A few nice whiting and a grey visitor in the Hacking

Headed out in the Hacking yesterday arvo to collect poddies and nippers, fish the last of the run out and the first of the run in.

Headed to Maianbar and loaded up on nippers and a half dozen poddies then tried the channel for an hour with a poddy down for no joy. Headed down river to a flat for a few average whiting then back to try to get some more poddies for the next day. No good on the poddies so I soaked a livey around the Lilli Pilli deep water for half an hour then headed up river to another flat.

The tide was still very low but the whiting came out to play in a foot or two of water on the drift. (My Electric isn't working as II found out the battery was cactus and replaced it today$$$) Closer to high tide I had a visitor on the flat in a grey suit, about 1.5m tall and pretty keen to circle the boat looking for a feed for 15 minutes. I'm not sure if it was a small bull shark or a whaler but it followed me for about 500m on a drift and I gifted it a whiting, all in 3 foot of eater!. Lucky the local who was pumping nippers in waist deep water in his budgie smugglers had already moved on:)

Finished up with a dozen good whiting with 4 very solid fish among them. The whiting seem to out there all over the Hacking atm.

Good to get a fish in before the circus starts on Friday:)

Whiting 23.01.2024.jpg

• Like 16

Nice whiting there Rob. I'm heading out in the morning to beat the circus. 🤣

Should have live baited a whiting for the toothy critter.  😂

The nipper pumper would have provided some brown burley if the toothy critter swam past him.  :074:

• Haha 2

Great feed, well done. Quite the wake up call with the shark after I spent the whole afternoon wading grays point. Someone hooked up to what was likely a shark down there as well today

52 minutes ago, Yowie said:

The nipper pumper would have provided some brown burley if the toothy critter swam past him.  :074:

I think the flats are the go for whiting atm. As for the shark I spoke to a local kayak fisho who said he’s seen it regularly 😜

13 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great feed, well done. Quite the wake up call with the shark after I spent the whole afternoon wading grays point. Someone hooked up to what was likely a shark down there as well today

Yep, that area has some big critters on it, I’ve caught big long Tom, trevs and rays with a pretty big diameter…. The terns smash bait there and a resident eagle cleans up on the surface too!

53 minutes ago, Yowie said:

• Like 1

Should’ve thrown a hook out! Sight fishing at its best. Solid bag of whiting too. 
plenty of sharks about, I was only speaking to a bloke down at Wally’s who catches them regularly on the national park side if the hacking and audly 

On 1/24/2024 at 10:10 PM, Restyle said:

Should’ve thrown a hook out! Sight fishing at its best. Solid bag of whiting too. 
plenty of sharks about, I was only speaking to a bloke down at Wally’s who catches them regularly on the national park side if the hacking and audly 

Yep, the water has warmed right up and the fish are aplenty so the food chain does it’s thing👌