NSW Outlaws Blue Groper Fishing DPI LINK ADDED

I saw that on the news, kind of an extreme knee jerk action (in my opinion) not that many people fish for Groper anyway, but it seems it all stems from that one incident a few months ago. There is lots of Groper around, and I can’t see the ban hurting too many people, but, it’s the law, so we need to abide by it.

• Thanks 1

slowly but surely the clowns who run the country continue to lock down fishing, weather its knee jerk reactions like this, marine & sanctuary parks (& also hunting, national parks and basic enjoyment of the outdoors) Keep us all wrapped up in bubble wrap, confined to the city's ideally in a apartment being as "green" as possible while Politian's & celebs fly around in private jets.

One small step at a time, how much longer will we allow these "laws" be passed. before you know it you'll not even be able to keep anything for a feed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The big push is for BLUE groper, however, many numbnuts do not know that the blue ones are males. The females and juveniles are different colours, more in the brown colouration, definitely not blue. This needs to be added to the info.

Regardless of this, a size slot limit of groper, and only one per fisho by line, would be better - and none by spearing at all to anyone. Will see what happens after the 12 month trial period. 

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Yowie said:

The big push is for BLUE groper, however, many numbnuts do not know that the blue ones are males. The females and juveniles are different colours, more in the brown colouration, definitely not blue. This needs to be added to the info.

Regardless of this, a size slot limit of groper, and only one per fisho by line, would be better - and none by spearing at all to anyone.

We already had a spearfishing ban and a bag limit of 2 per day for recreational fishing. 

• Like 1

Hi restyle,

Whilst I can understand your anger at this decision, I think your predictions are a little extreme.

I don't know what evidence was sourced to inform the decision to ban line fishing for groper. I suspect, but do not KNOW, (and the capitals are important because lots of people on social media make claims to fact that are no more than opinions) but feel it was, as you said, a knee jerk reaction to a stupid spear fisher's senseless killing of a popular fish amongst swimmers in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

A political decision to be sure and one to be tossed out hopefully when some science is introduced.

I don't think that your predictions of being unable to keep and kill fish for home consumption are likely to happen unless, it's proved that pollution from 2 plus centuries of European occupation and environmental degradation have rendered fish too poisonous to eat...and that is already a reality in many places!

KB

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Restyle said:

slowly but surely the clowns who run the country continue to lock down fishing, weather its knee jerk reactions like this, marine & sanctuary parks (& also hunting, national parks and basic enjoyment of the outdoors) Keep us all wrapped up in bubble wrap, confined to the city's ideally in a apartment being as "green" as possible while Politian's & celebs fly around in private jets.

One small step at a time, how much longer will we allow these "laws" be passed. before you know it you'll not even be able to keep anything for a feed.

Ironically apartments aren't actually very green. There are a lot of CO2 emissions from all the concrete used in construction as well as power for elevators and air conditioning. And we are getting them to house a ballooning population - that's unambiguously bad for the environment.   

55 minutes ago, slowjigger said:

We already had a spearfishing ban and a bag limit of 2 per day for recreational fishing. 

I know this, but I am suggesting only one groper (like Mulloway) and a slot limit (like duskies) to appease ALL people, not a total ban, and  education about the different colour phases of groper.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 3

Hi guys, not a regular around here but I just heard the news so I thought Id jump on. 

Very disappointed to say the least. As a long time spearo, I've witnessed an abundance of groper from the mid north coast up to the border. These little suckers are usually the first thing you'll see once you jump in the water. They are absolutely not "naturally docile", try shooting one up in QLD where its legal and you'll find they're as flighty as every other reef species. 

I don't know what "Labrador of the Sea" means but if the law discriminates based on a fishes appearance and not scientific data, I sense trouble.

Apart from NSW Agriculture Minister, Tara Moriarty  https://www.nsw.gov.au/nsw-government/ministers/minister-for-agriculture-regional-nsw-western-nsw can anyone suggest relevant parties we can get in contact with? Less than 6000 signatures on a petition to ban groper got this to where it is! 

Cheers 

9 hours ago, Yowie said:

I know this, but I am suggesting only one groper (like Mulloway) and a slot limit (like duskies) to appease ALL people, not a total ban, and  education about the different colour phases of groper.

Those pushing for the ban don't like us catching them at all. They are not interested in sustainable fishing. I heard a militant diver organising a petition for the fishing ban on 2GB. He admitted their no's are healthy but said we shouldn't fish for them as they are the labradors of the sea and our state emblem. 

10 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

https://fishingworld.com.au/news/nsw-outlaws-blue-groper-fishing/

If anyone finds a DPI link please link in this post

I searched high and low for an “official” start date or information, but can find nothing except bogus political “blurb” as I said earlier, right or wrong, the ban won’t affect many fishermen anyway, I reckon you would be lucky to find someone who targets them specifically. While I still think it was a knee jerk reaction to an isolated incident, we will just have to “suck it up” and abide by the law.

• Like 1

This post is locked pending further news. As of now, there hasn't been anything official released by any government organisation.

The mod team is seeking clarification from the DPI and we will communicate when we hear anything further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to NSW Outlaws Blue Groper Fishing DPI LINK ADDED
21 minutes ago, afa said:

On the NSW size and bag limits it still says your allowed to take two by line?

New link added, see first post from mrsswordfisherman (Community Manager)

Line fishing for groper now banned for a period of time, however, they will still be caught on line by the occasional fisho, though not by intention by most fishos. 

Groper do take baits in many rock areas that fishos fish, so expect an outcry when one is hooked and landed, hopefully to be returned to the water unharmed. The hysterical people not fishing will complain regardless.

I have caught the occasional one bottom bashing in deeper water using fish bait.

The education program needs to take form in a number of languages, for those fishos with a poor understanding of the Australian (English) language.

• Like 3

If what I watched on the budget estimates review where minister Moriarty was questioned on many occasions about various things relating to this ban is anything to go by DPI doesn’t know when it will take place nor do they know why it was enacted . Scary stuff for us fishos ! The feeling of contributing to rec fishing by paying my fishing fee is now well and truly gone for this fisho . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XD351 said:

The feeling of contributing to rec fishing by paying my fishing fee is now well and truly gone for this fisho . 

I'm in this boat too.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Burger said:

Minister Moriarty has had a knee jerk POLITICAL reaction to pressure from the Animal Justice League nutters.

No science, no research, no knowledge.

Also a by election coming up down there -pandering for votes ?

• Like 1

As i said before -tthe world has reached a stupid level when fish are given names-usual politicians response-punish the law abiding majority and let the actual crim(in this case the guy who speared the fish)off with a slap on the wrist. But again and again I will emphasise-the greens will NOT STOP until every interaction with wildlife is illegal-there is no science in this decision , just emotional nonsense

• Like 1

so if it is just  catch and release with the blue groper thats fine with me.please tell me does anyone eat blue groper.? .or can you be fined for catching one which wouldn't make sense cause you cant tell the groper the baits not for you cause your the state emblem .so its just catch and release for fishos right???? and no shoot or take for the spearos right???.which was always the rule but some idiot didnt know or he just didnt care ? cheers dunc333