Topwater lesson with Derek: A Tale of Friendship and Fishing

Hi Raiders !,

The early morning sun was starting to rise over the tranquil waters of the local river system, casting an ethereal glow upon its surface. Brenden a fellow fishing friend and I had set out before dawn, our hearts set on catching bream, but our efforts thus far had been met with disappointment the past few weeks.

As we stood on the bank, casting our lures in the water, I noticed a fellow fisher, as I broke through the silence. "Having any luck today?" As many fellow fishermen do, we both turned to @DerekD, a seasoned angler with a friendly smile and a twinkle in his eye.

Introductions were made, and before we knew it, Derek had settled in beside us, his presence bringing a newfound sense of optimism to our endeavour. Over a few casts besides each other, he regaled us with tales of past fishing adventures and shared tips on how to improve our technique.

When Derek pulled out a semi-clear coloured topwater lure from his tackle box, our interest was piqued. "Ever tried topwater lure fishing?" he asked, his eyes alight with excitement. Brenden shook his head, intrigued by the prospect. I however have used topwater before but never really got into it and wasn't any good.

With patience and enthusiasm, Derek showed us how to work the lure, demonstrating the subtle movements needed to entice the elusive fish. "It's all about the presentation," he explained, his words laced with wisdom.

Under Derek's watchful eye, Brenden and I tied the lures onto our lines and cast them out into the water. With each flick of the wrist, we felt a surge of anticipation, knowing that we were one step closer to unlocking the secrets of topwater fishing.

For hours, we cast and retrieved our movements guided by Derek's expertise. With each passing moment, we grew more confident, more attuned to the rhythm of the water.
We felt a sense of camaraderie wash over us—for Derek's generosity, for his willingness to share his knowledge, and for the bond that had formed between us.

As the sun rose higher in the sky, casting a warm glow over the water, we knew that this day would be one we would never forget. And as we cast our lines once more, we did so with a newfound sense of confidence, knowing that we had Derek to thank for teaching us the art of topwater fishing and for showing us that sometimes, the greatest adventures begin with a simple hello.

I would like to also mention helpful videos that Derek has posted on his channel that helped me work out how exactly how each lure is meant to work.
    Example : 

• Like 7

You need a shorter Fishraider name or somebody needs to tell me how to do that @ thingo that everybody else uses.

You have a very eloquent style of report writing, that I enjoyed reading. "casting an ethereal glow upon its surface"... poetic.

Good luck with yours and Brenden's fishing mate. Please continue with the unique writing style that you use, it's excellent in creating a mental image of you guys enjoying your fishing.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

You need a shorter Fishraider name or somebody needs to tell me how to do that @ thingo that everybody else uses.

You have a very eloquent style of report writing, that I enjoyed reading. "casting an ethereal glow upon its surface"... poetic.

Good luck with yours and Brenden's fishing mate. Please continue with the unique writing style that you use, it's excellent in creating a mental image of you guys enjoying your fishing.

Cheers, bn

Glad you enjoyed the report @big Neil hopefully plenty more to come !

Maybe ill change my name shorter for forums for ease of use for other users !

The forums are the most welcoming community I've been in awhile and its great to share our love for fishing. 

• Like 3

Hi @FlickNAnthony,

It was a pleasure meeting the both of you on a day when the fish were biting (for me at least) but it was a slow day. I was impressed at how quickly the two of you picked up the theory of the topwater techniques I was showing you. Mastering them will take a while longer as the movement is a bit like patting your head and rubbing your stomach. Combining that staccato wind with the shaking of the rod tip will feel awkward the first few times then muscle memory will kick in and you'll be wondering why you ever had trouble with it in the first place.

I'm looking forward to more fishing sessions with you and Brendan in the future and I've a few more tricks up my sleeve which I think you will appreciate.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1