NSW Outlaws Blue Groper Fishing DPI LINK ADDED

The no spearing law has been in place for decades, a bag limit of two was for line caught, and commercial catch was banned decades ago too. The fool that started this was either a complete dunce or simply didn’t care. Groper are at best fair eating, great for non fish lovers, big white flakes of tasteless fish

edit…..of course accidentally catching one is not against the law, as long as it is returned unharmed.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dunc333 said:

so if it is just  catch and release with the blue groper thats fine with me.please tell me does anyone eat blue groper.?

They (and most wrasses) are a highly prized table fish amongst the Chinese community, and probably other Asian communities out there. Have a look at the seafood tank next time you have a Chinese meal, and likely there'll be a few wrasse in there, fetching a decent price per kilo.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

They (and most wrasses) are a highly prized table fish amongst the Chinese community, and probably other Asian communities out there. Have a look at the seafood tank next time you have a Chinese meal, and likely there'll be a few wrasse in there, fetching a decent price per kilo.

Correct Mike, but from the few wrasse I have eaten, only an average eating fish to me (including groper)

The Chinese community favour red skinned fish (red rock cod, pigfish, red mullet or goatfish, and others). Have noticed this at Chinese restaurants, even the occasional red coloured coral trout in the tank.

As a side issue, Australia Post has recently released a number of First Day Covers and Stamps with Dragons and Dragon coins, mostly in the red colours.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, HenryNSW said:

Hi, is it only blue groper or all color gropers ?

All colours from that family - brown or red/brown for the females and juveniles.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HenryNSW said:

Hi, is it only blue groper or all color gropers ?

Not too sure it was thought through enough to include/exclude brown/red Groper, as mentioned, it was a stupid knee jerk action to a single incident, politics and emotion win over science in this case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yowie said:

All colours from that family - brown or red/brown for the females and juveniles.

Is that included in the fisheries response? If it is I must have missed it.

1 minute ago, noelm said:

Not too sure it was thought through enough to include/exclude brown/red Groper, as mentioned, it was a stupid knee jerk action to a single incident, politics and emotion win over science in this case.

That has not been properly clarified so far. the dumb arses only know about the blue males, and are pushing that point. 

5 hours ago, dunc333 said:

so if it is just  catch and release with the blue groper thats fine with me.please tell me does anyone eat blue groper.? .or can you be fined for catching one which wouldn't make sense cause you cant tell the groper the baits not for you cause your the state emblem .so its just catch and release for fishos right???? and no shoot or take for the spearos right???.which was always the rule but some idiot didnt know or he just didnt care ? cheers dunc333

In law, its the meaning of individual words that matter (in context with every other word). The illegal part is 'taking', not 'catching', but the use of a 'Blue' in the rules and regulations is potentially confusing IMO. Wait for Saltwater size and bag limits to change before deciding what's OK and what's not in the new rule. Don't stop on the first page. You need to follow the Groper link for a fuller explanation (specifically, for the 'old' limits, rules relate to Achoerodus viridis  ...  colour is very variable with adults: males a vivid blue, females reddish brown and the juveniles a greyish brown, brownish orange or green. In other words, it doesn't matter what colour the Achoerodus viridis is). 

I prefer to use my own taste buds rather than rely on someone else's opinion about edibility of fish. I have eaten Groper. Female. Probably twice in my life (and that's a long time).  Personal opinion is "OK but there are many other species I prefer".  Males I leave alone.

Just to make it crystal clear, you need to read the new rule/regulation and not make up your mind from anything I wrote above. That is example, from what is proposed to be replaced. 

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 2

My “opinion” on all this, in a few months time it will be “who cares” Groper are at best a by catch, very few will be directly affected by the ban, strangely enough, I fish for them now and then, my wife likes them, because they don’t taste like fish….go figure. I also don’t hold much faith in anything written in a fishing magazine, they are always biased and present only one side of anything. I am pretty sure there will be a total ban on all “colours” but as yet, that’s not clear or published (that I can find) simply banning Blue Groper only really shows complete ignorance on their behalf.

Anyone want to have a guess how long it will be before they deem them a “threatened species “ and turn every headland in NSW into a protected habitat zone - no fishing , no diving , no nuthin !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dunc333 said:

so if it is just  catch and release with the blue groper thats fine with me.please tell me does anyone eat blue groper.? .or can you be fined for catching one which wouldn't make sense cause you cant tell the groper the baits not for you cause your the state emblem .so its just catch and release for fishos right???? and no shoot or take for the spearos right???.which was always the rule but some idiot didnt know or he just didnt care ? cheers dunc333

You can't target them, they will almost certainly be an incidental bycatch for rick fishos whilst fishing for drummer

As with any protected species if caught must he immediately returned to the water

They will never be a threatened species.

The blue gropers have an unfair head start. They are hermaphrodites. The females generally change into males at around 50 centimetres in length, but the timing of this change can be influenced by environmental and social factors.

An interesting read 🤭

https://thebeast.com.au/other/transgender-fish-the-pride-of-a-state/ 

19 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

They will never be a threatened species.

The blue gropers have an unfair head start. They are hermaphrodites. The females generally change into males at around 50 centimetres in length, but the timing of this change can be influenced by environmental and social factors.

An interesting read 🤭

https://thebeast.com.au/other/transgender-fish-the-pride-of-a-state/ 

Not too sure about the bit where is says they were a commercial species, and in populated areas they are far from curious/friendly, if diving in remote areas at times they can be attracted by breaking up Sea Urchins, and will follow you once they “sense” there is little danger. The advertising “blurb” that aligns with this ban try to make it sound like big Groper turn up to be patted as soon as you jump in the water…..they are a long way from endangered, I could show you places with dozens of them if you know the right time to go diving. But all that said, the law is in place and we just have to live with it, I can’t see it ever being lifted after the one year “trial” not too sure what “they” expect to happen in a year.

The one year thing was a case of shoot first , ask questions later ! The DPI and the minister knew all too well that the scientific evidence would have squashed the idea of a fishing ban so they conveniently ignored it . We ( rec anglers) have to tread very carefully here because this ban has set a dangerous precedent- if the government can just roll in and ban something without any research, public consultation or any evidence that it was needed then this will not be the last ban they impose upon rec fishing ! Every time a minority party jumps up and down having a hissy fit or uses what is essentially extortion tactics in parliament to get what they want the government of the time will simply give them what they want to shut them up .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For those who don"t subscribe, NEWSCAST includes details of the Groper ban.  In case that link fails:

Have your say on the 'no take' trial for Eastern Blue Groper 

From 1 March 2024, fishing for Eastern Blue Groper (also known as blue, brown or red groper) by any method, including line fishing, is prohibited as part of a 12-month trial, to increase protection of this iconic species.   

We would like to hear your feedback on making Eastern Blue Groper a ‘no take’ species in NSW, so please head to our website and complete the consultation form - https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/new-blue-groper-fishing-rule-changes

While most fishers complied with the existing fishing rules for Eastern Blue Groper, prohibiting line fishing for a 12-month trial period means the same rules apply for all fishers. 

Anyone caught contravening the closure and taking Eastern Blue Groper  in NSW by any method will face a $500 penalty infringement notice and/or a maximum court-imposed fines of $22,000 or imprisonment for 6 months (or both) for a first offence and $44,000 or imprisonment for 12 months (or both) for a second or subsequent offence. 

The online feedback form is now open until 30 April 2024; however, NSW DPI Fisheries will continue consultation with stakeholders over the course of the 12 month trial.

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

For those who don"t subscribe, NEWSCAST includes details of the Groper ban.  In case that link fails:

@Steve0 I have added the NEWSCAST March 2024 into Fisheries News and Politics section this afternoon. 

The link provided is not correct. Use this one if you want to have a say.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/new-blue-groper-fishing-rule-changes/have-your-say-on-the-recent-eastern-blue-groper-rule-changes

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Steve0 I have added the NEWSCAST March 2024 into Fisheries News and Politics section this afternoon. 

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/new-blue-groper-fishing-rule-changes/have-your-say-on-the-recent-eastern-blue-groper-rule-changes

Thanks @mrsswordfisherman I didn't see that. My link was not intended to go to the survey, but to the NEWSCAST article, which contained background information (FWIW) as well as a link to the survey.

11 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thank you Donna.  I have had my say.

• Like 1

Looks like you can respond as to why you disagree to the ban but there is a 200 character limit.

Drafting and re-drafting my response as to why I disagree with this ban. My biggest concern is that it appears to be an emotive based response to illegal spearfishing incident(s) without a scientific study behind it.

I understood and for that matter agreed with bans for threatened species like the grey nurse shark but from the reports of others (not first hand experience) there are plenty of groper out there. Additionally, I've always liked the fair/sporting chance method of harvesting. Speargun on a lobster isn't fair but grabbing it by hand is. Groper on fishing line is a fair chance but spearfishing isn't. These rules made sense to me.

I've never been interested in chasing groper personally and probably never will but if we move forward on "the feel" or "the vibe of it" rather than the science for bag limits and marine management then that is a big concern. The thin edge of the wedge so to speak.

Also found this about a spearing incident back in 2002 on DPI website: https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/content/archive/news-releases/fishing-and-aquaculture/2012/groper-killer-caught#:~:text=The Blue Groper became the,to this method of fishing.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

We need to remember that this is no longer about the blue groper it is about the method in which the ban was enacted . Zero scientific research, Zero consultation with any relevant user groups and all based on the feelings and sentiments of one very misled Minister. If the research had been done and it indicated that an immediate ban was needed I feel most rec anglers would support it . I worry now that if the Government can just roll up and ban something without a legitimate reason what else will they ban ? Maybe two stroke outboards ? There’s one way of killing some old boats off ! 

• Like 1