NSW Outlaws Blue Groper Fishing DPI LINK ADDED

5 hours ago, DerekD said:

Looks like you can respond as to why you disagree to the ban but there is a 200 character limit.

Drafting and re-drafting my response as to why I disagree with this ban. The biggest concern is that it appears to be an emotive based response to illegal spearfishing incident(s) without a scientific study behind it.

I understood bans with threatened species like the grey nurse shark but from the reports of others (not first hand experience) there are plenty of groper out there. Additionally, I've always liked the fair chance method of harvesting. Speargun on a lobster isn't fair but grabbing it by hand is. Groper on fishing line is a fair chance but spearfishing isn't. These rules made sense to me.

I've never been interested in chasing groper personally but if we move forward on "the feel" rather than the science for bag limits and marine management then that is a big concern. The thin edge of the wedge so to speak.

Also found this about a spearing incident back in 2002 on DPI website: https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/content/archive/news-releases/fishing-and-aquaculture/2012/groper-killer-caught#:~:text=The Blue Groper became the,to this method of fishing.

Well said Derek-the really sad thing is that most fishos will not bother to respond "i dont fish for groper so it doesnt affect me"-the danger is that later down the track another species will meet the emotive criteria that is now in place and something else will be taken from us. 

2 hours ago, Ryder said:

Ultra vires ('beyond the powers') is a Latin phrase used in law to describe an act that requires legal authority but is done without it. Its opposite, an act done under proper authority, is intra vires ('within the powers').

• Like 1

So, should we reply to the survey questioning how the decision was made, saying that they did not release scientific data to explain the decision?

I do not target groper but am willing to add negative voice to the survey responding to emotional decisions made by Ministers when they should be giving facts that justify the change.

Edited by Steve0
typo

Keep it respectful and state the facts : no scientific evidence, decisions were made based on emotion and sentiment- not facts etc . There is nothing to be gained by abusive or vulgar comments as the person that reads the comments is an innocent party and your feedback will be deleted if it is judged to be inappropriate.

We all need to understand that it is no longer about a groper- it is how this ban was enacted that should have everyone ( including the general public ) worried because it sets a very dangerous precedent- if the government can roll in and ban whatever they like whenever they like based on emotion,sentiment or to appease a minority party we are all in trouble!

Edited by XD351
  • Like 4

Ok. Submitted. This is what I went with. Maximised the use of 200 characters:

My issue is that this ban appears to be an emotive response to illegal spearfishing incident(s). Bad precedent! Where is the supporting study/science validating this new law? PS: I don't chase groper.

• Like 1