Mercury 2 stroke motor

sam bros

Hey raiders,

I'm looking into buying a quintrx 5.7m boat that has a 2003 mercury 115hp 2 stroke Saltwater optimax with 517 hours on it

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the reliability of these motors given its age?

I've normally always had japanese motors like Honda or Suzuki

Any input would be appreciated 

Cheers

Edited by sam bros

If it all checks out OK it will be fine, it will drink fuel and be quite loud compared to a new 4 stroke, but overall it will/should be reliable. Remember it’s over 20 years old………operating in salt water.

Edited by noelm

I’m with Noel- if it passes a thorough mechanical check (compression, charging system, oil pump, fuel delivery etc) it should be ok. I ran with a 2st Saltwater EFI Merc for over 21yrs. What prompted me to eventually part with a fully functional motor - concern over availability of parts. If you have the model number ring a few suppliers and check on the availability of the annual service parts - impellers, seals, fuel pumps, poppet valves etc. You can also source from overseas but then you have downtime while you wait. 

If the regular parts check out ok, then consider sourcing a more critical item eg ECU, high pressure fuel pump and check availability of those. 
In my case I had one failure with the motor in 21yrs - and needed to replace the flywheel- my mechanic found one - the last one in country $$. There were no Merc ECUs - although one company in US sold their own branded ECUs tuned for racing for pretty $$$$. 
That was my call to action on a new motor - if there was another critical failure the motor was junk or parts -  worth much less then if I sold it while still working. 
So if you like the hull, consider the 115 as an interim motor even if it checks out - and factor in your ownership budget an engine replacement in near future.

cheers Zoran

5 hours ago, sam bros said:

Hey raiders,

I'm looking into buying a quintrx 5.7m boat that has a 2003 mercury 115hp 2 stroke Saltwater optimal with 517 hours on it

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the reliability of these motors given its age?

I've normally always had japanese motors like Honda or Suzuki

Any input would be appreciated 

Cheers

Hang on, you say it’s an “optimal” do you mean it’s an “Optimax”? If so, then it’s a whole different ball game, I personally wouldn’t buy a 20 year old Optimax.

Edited by noelm

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Hang on, you say it’s an “optimal” do you mean it’s an “Optimax”? If so, then it’s a whole different ball game, I personally wouldn’t buy a 20 year old Optimax.

Hahaha yep sorry typo

Meant optimax

If it was a 20 year old Yamaha, Suzuki etc would you buy it?

Is it cause it's a mercury?

Never been a fan of the Optimax, and at 20+ years old, it’s certainly not my cup of tea. Mercury make a great motor, but….(in my opinion) the Optimax is not one of them. Now before 50 people come on and say stuff about their Optimax being fabulous, it’s my opinion only (and I worked for a Mercury dealer) 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sam bros said:

Hahaha yep sorry typo

Meant optimax

Is it cause it's a mercury?

No experience with other makes and models, But i am still able to source brand new factory spares for my 89' yamaha 2stroke.

1 hour ago, sam bros said:

No

I have a 2004 Yamaha 70B 2 stroke with only 320 hours on it. Overheating alarm went off 10km off Jervis Bay and I had to call Marine Rescue for a tow. Mechanic told me that it's likely a build up of salt in the cylinder heads and it will be an ongoing problem.

I've decided to bin the motor and upgrade to a new 90hp 4 stroke with hydraulic steering. A lot of money but I intend to use it heaps as I am retiring soon. Shame about the old 70 but I dont trust it. 

Edited by Derny Driver
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, noelm said:

If it all checks out OK it will be fine, it will drink fuel and be quite loud compared to a new 4 stroke, but overall it will/should be reliable. Remember it’s over 20 years old………operating in salt water.

It's an Optimax - a DI 2 stroke. They are very frugal fuel wise. 

1 hour ago, Derny Driver said:

No

I have a 2004 Yamaha 70B 2 stroke with only 320 hours on it. Overheating alarm went off 10km off Jervis Bay and I had to call Marine Rescue for a tow. Mechanic told me that it's likely a build up of salt in the cylinder heads and it will be an ongoing problem.

I've decided to bin the motor and upgrade to a new 90hp 4 stroke with hydraulic steering. A lot of money but I intend to use it heaps as I am retiring soon. Shame about the old 70 but I dont trust it. 

It's a good idea to replace the head gasket after 10 years. I believe when this is done salt build up like that can be cleared out.  

• Like 1

I have friends that are still running very old Optimax engines, and of course, they swear by them.

I think any engine of that era, especially with multiple owners, is always a risk. Noel may confirm, but the very early Optimax', prior to 2002 ?? I recall were quite problematic. But in saying that, one can never ever be sure, even with major other brands. 2 strokes are simple beasts, then a little more complicated, comes the Optimax.

Someone else mentioned the key factor here, which would make my ultimate decision, Parts access..

We have all at times. bought a boat with a less than Ideal engine on the back, I guess it's a case of whether you want to take the chance, and also whether you can allow for a future engine upgrade, in regard to the purchase price. Of course the actual boat will have to be worth it as well.

It took me a few years, before being in a financial position and to justify pulling the trigger on a new four stroke, which was for two reasons, reliability and economy.

If you can factor in an engine upgrade in the purchase and your only fishing bays, it may be a risk to take, if you were planning fishing out wide, then I would definitely get the motor fully checked out first, it may well come thru that with a clean bill of health.

So due diligence needs to be done here before making your call, very important...

I thought I'd seen one advertised recently.

It doesn't look in to bad a nick to me, however the comment on the underside of the hull repair, also needs to be thoroughly investigated...

A few questions to the seller, how long he's had it etc and of course a full engine and hull due diligence...

They sure do hold there values, not my cup of tea, but non the less, they do seem to hold there values, even up to 20 years old..

Edited by BaitDropper

Optimax were are great motor and i believe still are. A lot of the ski boats and race boats like bullets pretty much only run Mercs and most would be the DFI 2 stroke Optimax. Ive had a 115hp and a 150hp Optimax over the years and they were a great motor with no issues at all! I think you may have rung my shop last week and asked about this motor...

if the motor checks out and you can get it at a price that takes in the age of the motor and your looking at a repower in the next few years then maybe worth the gamble just my opinion cheers dunc333