant delete my attempts.

But yes, if you could run me thru it, I'll try and figure what went wrong..

... Noel, I think I have solved the issue, as I'm known as the boy in the bubble with modern technology 😁.. my wife came home just as my standard meltdown was about to happen 😄.. my old photo's uploaded with no issues, but it seems that the latest iphone update, created a new thing with all new photos, called HEIC instead of JPEG, totally un be known to me, so a simple phone setting change ( by my wife ) seems to have fixed the issue. I thought I was going crazy !!  Dam updates !!  I'll give it another go now...

Thanks for help @noelm
@BaitDropper I have split this fascinating project into a new thread in The Bar 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, noelm said:

It’s kind of funny how some people just have a knack of getting things going, while others might be quite clever, but wouldn’t know how to use a screw driver…….I guess I’m very lucky I have had to fix stuff all my life, from old bikes to outboards and cars, add to that house building and renovations and most things I can play around with and get going.

I am a bit like you i can usually fix my stuff and i have a mate who couldn't tell you which end of the screwdriver to use, but if you tell him, you have $10k to invest he will boggle your mind with data and spreadsheets and is an awesome financial planner.

He is my Ying and im his Yang, i fix his stuff or tell him who to see, and he makes me $$$ with the odd spare dollar i have.

Match made in heaven

Edited by jeffb5.8