Topwater isn't over yet! Land based Sydney Harbour...New PB Bream and First EP

Niall

Had a few near donuts recently that made me think I might need to put away the sugapens for a few months.  Turns out I was wrong.

Got up mega early to be out for sunrise.  Walked past a drain on my way to the usual spot - saw a decent size fish hanging around that I thought was a big bream.  Cast over him with one of the fake sugapens I've been using and got smashed straight away.  Turned out to be my first ever Estuary Perch.

PERCH.thumb.JPG.047e6b9cf107edb7d6ae1d0bd48214e0.JPG

Kept walking and casting and was getting loads of hits and the occasional hookup from feisty bream.  You just need to cast accurately and keep the lure right near the structure - they're not venturing far from their hiding spots at the moment.

Managed 6 bream and the Perch in about 2 1/2 hrs.  Smashed a new PB bream as well - 46cm.  As you can see I was pretty stoked.

379838584_NEWPB.thumb.JPG.ce8032c64336f1e11721c920eb9c9e4e.JPG

Not bad for a morning's work.  I'll stop throwing surface when they stop biting.  

Stocked up on Cranka Crabs and Gulp crabbies yesterday so I'm all ready for winter bream fishing.  

It gets tough so I can't say I'm looking forward to it.  Still haven't quite cracked the winter bite.

Edited by Niall
  • Like 14

Nice EP and and that's a horse of a bream.

The surface bite is still happening down here on the south coast, but things are slowing as the prawns are starting to disappear.

Cranka crabs are a dead set killer around structure. Good luck with them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice EP and and that's a horse of a bream.

The surface bite is still happening down here on the south coast, but things are slowing as the prawns are starting to disappear.

Cranka crabs are a dead set killer around structure. Good luck with them.

Yeah it went real quiet for a couple of weeks up here for me.  Went from 5-6+ per session to maybe 1 pretty quick.

I know the Crankas are killer but they're just not as much fun as the surface bite.  They snag like a bastard as well 😂

It's gonna be a long wait till proper surface-season again.  Last year was excruciating!

• Like 2

As everyone has already said that's a trophy bream, especially on a lure!

I was thinking of doing a quick EP/Bass outing before the closed season starts on Saturday - will have to pull the finger out now.

Also interesting to see great fish being caught within the built up areas, just shows they're still around us if you look and put in the hours.

Well done

Fil

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:42 AM, LuckyFil said:

As everyone has already said that's a trophy bream, especially on a lure!

I was thinking of doing a quick EP/Bass outing before the closed season starts on Saturday - will have to pull the finger out now.

Also interesting to see great fish being caught within the built up areas, just shows they're still around us if you look and put in the hours.

Well done

Fil

Definitely plenty of good fish to be found around the bays in the city.  Time spent covering ground is the key imo.

You've gotta be willing to walk some miles and cast into some stupid places. 😂

• Like 2

I bet that bream fought like a demon! Did the EP put up a good fight too? Would you mind describing your rod, reel and line set-up please Niall? Thanks

Is that in front of Barangaroo ??   Sure looks like it ....I worked on that project for +5 years and worked in one of the towers for 2.5 years.  Would walk that foreshore most lunchtimes and NEVER saw anyone fish there 

On 5/11/2021 at 5:09 PM, OttoVu said:

Is that in front of Barangaroo ??   Sure looks like it ....I worked on that project for +5 years and worked in one of the towers for 2.5 years.  Would walk that foreshore most lunchtimes and NEVER saw anyone fish there 

Nah mate.  Miles away from there 😉

On 5/8/2021 at 3:35 AM, ScampBowman said:

I bet that bream fought like a demon! Did the EP put up a good fight too? Would you mind describing your rod, reel and line set-up please Niall? Thanks

Actually not much of a fight.  It was more me freaking out about how to land him while he flopped about on the surface.  The EP fought a bit better tbh.

I'm using -

Daiwa TD Hyper 1-2kg

Daiwa Legalis Lt 2500

4lb Sufix Nano braid

5lb FC Rock Leader

Fake Sugapen lure from Ali Baba