Japan tackle prices

faker

I have been in Japan 4 days and visited 4 tackle stores in half a day. But goodness things in Australia are stupendously expensive now I look at it. A stradic literally cost you around 230-250 aud when retailers sell it for 379. The mere selection and variety is enough to make head explode

Braid is 20 to 30 % cheaper same for flouro. 

On 12/28/2023 at 7:31 PM, Green Hornet said:

I’ve been buying most of my larger tackle purchases, including braid, from Japanese stores for many years now.

When the exchange rate is good you’ll get things for half the price you pay here and their shipping is not much more than you pay in Australia.

I know from chats with an old-fashioned tackle store owner, Australia's Shimano importer won't honour Shimano warranty. How do you go with claims?

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

I know from chats with an old-fashioned tackle store owner, Australia's Shimano importer won't honour Shimano warranty. How do you go with claims?

I’ve never needed to claim warranty on any reel I’ve bought in my life. So I’m that far ahead of things in that regard that I don’t care. 
I imagine if needed you could send it back to Japan for a warranty claim. Tackle stores over there are extremely helpful and polite, plus shipping only takes a week at most.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I’ve never needed to claim warranty on any reel I’ve bought in my life. So I’m that far ahead of things in that regard that I don’t care. 
I imagine if needed you could send it back to Japan for a warranty claim. Tackle stores over there are extremely helpful and polite, plus shipping only takes a week at most.

Shipping a rod back is painful though 

Just now, faker said:

Shipping a rod back is painful though 

Not if you keep the tube it came in. I keep most of my original tubes for storage in the garage, as the rods I’ve imported from Japan are all high end and deserve the best of care.

5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Japanese domestic market and export  models may vary (https://japantackle.com/tackle_topics/made_in_japan.htm), but no point asking about parts and repair, I suppose. 

JDM aside, buying direct seems a good choice for you. Everyone's day spent fishing is different. I suspect my reel's beach environment tossing lead slugs may have been a lot harder treatment than most reels suffer. I had a couple of warranties honored. Another time, repaired for the cost of parts.  I am very grateful to the tackle shop owner and Shimano for each occasion.  Minimum necessary time out of service and no mucking around with paperwork each time. "leave it with me", then sometime around the promised date, "your reel is ready; no charge" came the voice when I walked in the door. He offered very inexpensive service, as well. So inexpensive I couldn't pass it up. 

The other aspect of a tackle shop owned by a crazy keen fisho is the advice. BCF, etc  outcompeted such places around here. My nearest is about 20+ minutes away. That's incredibly inconvenient compared to the well-stocked bait shop that closed it doors that was about 5 minutes away.  Bearing in mind it is highly unlikely I will be tossing lures of the sand like I was for about 10 years, direct from Japan is now a  viable option. 

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Japanese domestic market and export  models may vary (https://japantackle.com/tackle_topics/made_in_japan.htm), but no point asking about parts and repair, I suppose. 

JDM aside, buying direct seems a good choice for you. Everyone's day spent fishing is different. I suspect my reel's beach environment tossing lead slugs may have been a lot harder treatment than most reels suffer. I had a couple of warranties honored. Another time, repaired for the cost of parts.  I am very grateful to the tackle shop owner and Shimano for each occasion.  Minimum necessary time out of service and no mucking around with paperwork each time. "leave it with me", then sometime around the promised date, "your reel is ready; no charge" came the voice when I walked in the door. He offered very inexpensive service, as well. So inexpensive I couldn't pass it up. 

The other aspect of a tackle shop owned by a crazy keen fisho is the advice. BCF, etc  outcompeted such places around here. My nearest is about 20+ minutes away. That's incredibly inconvenient compared to the well-stocked bait shop that closed it doors that was about 5 minutes away.  Bearing in mind it is highly unlikely I will be tossing lures of the sand like I was for about 10 years, direct from Japan is now a  viable option. 

Tossing metals from the beach is my favorite form of fishing these days and I totally get what you’re saying about the harsh environment and the toll it can take on reels. The 2 main reels I use are a Daiwa Morethan 3021H that I bought back in 2015 and Stradic SW 4000XG that’s a couple of years old, both bought from Japan and still going strong. Neither reel has ever needed a repair and I guess I’m lucky enough to be able to service them myself, so they’re kept free of sand and in tip top condition.

I still buy all my terminals and most of my lures from a shop I’ve been visiting for over 50 years and although they now trade under one of the larger franchise banners, they are still the same family run store I’ve seen passed down through 3 generations of keen fishermen.

I also understand the whole support your local guy thing, but I’m a self funded retiree and doing my best to remain that way for the rest of my life. Charity begins at home and saving a few bucks where I can goes a long way to helping me achieve my goal.

Overall I can honestly say I’ve been buying JDM stuff, mostly reels, for roughly 20 years and have never had a negative experience whatsoever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Not if you keep the tube it came in. I keep most of my original tubes for storage in the garage, as the rods I’ve imported from Japan are all high end and deserve the best of care.

Any issues of ordering rods from overseas? It's expensive buying it and then having it in oversized on flight

40 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Tossing metals from the beach is my favorite form of fishing these days and I totally get what you’re saying about the harsh environment and the toll it can take on reels. The 2 main reels I use are a Daiwa Morethan 3021H that I bought back in 2015 and Stradic SW 4000XG that’s a couple of years old, both bought from Japan and still going strong. Neither reel has ever needed a repair and I guess I’m lucky enough to be able to service them myself, so they’re kept free of sand and in tip top condition.

I still buy all my terminals and most of my lures from a shop I’ve been visiting for over 50 years and although they now trade under one of the larger franchise banners, they are still the same family run store I’ve seen passed down through 3 generations of keen fishermen.

I also understand the whole support your local guy thing, but I’m a self funded retiree and doing my best to remain that way for the rest of my life. Charity begins at home and saving a few bucks where I can goes a long way to helping me achieve my goal.

Overall I can honestly say I’ve been buying JDM stuff, mostly reels, for roughly 20 years and have never had a negative experience whatsoever. 

One more question, can you film how to pull apart a stradic for servicing next time?

15 minutes ago, faker said:

Any issues of ordering rods from overseas? It's expensive buying it and then having it in oversized on flight

No problem whatsoever. I’ve ordered rods up to just under 3 meters (2 piece) and freight is quite reasonable, probably cheaper than you’d think. They do things different over there, you place your online order, then they contact you with the total cost including freight. You can back out if you feel their charges are unreasonable.

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Good to hear in context with your usage. I am also a self-funded retiree. I was servicing my own until the price to have someone else do it became too attractive. My fishing now is likely not to involve a lot of beach or very hard pulling fish so, over-gunned describes my current reel situation.

Looking at going back to Luderick fishing, my current disappointment is a Luderick reel.  My Avon clagged up with fatigued metal sitting idle and I made the mistake of thinking, "I'll buy another if I need it, as I sent it to reel heaven".  Highlighting a down-side of mail order, I read reviews and decided to buy an Alvey Luderick reel bought via mail. IMO it is not in the same class as the Avon. On the bright side, I still have my Butterworth bent tip rod. It's battered but working. 

Edited by Steve0
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, faker said:

One more question, can you film how to pull apart a stradic for servicing next time?

Google up Alan Tani stradic service, or similar, I'm sure he has done  review on them, he is a good source of info on most reels and a top bloke.

Most of those spinning reels, once you have done one, if you pull up a schematic of the particular reel, there pretty basic to service them

• Like 1

@Steve0 I love my luderick fishing as well. Shame about the Avon and to hear you’re not happy with the Alvey.
 There’s a guy on the north coast that goes by the name of Tempo that makes a true centerpin, very similar in specs to an Avon or similar Grice and Young reel, but out of more durable materials to suit our saltwater conditions. They are quite popular with keen luderick fishermen and very good quality. Message me if you’d like more information.

I post some pics shortly as the photos are on another PC.

• Like 1

Correct, no line guide on the Tempo due to the fact that most luderick fishermen remove them from their Avons.

Now that they’re discontinued and if yours is in good condition, the Alveys are quite collectible and you could possibly sell it for the same price, or even more than what you paid for it, should you wish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Correct, no line guide on the Tempo due to the fact that most luderick fishermen remove them from their Avons.

Now that they’re discontinued and if yours is in good condition, the Alveys are quite collectible and you could possibly sell it for the same price, or even more than what you paid for it, should you wish.

I let the water drift take line off my reel and found the Avon line guide handy when the wind blew, so left it place. I could easily manage one without a guide but...

Thanks for the value advice. My Alvey is pristine and currently resides in its original box.  I am never keen on the process of selling but if the price is good, it may be worth the inconvenience and annoyance.

31 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

I let the water drift take line off my reel and found the Avon line guide handy when the wind blew, so left it place. I could easily manage one without a guide but...

Thanks for the value advice. My Alvey is pristine and currently resides in its original box.  I am never keen on the process of selling but if the price is good, it may be worth the inconvenience and annoyance.

Always plenty of good 2nd hand Avons going on eBay too, especially if keep an eye on the UK site. Shipping from over there can be a killer though, unless you can get the reel for a good price to compensate.

Agree with you re the line guide too. I kept it on a reel that I use braid with for extra long drifts and it helps a lot with the softer line.

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Agree with you re the line guide too. I kept it on a reel that I use braid with for extra long drifts and it helps a lot with the softer line.

I've never used braid when float fishing, only tough mono right to the hook. Everything else has been braid only for about 10 years. It's time to think about floating braid and flouro leader, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

I've never used braid when float fishing, only tough mono right to the hook. Everything else has been braid only for about 10 years. It's time to think about floating braid and flouro leader, 

It’s a different feeling through the rod that’s for sure. Even at around 50m out it’s just a gentle lift of the rod to set the hook, otherwise you snap the trace.

For closer range fishing, I still think mono is the go.

• Like 1

I tried to get a bud to get a Saltiga 500 XH this week while he was in Japan and he was told he could not order it from the shop and had to buy online. Also said the 24 5000 XH would be released in March 24.  Only the older Saltiga was available from the shop in Tokyo.