Offshore Reefs

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

Heard that the kings were on out wide, so me and a mate decided to ride out. We were joined by an another member of a FB group we’re part of, for his maiden ride outside.

I wanted to test the crab pots that I had just purchased, so I dropped two pots in Botany Bay to soak before heading out. It’s the first time trying these, so was curious to see if I’d get anything.

We loaded up on livies at Yarra Bay, and headed out.

Quite a few boats out there - fish were on and I managed a nice 81cm king - & my mate got an 87cm. 

As a school of kings passed by - half the boats seemed to be on.

With a decent king each on board, we decided to leave and try for some snapper and trag - unfortunately there were no real bites, I’d say mainly due to the time of the day and it being dead on low tide when we got there. Managed a trio of the unfavourables, a baker, red rock cod & a 40cm morwong - all released.

Mate got a couple of Bonnie’s on the way back in, and I went to retrieve the pots.

One pot didn’t get touched with bait still inside, the second had two crabs. One female had eggs & was released.

GPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.a8fdfcb55d9cd53b33c396c8991b1296.jpeg

IMG_3144.thumb.jpeg.c4cf8e261f58e1ebc6bf190cd17d6bf4.jpeg

IMG_3137.thumb.jpeg.a271b35abd5173935253bfcccad6a5bf.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 17

9 hours ago, Yowie said:

A good sized kingie each, so it was worth the trip out. Also an entree crab before the main meal.

Will be a bit breezey tomorrow.

Not sure if it was worth it 😂 I’m feeling it today! 
Was fun to get onto a good one - especially the grind bringing it up from the deep. 
Happy with the crab, wasn’t expecting anything for a first go with the pots.

8 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

A good return for your effort.

Thanks Bessel!
Had planned to take it easy & stay local this week, but my mate kept sending me pics of what was being caught out there the day before 😂

16 hours ago, Larkin said:

Mate got a couple of Bonnie’s on the way back in...

Nice report and pics.

I am starting to think that bonnies move a little way offshore in the winter and come back into the bays and estuaries in the warmer months.

6 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Larkin, nice fish for your efforts. 

Well done.

Thanks Isaac - it’s nice when the fish show up

2 hours ago, JustJames said:

Nice report and pics.

I am starting to think that bonnies move a little way offshore in the winter and come back into the bays and estuaries in the warmer months.

Thanks James,

The Bonnie’s my mate got were caught around wedding cake island off Coogee. 
This year they hung around in varying numbers all through winter along the cliffs and headlands. 

19 hours ago, Larkin said:

Gday Raiders,

Heard that the kings were on out wide, so me and a mate decided to ride out. We were joined by an another member of a FB group we’re part of, for his maiden ride outside.

I wanted to test the crab pots that I had just purchased, so I dropped two pots in Botany Bay to soak before heading out. It’s the first time trying these, so was curious to see if I’d get anything.

We loaded up on livies at Yarra Bay, and headed out.

Quite a few boats out there - fish were on and I managed a nice 81cm king - & my mate got an 87cm. 

As a school of kings passed by - half the boats seemed to be on.

With a decent king each on board, we decided to leave and try for some snapper and trag - unfortunately there were no real bites, I’d say mainly due to the time of the day and it being dead on low tide when we got there. Managed a trio of the unfavourables, a baker, red rock cod & a 40cm morwong - all released.

Mate got a couple of Bonnie’s on the way back in, and I went to retrieve the pots.

One pot didn’t get touched with bait still inside, the second had two crabs. One female had eggs & was released.

GPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.a8fdfcb55d9cd53b33c396c8991b1296.jpeg

IMG_3144.thumb.jpeg.c4cf8e261f58e1ebc6bf190cd17d6bf4.jpeg

IMG_3137.thumb.jpeg.a271b35abd5173935253bfcccad6a5bf.jpeg

Good to see you're still slaying them mate .. nice king for sure .. that rod has a healthy bend would have been a great workout.

But what I'd really like to see is a video of you handling a couple of angry crabs, in a net on the jet ski !

Cheers Zoran

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Good to see you're still slaying them mate .. nice king for sure .. that rod has a healthy bend would have been a great workout.

But what I'd really like to see is a video of you handling a couple of angry crabs, in a net on the jet ski !

Cheers Zoran

Haha, here’s the crab handling mate! 
Straight into the tum!

IMG_3191.thumb.jpeg.1463f8b3cb9641f4c53d1826a8924b9d.jpeg

crab linguine, french shallots, garlic, parsley flakes, butter, olive oil, garlic salt, pepper & parmesan. I sometimes add chilli too. 

Top of the esky on the ski is a great work station - I sat the pot on top to get ‘em out. Couple of elastic bands over the claws, and all was sweet!

I had a custom waterproof bag made for the pots to store into while carrying them on the ski - only cost me $42 plus freight from india. Fits two 80cm pots and zips up so everything’s neat and clean.

IMG_3123.thumb.jpeg.cc2121f937bfea1abede7314c4c7b685.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Basil D said:

nice catch, worth the effort when you get them, arm stretching depth at the 12 mile 

Thanks Basil - was a fat fish and put up a great fight!
A couple of nice thick fillets came off

IMG_3170.thumb.jpeg.962eee9f4bdfef11703f73a5a478cb20.jpeg

IMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.f3f378f67095692b4a5f61c03ddd62ce.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice catch and feed as always Chris. Seems like you're getting the hang of crabbing too, though I'm not surprised...when you fish a lot, you invariably will encounter the odd crab. So you know where to find them 😎

Thanks Mike, First time using pots - one I dropped on sand (which didn’t get touched) the other was on sand but next to weed patches (which got the crabs). They were about 100m apart at roughly 5m depth.
When I’ve caught them on line, it’s been in areas where there’s weed and sand patches.

41 minutes ago, kantong said:

great catches there, well done!!

thanks Kantong! 
Was happy to see two crabs in the first pot - and disappointed to see none in the second one 😂😂 

Kingy from down deep was fun to catch!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Nice fish and great report ! 
I can honestly say I have never seen anyone crabbing from a JetSki before !

Haha me neither XD - just trying to switch it up. The crab pot bag I had made fits perfectly wedged between the back of the seat and the esky. Once deployed, I fold the bag up and I’m off for a fish.

my mate has done it from a kayak - he does have an outrigger though and not far from shore.

• Like 1