Kingfish Recapture Certificate

whiskey299

It's not often I get these.

I thought I would also include details from the original release which were emailed to me from the Gamefish Tagging Program team.

It would appear that it's shrinking 75cm > 71cm > 70cm! I suspect the original capture on the 24/06/2023 wasn't measured correctly and maybe the tail was squeezed when measuring OR the tag numbers got mixed up with another kingfish when submitting the cards. The shrinking from 71cm to 70cm is just a measurement variation which happens when we use different measuring tools.

Note Tag Number has been removed from the post as the kingfish was released.

Original Release

Tag Number: xxxxxx

Date: 24/06/2023

Length: 75cm

First Recapture

Date: 12/08/2023

Length: 71cm

Time at Liberty: 49 days

Second Recapture

Date: 19/09/2023

Length: 70cm

Time at Liberty: 38 days

Scanned-image-1 copy.JPG

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

People always pointing tails to extend length.😂It’s why fork length is always more accurate.

Last year I sent a 75cm snapper frame to get the age through a tackle shop, but never heard back from the dpi.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larkin said:

People always pointing tails to extend length.😂It’s why fork length is always more accurate.

Last year I sent a 75cm snapper frame to get the age through a tackle shop, but never heard back from the dpi.

Yea I know it’s definitely cheating and everytime I see that happen I wonder if they tippy toe when they measure their own height!

That’s a massive snapper, well done! all my frames have to be saved for my mother in law who uses it to make either fish soup or fish congee. So there’s no way the dpi will ever see frames from me!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, whiskey299 said:

Yea I know it’s definitely cheating and everytime I see that happen I wonder if they tippy toe when they measure their own height!

That’s a massive snapper, well done! all my frames have to be saved for my mother in law who uses it to make either fish soup or fish congee. So there’s no way the dpi will ever see frames from me!

When I dropped it off, the guy checked that I had removed the cheeks and wings lol (which I had). I was keen to see the age, but for some reason never got a report. Apparently some  snapper of similar size are much older than others. Can be a big difference from what I’ve been told.

On 10/6/2023 at 9:32 AM, whiskey299 said:

It's not often I get these.

I thought I would also include details from the original release which were emailed to me from the Gamefish Tagging Program team.

It would appear that it's shrinking 75cm > 71cm > 70cm! I suspect the original capture on the 24/06/2023 wasn't measured correctly and maybe the tail was squeezed when measuring OR the tag numbers got mixed up with another kingfish when submitting the cards. The shrinking from 71cm to 70cm is just a measurement variation which happens when we use different measuring tools.

Note Tag Number has been removed from the post as the kingfish was released.

Original Release

Tag Number: xxxxxx

Date: 24/06/2023

Length: 75cm

First Recapture

Date: 12/08/2023

Length: 71cm

Time at Liberty: 49 days

Second Recapture

Date: 19/09/2023

Length: 70cm

Time at Liberty: 38 days

Scanned-image-1 copy.JPG

Wish I got my recapture certificate when I caught my 88cm king with a tag in it, DPI never sent it out after multiple attempts of me asking for it😂. Mine also happened to shrink from 90cm - 88cm in roughly 30 days in the same system where you caught yours haha, must be some dodgy fish measurers around.

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2023 at 8:53 PM, nal said:

Wish I got my recapture certificate when I caught my 88cm king with a tag in it, DPI never sent it out after multiple attempts of me asking for it😂. Mine also happened to shrink from 90cm - 88cm in roughly 30 days in the same system where you caught yours haha, must be some dodgy fish measurers around.

That's a shame you haven't received your certificate, but I'm sure with all the fishing you have been doing you'll eventually get another chance. Another option is if you could ask them to email you a pdf file so you can print it out.

I tagged 2 kings back in 2021, a 91 and 93 and still haven't heard of it being recaptured. I can only guess they are enjoying their days at liberty or have been eaten by sharks or maybe the tags have fallen off. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whiskey299 said:

That's a shame you haven't received your certificate, but I'm sure with all the fishing you have been doing you'll eventually get another chance. Another option is if you could ask them to email you a pdf file so you can print it out.

I tagged 2 kings back in 2021, a 91 and 93 and still haven't heard of it being recaptured. I can only guess they are enjoying their days at liberty or have been eaten by sharks or maybe the tags have fallen off. 

Well I think you jinxed it cause I just got two certificates this arvo haha, I’ve tagged about 13 now I think all in that 70-80cm range as there hasn’t been much bigger fish around, I wish fish like the ones you caught in 2021 were more common for sure, hopefully those kings you caught are still swimming around with the tags in their backs, would be interesting to see the growth over the past 2 years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to this kingfish recapture.

Project Kingfish apparently have a month recapture prize and I won for the month of September.

Honestly I didn't even know this monthly thing existed.

This is not to be confused with the Spring King Slam 2023 comp which is currently running from Oct-Nov.

Anyway they contacted me and sent out this cool prize pack.

Couldn't be happier with a few freebies to throw around on the water.

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-31 at 5.51.34 PM.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1