Grays Point

Isaac Ct

Been a while since I've been out for a fish and yesterday was the perfect chance to get out. Walked out onto the sandflats and had a bit of trouble with the nippers, only about 20 in 20 minutes. Fished the incoming tide along the flats and drop-off with them and proved to be one of the best days I've had in a long time. Lots of small baitfish were congregating just on the sandflat next to the drop-off. First fish was the longtom, dad ate them as a kid and wanted to try it. My friend got his first flathead (the bigger one) just off the drop-off on a nipper and I had a day out catching basically every other fish. The odd stingray thrown in it was a good result considering our low bait supply, as well as salmon busting up often. About halfway through the session the biggest whiting I had ever seen came chasing my nipper whilst I was reeling in, hit then gone. Estimated high forties if not bigger. After about 2 minutes I hooked up to another big one over the shallows, we could see the dorsal fin and tail out of the water and geez the fish looked massive again, then gone. Another heartbreak. Both trevally were hooked in the shallows then ran into the channel, my guess is all sorts of fish were pushing bait up and feeding on them. A few small bream later we called it a day. A very mixed bag and a few feeds to share around.

Cheers, Isaac

GraysPointMixedBag.thumb.jpg.603d3a3b1336129d0ab3a0043ccd872c.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to see you back Isaac. That bigger Trev is a thumper!

Thanks Mike, was very happy with it. Good size fillets for ceviche.

47 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Good to see you getting into a few fish. Couple of nice eating size flatties.

Thanks Yowie, have you been out recently?

• Like 1

Nice haul mate! 

I’ve found it tough going on the nippers down there in the past too. Plenty of holes but not many coming up.

Couple of nice trevs! 👍
Heard that good sized trevs are also being caught around jibbon point atm.

8 hours ago, big Neil said:

A good little haul of different species Isaac Ct, well done.   bn

Thanks Neil, was a bit surprised with the variety in the end.

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice catch mate, though bad luck on the big whiting. I would have liked to see one on the brag mat almost as much as you.

Thanks Pete, is the basin firing at the moment? I am planning to come down very soon and target some prawns as well as flathead.

11 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice haul mate! 

I’ve found it tough going on the nippers down there in the past too. Plenty of holes but not many coming up.

Couple of nice trevs! 👍
Heard that good sized trevs are also being caught around jibbon point atm.

Thanks Larkin, interesting to hear.

10 hours ago, Crabstar said:

Still a great catch mate.

I hoping to get out this Friday night and get a few poddies for live bait before chasing a jew later that night in the hacking somewhere. Did you see many poddies zipping around on the flats?

Thanks mate, surprisingly I didn't see any poddies which isn't usually the case. Just lots of little whitebait, maybe up SWA would be the go for the poddies?

12 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Thanks Pete, is the basin firing at the moment? I am planning to come down very soon and target some prawns as well as flathead.

It’s patchy Isaac, not a whole lot being caught and the lack of boats out confirms it across the board. Still some trophy flatties and jew out there if you’re willing to put in the hours and effort.

• Thanks 1