Port Hacking

Headed out early this morning to near Lilli Pilli and anchored. Apart from the crabs, and they are only just over size, pulled up the tailor. Plenty of fish jumping in the shallows, guessing they were mullet, pillies and other bait fish. Just under size reddies biting then all quiet.

Headed to Maianbar flats and pumped some nippers, and only the one whiting. Nippers and hooks stolen by toads.

Drifted in a few spots, then the northerly wind picked up and made drifting difficult for the other fish, so headed home.

Spoke to a couple of other fishos, who also reported small catches.

fish.jpeg.432_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Looks like a reasonable amount for a feed Dave, though not up to your usual standard. Never eaten Blue Swimmers, is there much meat in them?

bn

Thanks b.n.

These swimmers are not that big, some meat in them, but a bit fiddly to remove. The larger ones have a good supply of meat. Regardless, they taste pretty good whatever size.

• Like 1

Lots of meat in a Blue Swimmer, like all things, once you work out how they are “made” getting the meat out is simple, there is nothing better than a hot crab, just out of the cooker, and the big lump of meat on the swimmer leg is fantastic, as is the nipper bit that joins on to the body, don’t know why, but those two pieces of crab are about as good as it gets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Lots of meat in a Blue Swimmer, like all things, once you work out how they are “made” getting the meat out is simple, there is nothing better than a hot crab, just out of the cooker, and the big lump of meat on the swimmer leg is fantastic, as is the nipper bit that joins on to the body, don’t know why, but those two pieces of crab are about as good as it gets.

I prefer mine to be a bit cool, however, they are very nice. Just behind prawns.

3 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Still a 3 course meal Dave, crabs the star this time!

Happy with the catch. No swimmers for a while, so they will be nice.

36 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I prefer mine to be a bit cool, however, they are very nice. Just behind prawns.

Yep, I'm like them cool too, but…….when the boats washed and put away, and they are just cooked, nothing beats a couple still hot, in the shade with a cold drink or two! They are fantastic when hot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Good feed in that lot!

Looks like a few crabs moving about. They’ve been getting a few in botany too.

Thanks Chris, no complaints here.

First time for a while that I have tried some shallower water near the bank, though 2 crabs took baits in the deep a fair way from the boat.

Edited by Yowie

Well done Yowie, thats a very solid bag of crabs plus a solid whiting. Went to grays point a few days ago on the New Moon when the low tide was 0.0m. Was able to walk basically across the channel and saw dozens of crabs amongst the weeds. Good signs.

29 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done Yowie, thats a very solid bag of crabs plus a solid whiting. Went to grays point a few days ago on the New Moon when the low tide was 0.0m. Was able to walk basically across the channel and saw dozens of crabs amongst the weeds. Good signs.

You need to head there for a crabbing session.

• Thanks 1

there is a good size whiting in there, well done.

Your shadow reminds me of those old oral-B dentists ads, the dentist is there, just can't see his face! in this instance, you know there's a fisho there!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kantong said:

there is a good size whiting in there, well done.

Your shadow reminds me of those old oral-B dentists ads, the dentist is there, just can't see his face! in this instance, you know there's a fisho there!

Thank you. Happy with any whiting at or past the 40cm mark.

Just the way is was with the photo. I had the crabs arranged nicely, then one woke up and upset the others, so it was a quick photo or re-arrange them. 😂

• Haha 1