Outside Port Hacking

Gday Raiders!

with @Yowie mentioning the trag were about, decided to get out there and bag a few for a feed. 

Hit up the deep water bait grounds, but not many yakkas today. 
Moved to another spot and found the bait.

Rode over to the spot I wanted to fish, and after a couple of passes I could see a school of trag on the sounder - I drift over with a livie & up comes a 55cm Trag.

A couple of longer drifts over a school of yakkas and I hook up to 2 very large bonito, both around 65-70cm. Released.

A few more passes and a healthy 65cm king hits the deck. Released.

I line up again over where the trag school was and hook up to a 50cm fish.

a few more passes with livies and the bite stops.

I move to the flatty drift. 3 good sized fish in an hour. Then the drift speeds up, so I head back in. 

I had dropped some pots in the permissible area on the way out. Pulled out 3 male crabs & released 2 females

IMG_4497.thumb.jpeg.7675f0265ce07e7cdb57453396851b42.jpeg

IMG_4492.thumb.jpeg.b9763ae372bbe2407ca17810bb7b9c37.jpeg

IMG_4487.thumb.jpeg.15ac18588e8eb6781d66716b86141282.jpeg

IMG_4484.thumb.jpeg.3ff6e86f82c654282c085b2f75d6db97.jpeg

• Like 16

Very nice Chris. A mixed bag of fish, and some good crabs to top it off.

Have not seen the trags like this before, and we were fishing a location that I have mentioned to you before.

Plenty of yakkas there the other night, only 2 slimies which we pulled up, but they provided all the bait we needed.

Did not mention that the night we were out, 2 large commercial fishing boats headed to the shallows near the shoreline, south of Shark Island, just after sundown, lit up the side of the boats with bright spotlights and did what they did. Too far away to see. Both headed out again on full darkness as we were heading home. The boats motored from the Botany Bay area.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Great fishing again Chris! Whatever you've targeted you always come up trumps

Thanks Wazza!

Love the chase mate! and always learning.
The schools of Trag for example have a very unique sonar signature. Really stands out once you know what it looks like. 

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice Chris. A mixed bag of fish, and some good crabs to top it off.

Have not seen the trags like this before, and we were fishing a location that I have mentioned to you before.

Plenty of yakkas there the other night, only 2 slimies which we pulled up, but they provided all the bait we needed.

Did not mention that the night we were out, 2 large commercial fishing boats headed to the shallows near the shoreline, south of Shark Island, just after sundown, lit up the side of the boats with bright spotlights and did what they did. Too far away to see. Both headed out again on full darkness as we were heading home. The boats motored from the Botany Bay area.

Thanks Dave!

At the moment they’re hanging on almost every reef around bate bay. 

The spot I caught these at had plenty of smaller ones too - I could see them on the sounder. Strip baits like you were using is a much better bait (what I usually catch most of mine on) - the livies do weed out the smaller ones though.

The boats - the smart drum lines are around that area. As soon as a shark is caught they are notified - sonar tag and take the shark offshore to release.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Chris, another great bag of fish. Trags around but also the crabs, have seen a lot lately.

Thanks Isaac!

The warm water has the crabs out and on the move. Plenty of trag in bate bay atm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crabstar said:

Great work mate! Crabs are always a bonus aren’t they!

Thanks Crabstar!

yeah love the crabs!

5 hours ago, XD351 said:

Nice haul of fish there Larkin! Great report also ! You’re certainly making that JetSki earn its keep !

Thanks XD! 
it’s definitely a fishing machine!
The only drawback to the ski is you sometimes get wet when the wind picks up - but can be nice on hot days. 

Was chasing table fish this week - the better eating stuff! 

• Like 1