Middle Harbour Kingfish on Light Gear

So one of the things on my fishing bucket list is catching a legal kingfish from my own boat in the Harbour or Middle Harbour. I have been out on a few charters in the Harbour to try to learn the what where and how and have tried to put it into practice - but so far without success.

I was out this morning on the harbour trying hard , but again without success.  Decided to drift for some flathead on the way back through Middle Harbour as I like them crumbed up in fish tacos.  Imagine my surprise when one of my rods (a Shimano Bream Raider 1-4kg rod with a Stradic 2500 reel and 8lb braid and 10lb fluro leader and trace) started bouncing and then the reel began screaming.   Lifted the rod and things went wild.  This thing went off like a sports car.  I remembered all I have been taught and learnt  over the years - let it run and just applied pressure to slow it and then pump and wind and repeat as it made run after run on my light gear. I wondered if I had hooked a small shark as the fight wasn much stronger than a decent sized salmon.

It took between 5 and 10 minutes of playing to get it close enough to see the unmistakable silver torpedo shape of a kingfish. Truly the last fish I expected to catch drifting a pilchard tail on a 2/0 hook along the bottom.  Then I had to net it with one hand while still holding the rod with the other. 

Unfortunately it was still far from legal - only 54cm - so after a quick photo it was back into the water to grow bigger. But it is still my first Kingfish from my boat, so it will always be special.

image.thumb.png.7ee214c299e8d8daf58809e3805caca5.png

Edited by Little_Flatty
Fixed photo
  • Like 23

Well done Robbo. It's easy to do the wrong thing with these powerful fish and come unstuck. I know from experience. Well done for dealing with it in text book fashion and reaping the reward. Probably won't be long before you get a legal one. 

Cheers, bn

Congrats mate! Great work to tackle it on such a light gear. My friend lost a good one in Chiswick last weekend and literally had his little 2500 reel smoked. Hopefully I can get some time and chase palegics in the harbour - it seems they really swimed up

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Well done Robbo. It's easy to do the wrong thing with these powerful fish and come unstuck. I know from experience. Well done for dealing with it in text book fashion and reaping the reward. Probably won't be long before you get a legal one. 

Cheers, bn

Thanks BN I will certainly remember it for a long time and can't wait to hit up a legal one.

1 hour ago, lhan said:

Congrats mate! Great work to tackle it on such a light gear. My friend lost a good one in Chiswick last weekend and literally had his little 2500 reel smoked. Hopefully I can get some time and chase palegics in the harbour - it seems they really swimed up

Thanks Ihan.  It was my oldest reel (I bought it second hand) but it worked beautifully.

Well done @Robbo from Sydney, Kingies certainly punch above their weight and not having landed one, you probably though you had a monster - even the little rats give a good account of themselves. Very often you have to fish light to get them to bite and if you take your time and no structure / moorings nearby, you’ve got a chance of getting it to the boat. The harder you go, the harder they go - take it easy as you’ve discovered and you’ll score. 👏👏

• Like 1

23 hours ago, big Neil said:

Cheers, bn

Been chasing my first kingy for a bit now at the harbour, mind going into what not to do if I get one on the line?

17 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well done @Robbo from Sydney, Kingies certainly punch above their weight and not having landed one, you probably though you had a monster - even the little rats give a good account of themselves. Very often you have to fish light to get them to bite and if you take your time and no structure / moorings nearby, you’ve got a chance of getting it to the boat. The harder you go, the harder they go - take it easy as you’ve discovered and you’ll score. 👏👏

Thanks Pickles. I have caught them before using heavy gear on charters and know how hard they can fight even on that stuff let alone light gear

10 hours ago, akroot said:

Been chasing my first kingy for a bit now at the harbour, mind going into what not to do if I get one on the line?

Obviously your tackle needs to be in good shape cos these fish are strong and smart. If there's structure around they will try to use it to their advantage. They seem to react to what you do, so moderate control for a longer period is usually best. They possess stamina and often take a while to tire out.

In summary, I would say "take your time". Don't be too discouraged if you hook and lose a few, everybody does. Make sure your line is sound and the reel drag is set where you want it. Good luck, bn

• Like 1

17 hours ago, akroot said:

The only advice I feel qual;ified to give is to say "Hang on and enjoy the ride and don't rush it"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kantong said:

well done mate on the bream raider! That's the biggest bream I've ever seen!

Jokes aside, a king with 1-4kg setup is impressive! congrats!

Thanks Kantong. Yes it was definitely a different experience to landing bream or flathead on that rod!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...