Derrubbin Bass

The weather report was for strong winds and big seas, so offshore session on Kingies was out and Flatties have been quiet offshore, so plan B = Bass on the Derrubbin.

I took @James Clain and his buddy Brady out for a morning session. We bagged (& released) 40 by 10 am all on deep diving hardbodies in a variety of colours.

IMG_2171.jpeg

IMG_2173.jpeg

IMG_2179.jpeg

IMG_2182.jpeg

• Like 21

Sounds like a great day out, plenty of good sized bass. Not as hard fighting as the kingies you missed out catching, but the bass are still great sport.

• Like 1

@R E G I C Y C L E, I do both and James and Brady caught some on SP’s flicked under structure whilst I was manoeuvring the boat, but there were ski boats pulling skiers and doughnuts around which tend to  push you too close to the trees and rocks. So trolling the drop offs and structure was also the go, but this does result in snags which can be expensive if you lose good quality lures. Some of my favourites are FeralCat signature 5+, stump jumpers, Ogee’s and predator boomerangs.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pickles said:

@R E G I C Y C L E, I do both and James and Brady caught some on SP’s flicked under structure whilst I was manoeuvring the boat, but there were ski boats pulling skiers and doughnuts around which tend to  push you too close to the trees and rocks. So trolling the drop offs and structure was also the go, but this does result in snags which can be expensive if you lose good quality lures. Some of my favourites are FeralCat signature 5+, stump jumpers, Ogee’s and predator boomerangs.

Nice thankyou. If it's not too much to ask, what size stump jumpers (or hardbodies in general) do you use, 55mm no.3's?

• Like 1

Yep, you picked it @R E G I C Y C L E no 3 in 55mm, gold, purple and rainbow trout colour, all painted with red nail polish on the base of the bib. The Feral cats were black, purple, yellow and a light yellow/ gray with body stripes. At the moment that are hitting anything pretty much, we caught fish on every thing we threw at them.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

wow 40 bass in a morning is fantastic. Were they hanging in any particular areas or depths? I assume those lures go quite deep looking at the size of the bibs.

Cheers

Fil

Fil, they were taking just about anything we threw at them and from the surface to 5m. This time last year after the “wet”, they were pelagic and smashing prawns on the surface - I took a buddy out and he even caught one on a halo twisty(tailor lure). We stopped fishin about 9.30 - 10.00 and could have caught twice that number - a very overcast day with a big low and dropping air pressure. I’ve caught them like this before and stopped fishing after we caught (and released) 66 fish.

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1