New Light or UL Rod Recommendations?

linewetter

10 hours ago, linewetter said:

I found the articles section and went down a rabbit hole for a few hours tonight.  A lot of good reading in there from you and other posters.  I read your casting article as well - I'm excited to put it into practice the next time I find myself out there.  I didn't think about things like how my wrist aligns with my forearm but it makes sense.  All these little things that have an effect with following through with the cast effectively.  

Last weekend was my first time lure fishing for several hours in one go as well.  I noticed my index finger was getting uncomfortable from reaching so much for the line when I got ready to cast.  I'm definitely going to try the grip you showed in the article as well.  Glad you took the time and effort to put together these articles, very helpful for the overall fishing community!

I highly recommend, the J braid expedition. I have been using it several months now and its better then your standard shimano 8x and daiwa grand. Siglon adv also one of my favorites

On 1/14/2024 at 9:53 AM, linewetter said:

Hey guys.  I've currently got a 3-5kg combo that I got from <retailer removed>.  I'm mainly using it for soft plastics and targeting the common fish like bream, flathead, whiting, pinkies, etc.  I'm learning that my 3-5kg is kind of overkill for fish like these so I want to purchase a lighter rod so I can have a bit more fun with the fish and also cast lighter lures (like 1/16 jigheads & ~2g topwaters) farther.

Do you guys have any recommendations for something in the $200-250 range?  Will the 1-3kg rod make a big difference in the fun factor?  I'm still new to fishing and really love it but don't have much time to fish so want to make the limited time I have the most enjoyable it can be at a reasonable cost. 

I have been researching a bit on my own and so many choices - have looked over the Daiwa TD Infeet, Daiwa TD Black, Shimano Anarchy, Atomic Arrowz.  All diff price points but looking for something that is good value - something where spending that extra small bit is worth it for what you get in return.

I'm planning to move over my Shimano Sienna 2500HG FG from the combo over to the 1-3kg rod but reel recommendations are welcome too if it would improve my experience dramatically.  Have looked into the Shimano Nasci & Shimano Stradic but not sure if I'm ready to spend the additional if the Sienna would do the job fine for my purposes right now.

Ahh crud, I haven’t been on fishraider in a while but a little while ago there was a really nice discount for the shimano anarchy rods and I picked up the really nice UL rod rated for 1-3kg. Have a look online maybe you might find one

On 1/14/2024 at 9:53 AM, linewetter said:

Hey guys.  I've currently got a 3-5kg combo that I got from <retailer removed>.  I'm mainly using it for soft plastics and targeting the common fish like bream, flathead, whiting, pinkies, etc.  I'm learning that my 3-5kg is kind of overkill for fish like these so I want to purchase a lighter rod so I can have a bit more fun with the fish and also cast lighter lures (like 1/16 jigheads & ~2g topwaters) farther.

Do you guys have any recommendations for something in the $200-250 range?  Will the 1-3kg rod make a big difference in the fun factor?  I'm still new to fishing and really love it but don't have much time to fish so want to make the limited time I have the most enjoyable it can be at a reasonable cost. 

I have been researching a bit on my own and so many choices - have looked over the Daiwa TD Infeet, Daiwa TD Black, Shimano Anarchy, Atomic Arrowz.  All diff price points but looking for something that is good value - something where spending that extra small bit is worth it for what you get in return.

I'm planning to move over my Shimano Sienna 2500HG FG from the combo over to the 1-3kg rod but reel recommendations are welcome too if it would improve my experience dramatically.  Have looked into the Shimano Nasci & Shimano Stradic but not sure if I'm ready to spend the additional if the Sienna would do the job fine for my purposes right now.

Forgot to mention that the rod is currently at $139 so if you just search it up you should find it

On 1/21/2024 at 9:20 PM, AlbertW said:

Forgot to mention that the rod is currently at $139 so if you just search it up you should find it

Do you have a ultralight already? how does it compare?

On 1/17/2024 at 8:06 AM, faker said:

I highly recommend, the J braid expedition. I have been using it several months now and its better then your standard shimano 8x and daiwa grand. Siglon adv also one of my favorites

I have just put on Siglon adv since I found it on sale locally. It is really thin compared to what I previously had and casts pretty nicely. Had to do a few more wraps on my mainline to leader knot since it slipped one time but I assume that’s just due to it being thinner. I really like it so far and the color is vibrant. Hopefully the color stays cause I really like it!

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 9:18 PM, AlbertW said:

Ahh crud, I haven’t been on fishraider in a while but a little while ago there was a really nice discount for the shimano anarchy rods and I picked up the really nice UL rod rated for 1-3kg. Have a look online maybe you might find one

I see it on sale! I wish it was available locally so I could hold it in person and stuff. How strict do you think that lure weighting is? I see it’s 1-5g but wondering how much higher you could go without danger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, linewetter said:

I see it on sale! I wish it was available locally so I could hold it in person and stuff. How strict do you think that lure weighting is? I see it’s 1-5g but wondering how much higher you could go without danger. 

Honestly mate, I think its pretty solid, I just finished spooling the reel that i paired the rod with yesterday and I was casting a 13g zman really easily, the rod was bending a little bit on the weight of the frog so the heaviest I'd use would be around 7-10g

On 1/23/2024 at 8:15 AM, faker said:

Do you have a ultralight already? how does it compare?

Just tested it out and ultralight rods are definitely in a whole nother league. My first UL so I cant compare it to any others

1 minute ago, AlbertW said:

Just tested it out and ultralight rods are definitely in a whole nother league. My first UL so I cant compare it to any others

you mean in casting distance etc?