Iron Cove Breaming

Only had a couple of hours this morning to dedicate to fishing, so I headed to Iron Cove to try satiate my recent bream craze.

Arrived on first light, at the bottom of the tide. Clipped on the bent minnow, and after only a couple of casts I already had fish interested. I fished the usual beat from the creek to the rowers, getting at least 15 hits/boils with only one small fish to show for it. How bad is the eyesight of these fish??

20240302_0742252.thumb.jpg.8cc01a8fbd01a0b20e77dd9d27a55ac2.jpg

After seeing 2 bream approx 35cm follow the bent right to the shore, I decided it was time to give subsurface a crack. Clipped on a crankbait and I was immediately justified with a big run, before the hooks pulled. Landed another small fish, and dropped or missed 4 or 5 others.

20240302_0838452.thumb.jpg.334d3366c5b7c048cbfa87a2511318c5.jpg

Slightly frustrated at my poor ratio of hits to landed fish, I decided to pull a trick from the Cod book, and use the file of my Leatherman to put a fresh sharp edge on each hook of the trebles.

2 casts later I had an aggressive hit followed by a run so strong and straight, that I called it for a salmon. I locked the drag up and the fish turned, and started headshaking... aha, a bream after all. Netted a beautiful 32cm model and released after a quick snap on the mat.20240302_0930352.thumb.jpg.d51a078cac72b3aaea44d06e42af1726.jpg20240302_0930552.thumb.jpg.186f3ba14b59657f694c48bc3244868f.jpg

I landed 2 more bream around 20cm on the way back to the car for a total of 5 for the morning. The 4 on the crankbait came in a period of around 30 minutes, so it was great to end the session on a high.

• Like 14

It's a great session! I found that if I don't back off my drag for a bit, it's really easy to pull those trebles off even on my small 1k Sienna 

• Like 1

A nice effort on the lures. 

Consider that the smaller bream are not hooking up due to the size of the lure. They may be hitting it side on which does not afford an easy hookup.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lhan said:

It's a great session! I found that if I don't back off my drag for a bit, it's really easy to pull those trebles off even on my small 1k Sienna 

Thanks! Yes I run a 1000 also so usually have pretty light drag.

1 hour ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Yet another good bream session on top and mid water

Thanks! The bream sessions seem to be producing consistently at the moment.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

A nice effort on the lures. 

Consider that the smaller bream are not hooking up due to the size of the lure. They may be hitting it side on which does not afford an easy hookup.

Thanks! Good point, there is definitely a lot of juvenile bream around this area. I've found that even small bream can hit hard as well, fooling you for a bigger fish.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:24 PM, Jimmy 75 said:

Nice session on the lures. A bit more harder with bream but you still did good 

Thanks! Yes the bream have been cooperating recently 

16 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice Bream Regicycle!

sounds like great fun on the light gear! 

Cheers! Amazing how hard a 30cm bream will pull.