Mullet success and bream too!

kantong

Off the back of raiders feedback, I went out with my boy in search for mullet. This time we came good!

The things that worked well:

• Bread crust as bait, floats really well
  • Small float to keep baits off the bottom
  • Rod tip kept high and strike lightly

It took a little bit of time to get the timing right, but once that came good, we started getting mullet more regularly.

A legal sized bream thrown in for fun had the small 1000c reel screaming as the drag was set quite loose. It nearly bricked us in the snags.

Cannot wait to hone in on this skill so we can start using the mullet for bigger fish!

A big thank you to the raiders for their feedback!

mullet 2.jpg

mullet1.jpg

bream.jpg

• Like 13

Is there anything better than getting the heads up from fellow Raiders and taking your son out fishing? Great that you worked out a plan for catching the Mullet and seeing the by-catch Bream take the bait. I hope that your son enjoyed his fishing and is keen to go again.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kantong said:

Off the back of raiders feedback, I went out with my boy in search for mullet. This time we came good!

The things that worked well:

• Bread crust as bait, floats really well
  • Small float to keep baits off the bottom
  • Rod tip kept high and strike lightly

It took a little bit of time to get the timing right, but once that came good, we started getting mullet more regularly.

A legal sized bream thrown in for fun had the small 1000c reel screaming as the drag was set quite loose. It nearly bricked us in the snags.

Cannot wait to hone in on this skill so we can start using the mullet for bigger fish!

A big thank you to the raiders for their feedback!

mullet 2.jpg

mullet1.jpg

bream.jpg

Well done to both you and your son on a successful trip! Fishing involves a lifetime of learning new skills for different species - clearly you have what it takes to become a great angler and educate the next generation as well 👍

• Like 1

Hi Kantong,

Well done!

Mullet are not only a top fighting fish, they make great bait and are an excellent feed.

I know a professional fisherman and oyster farmer and the only fish he'll eat is mullet.

So here's to the humble mullet...a great fish but a dreadful haircut!

KB

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 4:53 PM, big Neil said:

Is there anything better than getting the heads up from fellow Raiders and taking your son out fishing? Great that you worked out a plan for catching the Mullet and seeing the by-catch Bream take the bait. I hope that your son enjoyed his fishing and is keen to go again.

Cheers, bn

Thanks @big Neil - A successful outing and looking forward to the next one!

On 12/15/2023 at 9:00 PM, Yowie said:

Fishraiders are here to give you free advice. Good to see you pulled out a few mullet.

Thanks @Yowie, great community we have here!

On 12/15/2023 at 9:03 PM, bessell1955 said:

Well done.

Thanks @bessell1955

On 12/15/2023 at 9:25 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Always good to score the target species! Great job @kantong!

Thanks @Little_Flatty, it's an awesome feeling!

On 12/15/2023 at 11:03 PM, FishingFables said:

Well done to both you and your son on a successful trip! Fishing involves a lifetime of learning new skills for different species - clearly you have what it takes to become a great angler and educate the next generation as well 👍

Thanks @FishingFables, there's always something to learn.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:33 AM, Green Hornet said:

Great to see your plan come together along with some welcome bycatch. Well done both of you.

Thanks @Green Hornet, can't complain about a bream!

On 12/16/2023 at 9:45 AM, Robbo from Sydney said:

This is one of the things that really sets Fishraider and its "family" apart and being an information sponge I have picked up so much in the last few years

Thanks @Robbo from Sydney, these forums are a wealth of information.

On 12/16/2023 at 3:25 PM, Koalaboi said:

Hi Kantong,

Well done!

Mullet are not only a top fighting fish, they make great bait and are an excellent feed.

I know a professional fisherman and oyster farmer and the only fish he'll eat is mullet.

So here's to the humble mullet...a great fish but a dreadful haircut!

KB

Thanks @Koalaboi, do mullet do well as salted baits? 

On 12/16/2023 at 7:11 PM, Larkin said:

That’s it Kantong!

Looks like little changes made all the difference. 
well done 👍 

Thanks @Larkin - it's all in the details!

On 12/17/2023 at 7:45 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

@kantong kantongjnr is becoming a very good angler (like his Dad)

I really like your formatting of report. Spacing and dot point makes it easy for me to scan 😄

Thanks @mrsswordfisherman, hopefully the boy is a lifelong angler! 

• Like 1

Hi Kantong,

I have not used salted mullet but am pretty sure it would be an excellent bait. I salted some beach worms then froze them. Pulled them out a few weeks later, used them but left them in the boot of my car for a few weeks. Decided to try them anyway and they worked a treat.

I think that salting baits is a good way to not only keep them but also toughen them up a bit so they last a little longer on the hook.

That being said, live bait is the best, next fresh, next lightly salted.

I'm sure there are others on this site who can give better advice than me but that's what I feel.

KB

• Like 1