Irrational fear?

Birdy

Unfortunately after attaining the Alvey reel and Ludo rod, the swell has been non-stop big around Bondi. It's starting to become a bit more calm now but at the worst timing... University starting back up again. This has made me not be able to actually fish the spots I want to fish and instead, think about all the spots I want to fish. With all this thinking I'm able to do, this brought me to a scary thought. 

@wazatherfisherman was able to name every single fishing rock around Bondi and diamond head and it's location, each name has a history which I'm worried about will be forgotten in my generation (born 1998). I don't personally know all the exact names of the spots but I do know that I'll be fishing them as I'll leave no luderick spot around that area untouched on my endeavours. The sad thing is I don't know the names of the places I'm going to explore, I have fished along what I now know is Jacobs ladder and beyond, and all the way back to yellow rock / Juliens. Anyways my fear is that the names of these places won't continue passed my generation as they aren't obvious locations, are the only reason why people know the names of these rocks like wazza because they were apart of the era in which those places were pioneered? Anyways I'm a big fan of keeping history, especially in places that created such awesome memories and are only able to be found by eager and adventurous people.

I wouldn't have any fear that the names would become forgotten or lost if there were heaps of rock fisherman in my area the same age as me and in big groups like I see in old videos but I don't see young fisherman often at all, if any, definitely not in big groups. (Which creates a community and keeps the names alive) 

Let me know if I'm crazy or not hahahaha 

Birdy.

Edited by Birdy
Addition
  • Like 3

Blackfishermen are a fairly traditional lot and other groups that I’m on that are more luderick specific show many of the guys from around your area are from families that have fished the locations you mention for generations, so hopefully the future is in good hands in that regard.

Only a couple of days ago I was thinking about the river I grew up on and how its funny that most of the popular luderick spots that were fished when I was a kid are not fished at all these days. They still hold fish and plenty of them, I just have no idea why they fell out of popularity.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Add Bare Island to you list. Depending on swell direction, it may give you some fishing when other places close down.

Fished Bare island lots, I surf it too! But yep good reminder that the swell there can be alot smaller, forgot about that being a spot to hit on big swell days, cheers👌

Edited by Birdy
Adding
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Blackfishermen are a fairly traditional lot and other groups that I’m on that are more luderick specific show many of the guys from around your area are from families that have fished the locations you mention for generations, so hopefully the future is in good hands in that regard.

Only a couple of days ago I was thinking about the river I grew up on and how its funny that most of the popular luderick spots that were fished when I was a kid are not fished at all these days. They still hold fish and plenty of them, I just have no idea why they fell out of popularity.

My guess is that the younger generation don't fill up their "bored" time with outdoor activities, it's filled with all these distractions on our phones, i.e. Instagram and tiktok. Sharp short infinite amounts of dopamine that has not long term satisfaction.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, XD351 said:

You could try the wall at foreshore boat ramp - might be worth a try when the swell is up ?

I'll definitely give that a look, you'll be first to know when the rod and reel gets used 💜

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I noticed a decline in the early 80s , maybe that generation succumbed to the lure of the lure ! When I was a jetty rat in Sydney harbour literally every wharf and rock wall had a lud fisho on it and the hole at the caravan park et Narrabeen lagoon was chockers ! Last time I fished there I was the only one there fishing for luderick 😭😭

• Like 4

I think the problem with location names being lost these days are more due to people not willing or wanting to do the homework. Most ledges can be found with a bit of google researching. There are many articles and forums (mainly this one) that actually show you the places and their names, even how to get there.

But just as a head start, there is a map somewhere in this forum with Sydney ledges. It was actually this forum that I learnt I could actually make my own google map many many many years back, and thats what got the ball rolling for me to put my own personal one together with all the ledges, "known" names, what its known for and other useful information that I typically look for (eg. terrain, comfortable swell...). This is probably especially good when you forget what some of the ledges are like, as youd wouldnt frequent them as often.

Edited by Rob81
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Rob81 would this be it? 

yeah that could be it. Link actually didnt work for me, but it could be due to me using work computer.

On 2/29/2024 at 1:16 PM, Birdy said:

My guess is that the younger generation don't fill up their "bored" time with outdoor activities, it's filled with all these distractions on our phones, i.e. Instagram and tiktok. Sharp short infinite amounts of dopamine that has not long term satisfaction.

Maybe so, but there are heaps of young kids and guys that fish for pelagics, (mainly kingies) in the harbour. Luderick fishing simply isn’t very popular anymore, most young guys aren’t necessarily chasing a feed now, most are in for the sport of it, and kingies and other pelagics (along with Jewies) are a far better sport fish then luderick. (Speaking from experience)

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:02 AM, Rob81 said:

I think the problem with location names being lost these days are more due to people not willing or wanting to do the homework. Most ledges can be found with a bit of google researching. There are many articles and forums (mainly this one) that actually show you the places and their names, even how to get there.

But just as a head start, there is a map somewhere in this forum with Sydney ledges. It was actually this forum that I learnt I could actually make my own google map many many many years back, and thats what got the ball rolling for me to put my own personal one together with all the ledges, "known" names, what its known for and other useful information that I typically look for (eg. terrain, comfortable swell...). This is probably especially good when you forget what some of the ledges are like, as youd wouldnt frequent them as often.

I think you are correct for the most part, the major ledges do seem fairly easy to locate with a little bit of googling. Its the rocks that aren't that well known, mentioned briefly in videos, that haven't transitioned to the forums or been talked about. Maybe I haven't dug deep enough yet hahaha

21 hours ago, nal said:

Maybe so, but there are heaps of young kids and guys that fish for pelagics, (mainly kingies) in the harbour. Luderick fishing simply isn’t very popular anymore, most young guys aren’t necessarily chasing a feed now, most are in for the sport of it, and kingies and other pelagics (along with Jewies) are a far better sport fish then luderick. (Speaking from experience)

It's quite subjective in regard to thrills, I find scaling down cliffs and fishing off ledges that have taken the lives of many eager explorers alot more adventurous than fighting kingies off wharfs + Ludericks on thin 6lb leaders can be a decent fight especially when you have to keep an eye out for waves. Each to their own I guess, I feel like it's just a lot harder to be introduced to Luderick fishing than it is pelagic fishing. Natural progression of fishing tends to sway towards pelagics. 

• Like 2