Crankbait/minnow

faker

Hi guys,

So I have been fishing local streams for bass after work. While I have been able to catch multiple species on soft plastics. 

I seem to struggle with the cranks and minnows.

1.Do fish normally take them near bottom? If that is case I should use deeper divers

2. Is it advisable to use a horizontal sweep to get it deeper or will that mostly spook fish?

3. Is it just slow roll or can you add in some pauses or twitches ?

Best crank or jerk baits for bass I find are the suspending type.

Cast as close as you can to the snags (hit them if you have to), do a few quick cranks to get the lure down, let it suspend for a few seconds and then slow roll back. Throw in some pauses on the retrieve as often the fish will be following it and the pause seems to really piss them off. 

The beauty of suspending lures is they will hang in the zone on the pause rather than float up which is a little less natural for a baitfish.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Fully agree with the above. In regards to your first question, there is no point getting your lure near the bottom. Bass, especially in smaller water will have no issues with coming up to a lure to hit it.

But what about if I was targeting bream. Thanks fir advice btw

Bass will eat most hardbodies they're not particularly fussy

Bream can be painful, light leader is important 8lb max  personally I use a 38mm shallow crank (0.5-1m) slow roll over with the occasional pause and twitch or shake the rod tip usually areas up to 1.5m deep

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Bass will eat most hardbodies they're not particularly fussy

Bream can be painful, light leader is important 8lb max  personally I use a 38mm shallow crank (0.5-1m) slow roll over with the occasional pause and twitch or shake the rod tip usually areas up to 1.5m deep

I am using a osp dunk 48 at the moment for everything 

43 minutes ago, faker said:

I am using a osp dunk 48 at the moment for everything 

The dunk may have a bit tighter action for bass, bass will eat pretty much anything but a hardbody with a wide wobble type action definitely work best

For bass my favourite is Taylor made baby nugget

Bream: prolure crank 38mm shallow and strikepro pygmy

• Like 2

I was actually going to suggest the OSP Dunk, it’s my favorite for bass and always seems to produce. I use the 57mm model. The beauty of the dunk is that it’s a crash diver, so it gets to its maximum depth really quickly.

Another slightly cheaper alternative is the Daiwa Infeet Spike, very similar profile and characteristics to the Dunk.

In my opinion, getting as close to the snags as you can is more crucial than anything. Sometimes you really need to get DEEP into the gnarliest and ugliest snags to get results.

Edited by lastworm
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

The dunk may have a bit tighter action for bass, bass will eat pretty much anything but a hardbody with a wide wobble type action definitely work best

For bass my favourite is Taylor made baby nugget

Bream: prolure crank 38mm shallow and strikepro pygmy

7 hours ago, lastworm said:

I was actually going to suggest the OSP Dunk, it’s my favorite for bass and always seems to produce. I use the 57mm model. The beauty of the dunk is that it’s a crash diver, so it gets to its maximum depth really quickly.

Another slightly cheaper alternative is the Daiwa Infeet Spike, very similar profile and characteristics to the Dunk.

In my opinion, getting as close to the snags as you can is more crucial than anything. Sometimes you really need to get DEEP into the gnarliest and ugliest snags to get results.

I have been using the c28 colour. I was thinking it would do alright for bream and bass.

17072930117853323984543295919008.jpg

Edited by faker
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, faker said:

I have been using the c28 colour. I was thinking it would do alright for bream and bass.

17072930117853323984543295919008.jpg

That's a great price where can I get some lol

I use jackall chubby shallow/atomic hardz crank 38 mid for bream fishing in the <3m depth in upper Parra. I generally start to roll a bit quickly to dive it to the depth I want and slow roll & pause, mixing in a few small side twitch if I'm boring. No issue for bream coming up to hit it.

@faker

Keep working the cranks over distance, you will catch them.

Some days they will want a bigger profile like the Dunk/Spike or sometimes something smaller like the prolure crank or infeet rollin' crank or (insert your fave little crank bait here).

You might have to think about your area as well to get the best results and also what you are trying to achieve. Do you:

• want the lure to hit and bump structure
  • want the lure to glide over the top of structure
  • does it need to run deeper or more shallow
  • do you want more noise and action or less so

These all have an impact on the type of crankbait to use.

For Bream, its usually a very slow roll, like when you think you're going slow go slower!!Then add a few pauses in, especially around or over structure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lhan said:

That's a great price where can I get some lol

I use jackall chubby shallow/atomic hardz crank 38 mid for bream fishing in the <3m depth in upper Parra. I generally start to roll a bit quickly to dive it to the depth I want and slow roll & pause, mixing in a few small side twitch if I'm boring. No issue for bream coming up to hit it.

bargain bin hunt once a week  every tackle store near by. I can send u if u want dm. Since it's against rules in forum

Edited by faker

Atomic 38 in bluegill is my go to bream hard body. its a crank bait so slow roll it ! Quote from Steve Morgan, " if you think your going too slow, Slow down !" Have never forgotten it !

I like to hit the bottom a lot. Stirring up the sand !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluefin said:

Atomic 38 in bluegill is my go to bream hard body. its a crank bait so slow roll it ! Quote from Steve Morgan, " if you think your going too slow, Slow down !" Have never forgotten it !

I like to hit the bottom a lot. Stirring up the sand !

Bluegill? You mean ghost gill right?