New to Luderick fishing

Birdy

8 hours ago, XD351 said:

I have a mag bream I built- maybe 28yrs ago, maybe 30 I dunno  , total length is a nudge under 11’3 and set up for a sidecast or centre pin. I no longer use this and was only keeping it as I couldn’t bare to see it go in the bin - it’s yours if you want it - it’s not the thing of beauty it once was , it has caught a lot of fish and can still catch a lot more ! They’re not as heavy as the old solid glass rod I had when I was a kid , a lot of that is hype from tackle stores and rod manufacturers trying to sell you the new super duper graphite rods - yeah sure they’re light but are damaged easily and if I had to choose between glass and graphite for fishing off the rocks it would be glass every time.

IMG_0489.thumb.jpeg.66e2f45a062a33a891dec7119f9a8098.jpeg

IMG_0490.thumb.jpeg.bbc0ebbc3a0a199ef8eb0393fadd7407.jpeg

IMG_0491.thumb.jpeg.f4c60759abfd4c3e1f903958733c97ef.jpeg

That looks sickkkk, I'd definitely be keen to have it, I'll cherish it and ensure I make super good use of it. Every blackfish I catch with it I'll say a little prayer for you to have successful fishing missions hahaha. My name's Nick btw👌

Edited by Birdy
Removed phone number
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

@Birdy I have a couple of magbream blackfish rods, one is 11’4” which is the original length of the blank and the other is extended out to 13 foot. While they aren’t the lightest rod going, I certainly wouldn’t call them heavy and they are strong enough in the butt to lift a decent size fish. To source a mag bream these days mightn’t be too easy.
Another good option is a Gary Howard Ocean Blackfish rod. He makes one on a GP3145g blank which has a graphite lower section, blending into a 1 meter fiberglass tip. I have a 2 piece rod and it is very nice to fish with. Light, but still plenty of lifting power in the bottom end. I’m pretty sure he also makes a full fiberglass model if that’s what you prefer.
His rods aren’t all that easy to find in the shops, but are more prevalent around Gosford and Newcastle. He’s from Queensland and I just contacted him directly and got mine couriered to the south coast. Message me if you’d like his contact details.

Later down the track I'll grab his number off you, I think @XD351 has kindly sorted me out for now😍

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Birdy said:

Later down the track I'll grab his number off you, I think @XD351 has kindly sorted me out for now😍

He sure has mate. The magbreams are a highly sought after rod and a great all rounder.

Very generous offer @XD351, may good karma come your way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Birdy said:

That looks sickkkk, I'd definitely be keen to have it, I'll cherish it and ensure I make super good use of it. Every blackfish I catch with it I'll say a little prayer for you to have successful fishing missions hahaha.  my name's Nick👌

No worries Nick , I will send you a pm and it would be a good idea to edit your reply to remove your phone number ! 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DerekD said:

Awwwww..... This thread has given me a warm, glowing feeling.

That was a lovely offer @XD351

Looking forward to seeing more of your reports @Birdy

@XD351 is dropping off the rod and also giving me a spare reel tomorrow morning, he has not only given me the gear but also been kind enough to drop it off (quite far away)!! Honestly so stoked! Yep I will definitely be reporting back with pics :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/26/2024 at 2:24 PM, XD351 said:

No worries Nick , I will send you a pm and it would be a good idea to edit your reply to remove your phone number ! 

What a generous offer you have made XD351. I know that this type of gesture does happen from time to time, but your generosity is right up there mate. Good onya and good on Birdy too who will be giving us all the heads up on his fishing progress.

Well done,    bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No worries I hate to see fishing gear collecting dust ! I thought I would chuck in my old 5 inch alvey ( got it when I was maybe 10 ) so Birdie has the option of using the mag bream for what it was built for - a good all round light rock / beach and medium estuary rod as well as a luderick rod .

• Like 5

UNREAL!!! Just met the one and only @XD351, gave me a few golden tips, had a good chat and passed me the beautiful combo. Once again, thanks heaps mate, ill make great use of it and thanks for driving that far, super kind. STOKED. 

421525418_1451889599042082_5571305420142118364_n.jpg

• Like 9

A note of caution. Every time you cast line sideways off a reel it twists.

Threadlines wind in a way that undoes that twist, but that doesn't totally eliminate the problem for threadline reels. When the drag allows line to run or if someone gets excited and keeps winding without recovering line (due to drag setting), line twist results. 

Sidecasts run put a twist for each wrap of the line around the spool every time you cast sideways off the spool and the wind-in method does nothing to take the twist out. High quality swivels can help but you don't use a swivel between float and reel.  As much as possible, cast minimum distance and let the wash or current do the rest. To take twists out,  I used to walk with line trailing loose along a beach, but towing behind a boat is far better.    

Incidentally, Fuji used to make a sidecast reel so you could quickly alternates the side line ran off . Mine broke a chunk off the rim:(  I prefer a line guide for free spool float fishing (you know where to find your line in windy conditions), so favoured my Avon. 

Some people prefer no line guide. I include the comment only for the reason I don't see a guide on any of the reels @XD351 included in his first post. Centrepin reels with line guide seem very rare these days.   

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Great raider spirit right there Ian. @Birdy where are you in Eastern Subs? 

Ian did you grab any weed :) ? 

Bondi / Tama 👌

• Like 1

True about the line twist but you get used to it and I just strip 20m or so of line off and wind it back on while pinching the line between my index finger and thumb ,I find the twist is usually contained to the last 20m of line . I added the reel mostly to give birdy a few more options with the rod - he can take it with him and change over reels from centre pin to sidecast and use the outfit to fish the washes with unweighted or very lightly weighted baits for bream and pigs , have a few casts of the beach on the way home  or go down to the local estuary and fish there  . He could always use the threadline for luderick- reel position isn’t optimal for casting long distance but he won’t need to do that fishing for luderick , the cast action is more of a gentle side sweep with the rod rather than over shoulder as a conventional cast would be completed. This is how I first started fishing for luderick as a kid because it was all I had - an old solid low mount  luderick rod and a small threadline .You hold the rod exactly the same way as you would if the rod was a high mount - butt under armpit , reel close to chest ( usually resting on your pectoral muscle )and reel handle pointing up , fish an open bail arm and use your index finger to trap the line against the spool lip , releasing the line as needed to keep up with the drift . I fish a centre pin much the same and use my index finger to guide and trap the line and strip line by hand as needed. 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 3