Jervis Bay Rocks (Mermaid's Inlet)

Hey All!

A few weeks back I put out a post asking for information regarding rock fishing around Jervis Bay and was very happy to receive a fair amount of information that led to some awesome fishing!

As someone relatively new to rock fishing (only caught salmon and slimeys) I was keen to catch some bonito and kings and Jervis Bay certainly provided.

Overall roughly 10 bonito and one rat king (60cm - just too small!) were landed across 4x 2-3hr sessions at mermaids inlet (it is still "closed" but in my opinion the track is pretty safe as long as you aren't being an idiot and there were 4-5 other people fishing there every time I was there.) of which I kept 6 of the bonito and made some (in my humble opinion) lovely dishes. On the last session I was quite bummed as a ~90cm king had a curious tap at my 150mm minnow but no hookset was made 😭

I want to thank those who helped me out with info, other sessions at the boat ramp, rock pools and beaches were quite successful but the real fun was definitely the rocks and I have the itch to get out there again!

Attached is a photo of one of the bonito fighting pretty hard, more photos will be sent in replies as they are too big to fit in one post!

Will

IMG_2621.jpeg

Edited by willpethh
  • Like 17

And here's all the cooking! Passionfruit, lime and coriander carpaccio and some classic fish tacos! There's something about researching, catching and cooking your own fish (and having it turn out to be damn tasty too!) that is just so satisfying!

Fillets cut down to size

image.thumb.jpeg.c245196fe51749caca30de70304a1543.jpeg

Fish Tacos!

image.thumb.jpeg.b92f88a34f30a43ae0635d7523bcf2b2.jpeg

And the carpaccio!

image.thumb.jpeg.f2dba7f8a2a8d9b9037ba62eac1cf9a4.jpeg

Once again thank you all for the help!!

• Like 10

in my younger days circa early1980's caught snapper from that very spot in photo as well as witnessed snapper up to 6kg on salted tuna and kingies up to 15kg on live yellowtail.

Those days with a decent 4WD you could drive most of the way in. Use to stay at the Currarong Caravan Park and fished there in our fishing club events as well as ANSA Tournaments. Go Mascot Anglers...

Jim