Might be moving

noelm

After years of living in the one spot, we are thinking of moving, same street, but without the fabulous view, still on the water, but just thinking about the future and downsizing. The new place has all the living/entertaining on the ground floor, so as age creeps up, it’s time…….a house has come up (rare in my area) that suits us, we know the owners and they are moving on (medical reasons) and I can’t believe it, but, we are on the verge of signing up, probably official on Tuesday, all going well. The whole thing scares the living daylights out of me, talking millions of dollars send shivers down my spine, I am very much a “comfort zone” type, and this is way outside that. Sure I will miss the view, the back street access and living in the premium location in the entire Headland, but……….I will still have fishing in a 30 second walk, beach access in a minute, it’s all still there, I just can’t “see” it as good, still have a view though.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, noelm said:

After years of living in the one spot, we are thinking of moving, same street, but without the fabulous view, still on the water, but just thinking about the future and downsizing. The new place has all the living/entertaining on the ground floor, so as age creeps up, it’s time…….a house has come up (rare in my area) that suits us, we know the owners and they are moving on (medical reasons) and I can’t believe it, but, we are on the verge of signing up, probably official on Tuesday, all going well. The whole thing scares the living daylights out of me, talking millions of dollars send shivers down my spine, I am very much a “comfort zone” type, and this is way outside that. Sure I will miss the view, the back street access and living in the premium location in the entire Headland, but……….I will still have fishing in a 30 second walk, beach access in a minute, it’s all still there, I just can’t “see” it as good, still have a view though.

I’ll swap my hour drive for your 30 second walk if you’re not happy.We’re we all live there’s pros and cons for all of us.I can guarantee you guys have all the water views all around there but I can also guarantee none of you are on 100 acres like us too.

pros and cons.

Enjoy your new home and just tie the furniture to the dog to move it for you.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It’s a big thing for me, I am not a big mover, my life has always been stable, boring almost, but, that’s just me, only a couple of jobs my entire working life, and only ever lived in this street, pretty dull hey? But not only does the new house suit us now (it’s not small by any means) we will walk away with a decent bag of dollars, which is a bonus too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Getting professionals in to do the move, can’t be bothered with utes and trailers, carrying stuff down stairs and so on. The garage is going to be a big job, all sorts of tools and fishing gear, kayaks (4) surfboards (5) bait freezer, cabinets and who knows what else, then there’s the back garage as well……one issue is some of the furniture doesn’t fit down the stairs, it came up over the balcony, so that will be “interesting” not too sure what they will do, at least going out, it’s all “down hill” 

Edited by noelm

17 minutes ago, noelm said:

It’s a big thing for me, I am not a big mover, my life has always been stable, boring almost, but, that’s just me, only a couple of jobs my entire working life, and only ever lived in this street, pretty dull hey? But not only does the new house suit us now (it’s not small by any means) we will walk away with a decent bag of dollars, which is a bonus too.

I’m the same mate.Not interested in moving or even knowing anyone.We stick to close family and that’s it.Any neighbours in our lives get a quick wave/hi and that’s it.

I reckon I’d need 5 life times to move all the 💩I’ve got and that’s just mowers and tools.

I had one of the mrs friends over the other week to look at our pool and she looks up on the top tier of the yard and says “That’s a huge granny flat you guys put in”. I said that’s my shed and she nearly curled over.😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, noelm said:

Getting professionals in to do the move, can’t be bothered with utes and trailers, carrying stuff down stairs and so on. The garage is going to be a big job, all sorts of tools and fishing gear, kayaks (4) surfboards (5) bait freezer, cabinets and who knows what else, then there’s the back garage as well……one issue is some of the furniture doesn’t fit down the stairs, it came up over the balcony, so that will be “interesting”

Don’t blame you mate.Lower furniture by rope over balcony.

43 minutes ago, noelm said:

But not only does the new house suit us now (it’s not small by any means) we will walk away with a decent bag of dollars, which is a bonus too.

The view, or the dollars? Take the dollars bonus, you still are within casting distance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Don’t blame you mate.Lower furniture by rope over balcony.

I don’t know how they will do it, the lounges were put on top of the truck, then they climbed up and passed them to the guys on the balcony, the fridge came up on a hoist type gizmo, everything else fits down the stairs. The issue is, the stairs are narrow (ish) and there’s a turn half way!

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

The view, or the dollars? Take the dollars bonus, you still are within casting distance.

Actually I am a tiny bit closer to my fly fishing spot, but a bit further from the beach, but only by  a dozen steps or so! I will miss seeing the schools of fish breaking up and being able to just run over and cast to them, but then, launching the kayaks is out the back gate, rather than down the road…..the dollars are attractive, most don’t move house and make a profit.

• Like 2

Noel the downsizing process is tough work, having witnessed my parents and my mother-in-law do it. But none of them regret it. A lot of work saved, leaving more time for leisure/family/friends time, future accessibility concerns were allayed and they moved to more desirable locations.

You're in a great spot and you're right to not move far.

Hope it all goes well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Noel the downsizing process is tough work, having witnessed my parents and my mother-in-law do it. But none of them regret it. A lot of work saved, leaving more time for leisure/family/friends time, future accessibility concerns were allayed and they moved to more desirable locations.

You're in a great spot and you're right to not move far.

Hope it all goes well.

It’s funny, we are “downsizing” to 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, triple garage……….but, it’s a “downsize in maintenance and ground floor living. As it stands, the stairs are no problem, we are a long way from a nursing home (I hope) and when that time does come, a suitable place might not be available. Going from where I live now to anywhere else is a step down (in my opinion) so there’s only a couple of places I would consider moving to, and this place is one of them, and it’s on the market, so now is the time (I hope)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, noelm said:

It’s funny, we are “downsizing” to 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, triple garage……….but, it’s a “downsize in maintenance and ground floor living. As it stands, the stairs are no problem, we are a long way from a nursing home (I hope) and when that time does come, a suitable place might not be available. Going from where I live now to anywhere else is a step down (in my opinion) so there’s only a couple of places I would consider moving to, and this place is one of them, and it’s on the market, so now is the time (I hope)

That’s far from a downsize mate.😂Once it’s done you won’t look back.

You don’t want to get to the stage my father in-law is at where he basically sits on the lounge watching tv 24/7 living in a house with lawns, gardens etc going to ruins and being a silly old bugger that won’t listen.

He does nothing and everything’s gone to 💩.

When the day comes I can’t mow my own lawns, tend to my gardens, maintain everything myself is the day I hang up the keys for ever without a second thought and I can tell you even at 49 it’s approaching very fast.

I won’t let family, contractors, tradies, anyone do anything for me even if they did it for free as A it’s not right and B no one will do as good a job as I will.

Look at it as turning another chapter in your life.

• Like 2

There’s a lot of truth in what you say! We are fit and healthy, certainly not speedsters anymore, but, mowing a small lawn, general building “stuff” and fixing things is still no problem, gardening is a kind of hobby for us, it’s not a “job” and we live by the gardeners motto “do a little bit often” rather than let everything get over grown, you just get out and “potter” (I hate that word, it implies old age) I will still have a small vege garden, the new lawn is at best 15 minutes mowing, including putting the clipping in the green bin. Our current house is double brick, but rendered, so, painting is a huge job every few years, the new place is not rendered, it’s just brick (and to be honest, not great looking bricks, in my opinion) it’s got a huge driveway and lots of boat/car parking without fooling around, there’s a big Gumtree in the front yard that I will attempt to remove, Council pending approval. First plans are a pool and a fire pit, something we have always had since the early ‘80s. People ask why a pool when we live on the beach? It’s really simple, nothing beats a family get together, in the summer and grandkids/kids/adults having fun in a pool! I always act like a cranky old fart and yell “no bombing” until I get close, then bomb the smallest kids……..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, noelm said:

There’s a lot of truth in what you say! We are fit and healthy, certainly not speedsters anymore, but, mowing a small lawn, general building “stuff” and fixing things is still no problem, gardening is a kind of hobby for us, it’s not a “job” and we live by the gardeners motto “do a little bit often” rather than let everything get over grown, you just get out and “potter” (I hate that word, it implies old age) I will still have a small vege garden, the new lawn is at best 15 minutes mowing, including putting the clipping in the green bin. Our current house is double brick, but rendered, so, painting is a huge job every few years, the new place is not rendered, it’s just brick (and to be honest, not great looking bricks, in my opinion) it’s got a huge driveway and lots of boat/car parking without fooling around, there’s a big Gumtree in the front yard that I will attempt to remove, Council pending approval. First plans are a pool and a fire pit, something we have always had since the early ‘80s. People ask why a pool when we live on the beach? It’s really simple, nothing beats a family get together, in the summer and grandkids/kids/adults having fun in a pool! I always act like a cranky old fart and yell “no bombing” until I get close, then bomb the smallest kids……..

Your own pool at your own house leaves any beach for dead in my opinion.I’ve always had one and have one now.Nothing like putting your favourite tunes on or not and lying on your floaty watching the world go by.(I watch the birds and listen to their chirping and have slept out there many times).

Everyone is different.I enjoy my own company and don’t like humans.Give me peace and animals any day over humans.😂😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noelm said:

That's much bigger than what we live in now! That said you do have kids and grandkids coming over a lot, so you do need the space.

The other good thing is that I know you were contemplating going back to work for a bit for something to do, so now you have a decent project to sink your teeth into.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

That's much bigger than what we live in now! That said you do have kids and grandkids coming over a lot, so you do need the space.

The other good thing is that I know you were contemplating going back to work for a bit for something to do, so now you have a decent project to sink your teeth into.

Yeah, there’s nothing to do in the new place, it well maintained and the yards are great. except the “personal touches” like the fire pit, outdoor shower and changing the colour inside…my wife does the interior painting, I’m not allowed to do that, but, this time I think it might be getting some pros in to do it to get it done quick, we have a decent couple of guys who are good and a good price for a weekend “cashie”  All this of course depends on signing Tuesday, there’s always a chance we get “gazumped” but so far, it’s all looking good.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Your own pool at your own house leaves any beach for dead in my opinion.I’ve always had one and have one now.Nothing like putting your favourite tunes on or not and lying on your floaty watching the world go by.(I watch the birds and listen to their chirping and have slept out there many times).

Everyone is different.I enjoy my own company and don’t like humans.Give me peace and animals any day over humans.😂😂

Yep, couldn’t agree more, even after a beach swim, or in the lake behind, the pool is so much fun. People always tell me how much work they are, but….they are wrong! Once you get the hang of it, and it’s setup (we have salt water and heated) plus a robot cleaner, and it’s about half hour a fortnight during summer. I enjoy it actually, even manually vacuum it lots of times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Yep, couldn’t agree more, even after a beach swim, or in the lake behind, the pool is so much fun. People always tell me how much work they are, but….they are wrong! Once you get the hang of it, and it’s setup (we have salt water and heated) plus a robot cleaner, and it’s about half hour a fortnight during summer. I enjoy it actually, even manually vacuum it lots of times.

People that day pools are lots of work wouldn’t know hard work if it hit them on the clacker.Send them to me for a day and they’ll go home realising the rest of their life is a holiday camp.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

People that day pools are lots of work wouldn’t know hard work if it hit them on the clacker.Send them to me for a day and they’ll go home realising the rest of their life is a holiday camp.

Looking after a pool is almost fun, getting out with the hose and fooling around, picking up the thousand pool toys the kids leave behind is not such a big hit though, or picking up the crap they just drop on the ground…..but that’s how “kids” are, even though they are 40 years old.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Looking after a pool is almost fun, getting out with the hose and fooling around, picking up the thousand pool toys the kids leave behind is not such a big hit though, or picking up the crap they just drop on the ground…..but that’s how “kids” are, even though they are 40 years old.

I don’t have those issue mate.99% of the time it’s only me in pool or sometimes the mrs and I.Just the way I like it.

I have an outdoor shower by the pool and when I mow and am boiling over I rinse of under shower and I’m in there.

It’s the best.IMG_1801.thumb.jpeg.877bb61e53425fb93d1894648a85532e.jpeg

• Like 3

Congrats on your " potential " new move Noel.

I'm a firm believer that, Everything happens for a reason, It does sound exactly what you are looking for.

2 Years back, life was normal for us in Melbourne, until a knock at the door from a real-estate agent saying someone is interested in our house, 2 months later we were homeless after selling for a ridiculous amount of money, had an idea where we wanted to go, but the borders were locked down with Covid. Again, everything happens for a reason, we were bunking in a bed and breakfast, desperately waiting to travel north, borders opened, we dashed up here, and bugga me, the first place our agent had lined up for us, we knew was " That perfect place" . This was after 2-3 years coming up this way Looking. We had a real estate agent on the books for us, been dealing with him for about 12 months, he new what we exactly wanted and he came through for us, ironically the day after the borders opened. We saw properties come on the market and were un able to make an offer due to not being able to inspect,, At the time, they told us that 50% of properties were being sold, sight un seen and only off internet walk throughs !!!  Jeez, we couldn't bring ourselves to ever do something like that. but plenty of buyers did.

Your potential purchase, being by word of mouth or knowing the sellers, makes it even better, getting in there without it going on the market is absolutely brilliant and would have saved a whole heap of stress which normal buying and selling brings.

We didn't down size, in fact we went bigger, but because gardening and landscaping is one of our/my interests, 3/4 of an acre of garden area is brilliant for us. Everyone's different in what they downsize/upsize too, the main thing is that it fits your lifestyle, until the inevitable rest home period of our life becomes a reality..

Goodluck, hope the deal comes through for you. 

• Like 1

The house is officially on the market (ours isn’t…yet) but it’s a lot of money and all the “lookers” love the place but offered peanuts, or said “I will get back to you” three open houses so far, dozens of people looking, but, we have near twice the asking price in equity in our current house, so (as long as well sell in time) we are in the box seat….so far, Monday is the day and Tuesday contract signing scheduled. But, it’s still not a done deal for two days, damn I’m nervous.

• Like 1

Ok..

I fully sympathize with the " nervous feel "   It kinda runs with the situation.

If it's meant to be, it will fall into place,  But Yeah, times like this certainly raise the BP  😁..

We decided to turn down the offer from the real estate that knocked on our door, decided that we would take it straight to auction, huge gamble, we could have lost the original buyer. But she turned up, plus other interested buyers and drove the price up another couple of hundred Thou, so it was a good move for us,  BUT, Jeez we doubted ourselves and while sitting inside listening to the live auction, was a whole gamete of emotions..

Think positive, don't think any further ahead than you need too,  secure the new house first, then take everything as it comes, with so much more equity in your existing house, there's wiggle room to move if you have too.

Hope it works out.

• Like 1