Gummy Shark NSW

Hey Everyone!

I've been trying to find a concrete answer on this but do people fish for gummy shark in NSW if so any general areas I should be looking into (beach fishing). Been reading that it's very popular in Victoria.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I have not caught any off Sydney - Wollongong beaches .. but have caught them in 30-60m offshore fishing for flatties. So they are around but not something I have personally caught off a beach. 
cheers Zoran 

You tend to get then in about 25-30m of water towards the middle to end of summer, don’t know anyone who targets them here, they are just something of a bycatch.

• Like 1

I’ve caught all my gummy sharks off bundeena wharf and jibbion beach. Biggest was 130cm in 2016 of the ferry wharf but I’ve pulled up quite a few around 70-90cm off jibbon beach on both land and boat. 

22 minutes ago, Restyle said:

I’ve caught all my gummy sharks off bundeena wharf and jibbion beach. Biggest was 130cm in 2016 of the ferry wharf but I’ve pulled up quite a few around 70-90cm off jibbon beach on both land and boat. 

You mean real Gummy’s, the ones with the white spots, not just small Sharks?

2 hours ago, noelm said:

You mean real Gummy’s, the ones with the white spots, not just small Sharks?

yeah, the identifying feature for them for me is the tail

12 minutes ago, BaitDropper said:

Yep, if you bleed them straight away....

hear its also good to remove the head and tail to limit ammonia. heard this from a few shark fishos in SA not sure if its true or not

Yes, gummies are like any other shark, the urea is in the blood.

There's different ideas on how to bleed them, some take the head off and the tail and gut them, the measure in Vic was from the gill to the start of the tail so no issues if you get pulled up.  some put ugly cuts in the top of the head,, I basically used to cut the throat and cut the tail, occasionally gut and clean out, but I found doing it my way, hold upside down for 3-4 minutes to bleed out, then put it in a ice slurry worked. There the most popular fish/flake you get at fish and chip shops in Melbourne,  but yep, if you don't bleed them, the meat tastes rank, just like other sharks...  

Apparently they are pretty common off the far south coast beaches at certain times of the year. Say Batemans Bay and beyond. I've spoken to a couple of guys at Merimbula (Victorians) who target them in the area and do well off the beaches, or so they claim. When I've been down there in the autumn I've seen plenty being cleaned that we caught off shore, so they are there.