Big Neil Visits MNC

Neil decided to take a break and head up the coast and wanted to see if any one was available for a fish. Being retired I thought I could fit him in to my busy schedule 😄 of relaxing.

Unfortunately the dates he decided on it coincided with very strong winds which were to limit our options over a couple of days.

Neil turned up late morning with a knock on the door, a big smile over his face and was keen for a fish but after spending a few hours in the car we thought a cuppa was in order first.
We headed out for a shore spin hoping for a Flatty or two but all we managed to do was scare a couple in the shallows, then headed down into town and mucked around on the wharfs with no luck.

The forecast for the next day was similar, 20-25 knots so the plugged was pulled deciding to head up river the following.

Ive never fished this part of the river before so a bit of exploring was in order and fish or no fish a fun day was in order.

Overnight the wind dropped out of the North and blew a strong colder southerly. Even though we were a fair way from the coast its presence was still felt and limited the fishing to more protected side of the river.

Neil decided to fish a SP and I a Top water.  Second cast Neil says he’s on which turned out to be a legal Flatty but was released.

IMG_7659.thumb.jpeg.8351c5f15a6d19ef28bd13664fb40629.jpeg

Things went quiet so we both changed lures, Neil with a hard body that a friend of his makes and me with a lure that worked back in the day …… but not on this day.

Neil scores a legal Bream and me still nothing.

IMG_7660.thumb.jpeg.bf8b78ae8eac1a5bfd6f062d158712a1.jpeg

IMG_7661.thumb.jpeg.2ba626fd59c54a0584bb1d4c20ba5430.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So after another lure change I started to hook a fewer smaller Bream and Flattys and dropped a couple of reasonable Flattys.

IMG_7666.thumb.jpeg.18f16cebe662c83e7c2368b1306a1cdb.jpeg

Neil kept getting a few wacks and landed a few smaller fish which kept the interest rate up but nothing of note.

We called it a day, a bit disappointing but better than nothing.

Back at the ramp after pulling the boat out Neil gifted me some of his great pottery which was well received by the family when I got home.

Thanks for the company Neil and till next time all the best mate.

IMG_7672.thumb.jpeg.52c33ac94b039296a44ffe4d6dbf5c5a.jpegIMG_7671.thumb.jpeg.688e0be07d8094cc26b71ef1779ec2a9.jpeg

• Like 12

Many thanks for your hospitality, Gordon. I thoroughly enjoyed catching up after so many years.

Though the fishing was tough we gave it a shot and didn't end up fishless. It was really good to get away from the mundaneness of day-to-day routine here in the Riverina. With Pennant Bowls starting next week it was always going to be a bit of pot luck weatherwise, squeezing the trip in.

Hope you put the FeralCatt lure to the test when you get the chance...strange design, but they definitely work ok.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2

Nice work. Maybe not big fish, but certainly a few there to catch. 👍  The wind can be a problem at times.

As for me, I keep the first few for a feed or 2, then release after that if I have plenty. Just to show the wife I can still catch something  and she will have a feed of fresh fish.  😂

• Like 1

Great you blokes could share some ‘Raider camaraderie. The fishing in Sydney has been very similar due to strong winds and big seas - very hard to find a window to get out. That little articulated lure seems to work Neil - I’ve used in freshwater since we last spoke and the Bass and EP’s love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice report @Blackfish and good stuff @big Neil. @Blackfish you now are in a wonderful part of the world…is there anything you miss about Eastwood? (Maybe food a which I would miss - but fishing wise you can’t want for much more!).

I had my time in Sydney and saw many a change. Eastwood was going through a massive change but that’s life , you can’t stop that and I don’t begrudge that either. I really enjoy reading your reports Mike because it brings back memories of where I used to lure fish back in the mid 80’s, Tarban Creek, Lane Cove river, Parramatta river plus the little spots tucked in, we used a Gregory’s street directory to find spots. Where you found a street that ran to a park or bush land on the water that’s where would try.

Do I miss Eastwood, no I don’t. Do I miss the friends I made over all the years, yes I do. Up here I bet a lot of people have seen a massive change over the years but from where I lived it’s nothing. The vibe is more relaxed, the people are more relaxed and friendlier. We have made new friends and “I’m living the dream” 

If you come past let us know, we can have a fish or a Cuppa.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

I had my time in Sydney and saw many a change. Eastwood was going through a massive change but that’s life , you can’t stop that and I don’t begrudge that either. I really enjoy reading your reports Mike because it brings back memories of where I used to lure fish back in the mid 80’s, Tarban Creek, Lane Cove river, Parramatta river plus the little spots tucked in, we used a Gregory’s street directory to find spots. Where you found a street that ran to a park or bush land on the water that’s where would try.

Do I miss Eastwood, no I don’t. Do I miss the friends I made over all the years, yes I do. Up here I bet a lot of people have seen a massive change over the years but from where I lived it’s nothing. The vibe is more relaxed, the people are more relaxed and friendlier. We have made new friends and “I’m living the dream” 

Glad you're enjoying the change Gordon. Eastwood and the whole Ryde area has changed markedly even in the 17 years I've been in the area, though for me, I'd been anticipating and making the most of the changes. Thankfully the fishing is still ok. Hopefully it stays that way.

I will certainly let you know if I pop up to the Mid North Coast. Has been happening a bit in the past couple of years!

• Like 2

Neil. You re looking good after reaching SUNSET STRIP . Good to see you still travelling and catching up with fellow Fishraiders. HI Gordon loving the good life and trying new waters, keep it up. 

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, frankS said:

Neil. You re looking good after reaching SUNSET STRIP . Good to see you still travelling and catching up with fellow Fishraiders. HI Gordon loving the good life and trying new waters, keep it up. 

Frank

Thanks Frank, all the best to you as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Frank

Thanks Frank. Trombones last year, Sunset Strip this year, no idea what it is next year???    bn

4 hours ago, Blackfish said:

You certainly live in a beautiful area Gordon and the people are typical Country folk. Friendly, easy going, and not rushing around any more than necessary. Living the life eh?

bn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great you blokes could share some ‘Raider camaraderie. The fishing in Sydney has been very similar due to strong winds and big seas - very hard to find a window to get out. That little articulated lure seems to work Neil - I’ve used in freshwater since we last spoke and the Bass and EP’s love it.

Sure does work Bob. It swims very well, easy to cast, and doesn't get snagged up as much as the lures with 2 trebles. Oddly the silver and black one outfished the orange striped and yellow striped models. Will have to get some more next time I head your way. Hope you're over your cold/flu. 

bn