Sugapen and mono & fluorocarbon

faker

So this morning I was spending time working my sugapen & blades. What I have started to notice is that  I get wayyy better action on a monoleader then flouro leader as some times a long flouro leader can Actually sinks the sugapen when working it.

Can someone confirm? @Niall would love your input on this

1 hour ago, faker said:

So this morning I was spending time working my sugapen & blades. What I have started to notice is that  I get wayyy better action on a monoleader then flouro leader as some times a long flouro leader can Actually sinks the sugapen when working it.

Can someone confirm? @Niall would love your input on this

I was using a 6lb co-polymer leader for a while. It was good but I never really noticed much difference in affecting the action of my lures or making it easier to work them. I switched to using 12-16lb fluro as I’m fishing a lot of structure on the kayak and need to be able to pull fish away pretty fast sometimes. Also it’s a bit of insurance for when the occasional kingfish takes a liking. The fish don’t mind at all and I lose less lures. 

I’ve not really explored using mono as leader for surface as I haven’t ever felt the need to. Not quite sure what would explain it - might be something weird about my way of doing it. I’ve honestly never had much issue with sinking leader. 

Probably best just to play around with it and see what works for you. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Niall said:

I was using a 6lb co-polymer leader for a while. It was good but I never really noticed much difference in affecting the action of my lures or making it easier to work them. I switched to using 12-16lb fluro as I’m fishing a lot of structure on the kayak and need to be able to pull fish away pretty fast sometimes. Also it’s a bit of insurance for when the occasional kingfish takes a liking. The fish don’t mind at all and I lose less lures. 

I’ve not really explored using mono as leader for surface as I haven’t ever felt the need to. Not quite sure what would explain it - might be something weird about my way of doing it. I’ve honestly never had much issue with sinking leader. 

Probably best just to play around with it and see what works for you. 

Can I ask length of your leaders?

In summer I have a dedicated rod set up for surface, usually MMD Splash prawn. I use about 1.5 meters of 12 lb mono. As Drivin 21 said It floats. 12 lb helps it track straighter.  But I have also used the splash prawn on 8 lb fluro and it works. Keep the rod tip up .   Sugar Pen is more of a walk the dog lure so Mono would help keep it on the surface!