Sydney Harbour - the Heads and Outside and a lesson from @The Rev.

Pickles

Took a newbie out for his first fishing trip in Sydney (had only been fishing once in Auckland 15 years before) and thought it’d be fun for him to hook into some kings. Although I knew there was plenty of live bait around, I was pretty sure squid from the day before would produce the goods and based on the surface action, I was confident we’d get into some salmon, tailor or mackerel on metal slugs, if all else failed, (reports of bust ups in the harbour were pretty numerous from the charter boys).

I’d been talking with my buddy- @The Rev the day before and we planned to meet up and head off shore. Ian &  had 13 kings (all rats - as the pic shows), when Bruce turned up and as so often happens, they turned off 😳. I suggested we go to a reef towards Long reef where we bagged some really good Trag the day before. I marked this on the sounder (I thought) so getting on top of the fish would not be hard, HOWEVER, I don’t know how, but I didn’t “save” it and couldn’t find the spot. Even though I followed the trail I just could not get on to them again. @The Rev suggested we go to a reef he knew of and target some Trag and snapper -  he headed off, but weaknesses are strengths taken too far and  I wanted to find the spot and persevered - to our detriment as I could not get onto fish. Bruce called us over when he’d bagged several nice Trag, but when we turned up (to see he and his buddy landing a nice Trag), by the time we were set up - they turned off. He kindly gave us some Yakkas and salted bonito and we got a few reef fish (not target species), but only one Trag.

They day finished off well though, as we flicked some slugs into a diving flock of gulls and bagged some slimies feeding on the surface.

Ian had a good day and took home a feed of Trag - one of the best eating fish in the sea, even nicer than flathead, Jew, Barra or Kingies (and way ahead of snapper or bream - in my opinion).

I'm not sure how many Trag @The Rev boated but it was many more than us and his buddy Dave had a day to remember.

IMG_2098.jpeg

• Like 19

I totally agree Bob - trag is my favourite fish to eat battered!
I find the schools of Trag will move around an area, there one day, gone the next and then back again.

It’s always a hard call to move from a spot you had success at days earlier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

I totally agree Bob - trag is my favourite fish to eat battered!
I find the schools of Trag will move around an area, there one day, gone the next and then back again.

It’s always a hard call to move from a spot you had success at days earlier.

Still a new species for me Chris, only caught a few dozen over the years and mostly only happened upon them, but like to target them - seem to be like Jewies and very moon sensitive. 

Firstly, Happy New Year Bob. Good that you caught up with the Rev although things didn't go to plan fishing-wise. You always seem to end up with something, testimony to your keenness and knowledge of the piscatorial world. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Hi Bob - it was great to see you out there.  We ended up with 4 in quick succession before the bite shut down. I wouldn’t be surprised if a shark turned up. It happens regularly when they are on the bite.  We could have caught more but I was taking my brother who had never fished before and I ended up helping him moist of the time that the bite started. He loved it! Being on holidays at present I have been away from teh computer and haven’t posted about the as a result.  Bruce