Newfound fear of bream…

AlbertW

Hey Raiders,

Just thought I’d put up a brief report on something that just happened which involved a donkey sized bream. I wasn’t planning on fishing tonight but I packed a rod and some gulp plastics just in case so I got to the wharf at around 7pm ish. First thing I noticed was that there were jelly prawns skipping around on the surface and occasionally a little bit 10ish cm tailor would come up and smash one. I was using a 3inch gulp paddletail with a slightly larger hook so I wasn’t hooking up on the tailor very often. However I dropped my plastic down to the bottom and as I winded my slack in I felt that I had foul hooked a tailor, and as I was bringing it up, I kid you not, a 45-50cm donkey of a bream comes up, catches a few milliseconds of air and takes off the lower quarter of the tailor. I hadn’t realised that Sydney bream could be this ferocious as in one of my past trips to the Gold Coast i had made a new friend and I fished with his family using live 10-15cm herring for trevally but at night the bream would come out and absolutely demolish the live bait. So could this be a reoccurring thing with bream where they get a lot more aggressive at night? I will be returning to the spot on Tuesday with proper gear in order to target these fish

Thanks for reading,

Albert

Edited by AlbertW
  • Like 13

I think that changing conditions often induce changing behaviour Albert. The nighttime behaviour of piscatorial species can be very different from those of the normal daylight ones. Changes in what the prey do often create changes in what the predators do... so no big surprise there, really.

Good luck with your pursuit of the donkey sized Bream.

bn

• Like 2

I’ve certainly seen my share of aggressive bream behaviour. I’ve fished live herring like your mate in qld, amongst little Spaniards and decent flatties and had them taken by good bream!

Then one morning when it was still dark, I was lifting a lure out of the water for another cast, only to have it smashed back into the water by a hungry bream. Probably the most memorable bream I have ever caught.

But to answer your question, darkness and low light periods are thought to be conducive to many fish losing their shyness and feeding more aggressively.

Only one way to verify this. Look forward to the reports😎

• Like 2

hey @AlbertW

Having been in some of the comps this year, its pretty interesting to see what kind of lures some guys throw. Usually bigger lures resulting in bigger fish, the one thing you will notice is when you catch one up near or over 40cm is they fight very well on light line.

• Like 2