Best fishing town in Australia

I was wondering where the best town in Australia is to fish. Say if you were a die hard fisherman and just wanted to live to fish, what town would you base yourself out of?

Assuming you fish open waters for pelagics and game fish, i.e. tuna, marlin, kingfish etc etc.

I guess first off, you need to define “best”…….as in best facilities, best species, best accessibility, best catch rate, best climate.

I live at Port stephens. We have some of the best big game fishing in the country with no shortage of quality marlin offshore. Then inside the port there's plenty of great fishing to be had. Newcastle harbour and lake Macquarie are also within driving distance for day trips. Stockton Beach is also offers some fantastic beach fishing opportunities. 

On 4/5/2024 at 8:38 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

Coffs harbour

100% , real mix of temperate and tropical fisheries , easy run to the shelf if marlin are your thing, rivers have good crabbing etc, drive up the hill for trout. Its a great spot.

Yeah!! What IS Best,

Best/biggest fish/most species/best weather year round/access - what is BEST?? cannot fish if you caanot launch/too much wind/hard to access or low number of species.

A great question which requires a very considered respone.

How about somewher in SE QLD where the southern & norhtern waters meet gives you the best of both wolds??

Otherwise best location is 1 helicopter trip from Home Base!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoods said:

Yeah!! What IS Best,

Best/biggest fish/most species/best weather year round/access - what is BEST?? cannot fish if you caanot launch/too much wind/hard to access or low number of species.

A great question which requires a very considered respone.

How about somewher in SE QLD where the southern & norhtern waters meet gives you the best of both wolds??

Otherwise best location is 1 helicopter trip from Home Base!!

Great point Hood.  I suppose it’s a personal point of view to, meat on table, catch and release, scenery, environment, limited human activity giving you that feeling that  “ I’m the only one for miles” 

Also on another note you mentioned SE QLD, lots of Mosquitoes and Sand flies and I mean LOTS in the warmer months but more chances of different fish.