Sussex Inlet

Hello all, been a while since a report as these holidays haven’t been as fruitful as previous. Besides a few semi-decent spinning sessions of the beach resulting in a few tailor and some lure sessions up local creeks today was the first decent day.

After 2 weeks of struggling to find poddie mullet, I finally found some and made plans to head out early. Launched at 530 and made my way with a mate to the main basin and started a drift along a patch we had had previous luck in. Slow start but eventually boated a few fish, myself landing all 5 and my mate only managing a pufferfish. Biggest going 56 smallest 37.

Happy new year to all

IMG_0896.thumb.jpeg.e181c43441487d593599e3eb3ee1dc5a.jpeg

• Like 15

45 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Dark coloured flatties, water must have been a little deeper. Nice fillets in that lot.

Thanks Yowie, flatties weren’t sitting too deep just water colour very murky at the moment in the basin.

29 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well done Isaac- 56 is a really good flathead. Must have been frustrating for your mate only getting the puffer 😆

Thanks Bob, doesn’t affect me, I get all the fish😁

16 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice fish Isaac. Judging by the lack of trailers at the ramps this morning, I’m guessing the fishing is tough in The Basin at the moment.

Thanks Pete, personally don’t think it’s slow, just got all the fish up on the edges out of the way of all the jellyfish. Just got to find a patch of fish and keep fishing it

• Like 2

First timer here on the forum and at Sussex at the moment. We had a good couple of mornings at the entrance into the Basin on 29 & 30th December (caught a modest feed of flathead and bream) but been struggling since then. Been wondering what impact the tidal flow has given the depth change seems minimal and if the moon rise / set cycles are working against us in the mornings.

Would appreciate some local advice if it isn’t too much trouble.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stelz said:

First timer here on the forum and at Sussex at the moment. We had a good couple of mornings at the entrance into the Basin on 29 & 30th December (caught a modest feed of flathead and bream) but been struggling since then. Been wondering what impact the tidal flow has given the depth change seems minimal and if the moon rise / set cycles are working against us in the mornings.

Would appreciate some local advice if it isn’t too much trouble.

My advice is to move away from the entrance and fish the weed edges in the Basin itself. At this time of year most species are switched into feeding on prawns and this is where they’ll be.

If you don’t have an electric motor try to choose a bank where the wind will blow you parallel and concentrate right on the deeper edge where the weed meets the sand. All the usual methods work, but in my opinion lures will outfish bait as you cover more ground when you fan your casts.

The Basin lacks any real hard structure, so there is no secret spot. Just move around until you find fish and then work that area over thoroughly, just like Isaac did and you should score.

Hope this helps and gets you onto a few nice fish.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

My advice is to move away from the entrance and fish the weed edges in the Basin itself. At this time of year most species are switched into feeding on prawns and this is where they’ll be.

If you don’t have an electric motor try to choose a bank where the wind will blow you parallel and concentrate right on the deeper edge where the weed meets the sand. All the usual methods work, but in my opinion lures will outfish bait as you cover more ground when you fan your casts.

The Basin lacks any real hard structure, so there is no secret spot. Just move around until you find fish and then work that area over thoroughly, just like Isaac did and you should score.

Hope this helps and gets you onto a few nice fish.

Thanks Peter - will persevere.

• Like 1

Well, I had good fortune this afternoon fishing the Sussex weed edges (got some shelter from the wind) and landed this 43cm bream.

PB for me and made all on-board very happy. Glad I recently joined the forum and hope to be able to give back to it in due course. Thank for the tips Peter

IMG_1106.thumb.jpeg.b64a6571fb247fb3e2dafeabf2df574b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stelz said:

Well, I had good fortune this afternoon fishing the Sussex weed edges (got some shelter from the wind) and landed this 43cm bream.

PB for me and made all on-board very happy. Glad I recently joined the forum and hope to be able to give back to it in due course. Thank for the tips Peter

IMG_1106.thumb.jpeg.b64a6571fb247fb3e2dafeabf2df574b.jpeg

That's a fabulous Bream and good to see that you're benefitting from the forum. Look forward to your future contributions.   bn

@Stelz I hate to burst your bubble mate, but that’s a tarwhine, not a bream. They’re a bit rounder at the front of the head and have those dark stripes running down their flanks that you can easily see in your photo.

All the same it’s a terrific fish and the biggest tarwhine I’ve seen come out of the basin by a fair margin. Excellent catch.

Glad to hear the weed edges worked for you and more than happy to help.

Edited by Green Hornet

57 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

@Stelz I hate to burst your bubble mate, but that’s a tarwhine, not a bream. They’re a bit rounder at the front of the head and have those dark stripes running down their flanks that you can easily see in your photo.

All the same it’s a terrific fish and the biggest tarwhine I’ve seen come out of the basin by a fair margin. Excellent catch.

Glad to hear the weed edges worked for you and more than happy to help.

That's what I thought too @Green Hornet. Which makes it an even more meritorious catch.

@Stelz did you have a picture of it on a brag mat? If so, that's equal first place for the Tarwhine FR record.

• Like 1