Newbie - Kingfish success at Sydney Heads

I haven’t been out for quite a few weeks due to the run of sloppy seas and crook weather (added to Reno’s on the house) but buddy Steve asked if I could help put his Grandson onto some Kingies. I never need an excuse to chase Seriola Llandi, so we headed out early to my favourite haunt Sydney Harbour, where it is a rare day to not catch kingfish (with the right bait, location and gear). Caleb bought his 4kg bream / flathead outfit with 4lb braid and leader with the aim to catch a Kingie on “light setup”. When I told him it might be suitable for the bait needed to catch the Kingies, he said “nah, I want to get a Kingie on light gear”. I told him I’d provide a “light setup” and handed him a Terez 20-40lb rod paired to a Saragossa 8000 with 65lb braid and 60lb fluro leader. Caleb did use his rod for the Yakkas, which we live baited for the Kings an hour later.

When he hooked up on his first Kingie (and it nearly pulled his arms off), he understood why his idea of light might suit bream and Flatties, but seriously undergunned for Kingies.

We had a great day on Kingies inside North Head (notice Sydney in the background) and bagged a few snapper, which came up in the berley stream also. Caleb is now keen to get a meter plus Kingie (aren’t we all)

IMG_2520.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

• Like 20

Well done Bob ... one trip and keen on a meter-y eh ?? ... fishing is so addictive! ... the sports equivalent of heroin. It's a slippery slope once you start 🤣🤪😂

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Well done Bob ... one trip and keen on a meter-y eh ?? ... fishing is so addictive! ... the sports equivalent of heroin. It's a slippery slope once you start 🤣🤪😂

Cheers Zoran

Amen to that Zoran

Great stuff Bob.  Seeing your photo reminds me I’ve got a random bucket hat in the back of the car that I think might be yours…..

• Like 1

Good on you Bob! Great to see another newbie hooked:) My son is the opposite and insists on using 50lb braid in Port Hacking, I got him onto his first king on one of my 20lb set ups. He's now gone shopping for a lighter allrounder set up:)

9 hours ago, Hugh said:

Great stuff Bob.  Seeing your photo reminds me I’ve got a random bucket hat in the back of the car that I think might be yours…..

Yep it’s mine Hugh, wondered where it got to