Flatties

Went to the central coast today after a session with @DerekD to put the wisdom he imparted to use. Used some soft plastics targeting flathead using my new light gear. Reached there at around 7 so I missed the rising tide and dawn by a bit. The flathead continued to bite for half an hour or so but then decided to stop. I think I landed 6 in that time period but not a single one legal all were around 34cm. I hooked up onto a very nice one and I would guess it to have been around 50-55 cm but I lost him. Then it just went quiet for a few hours. At around 11:30 bites started once again because the tide began to running and for maybe half an hour there was activity. Landed 5 flathead - 4 legals which I took for dinner and one flounder just slightly under which sucks because my dad loves flounder. Overall a good day except for my dad getting spiked pretty bad by a flattie and bleeding for an hour  Which resulted in mr flattie ending up on the frying pan. there was a horrible smell when I was fishing and it smelt like a rotting corpse. I couldn’t figure it out but then I decided to investigate. There were 4 undersized flathead dumped in the bushes and rotting away. Don’t know why but my guess would be someone was up to some illegal activities but then was met by some fisheries officers. While wading in the water also saw many many baby flathead swimming around which is obviously a good sign. 

5D10FBC6-5B3D-4A5C-858F-CBD293B71B46.jpeg

269C59EA-92D9-426B-8AD3-D6C1C77F429C.jpeg

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Nice work, nothing better than fresh flattie fillets. It’s amazing how small flathead will take a lure as big as themselves.

Ye it’s crazy how aggressive they are caught a 15cm one on a zman grub not too long ago

10 minutes ago, Crabstar said:

Solid feed mate. Been a good season so far for the flatties in the rivers.

Yes it has unfortunately the weather has been funny though over the past few weeks

10 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Great post and good to see you put Derek’s tutorial to good use. Nice work on the fillets too, enjoy🙏🏻

Thanks 😃