The curse of the king continues

Posted (edited)

So I have not been on a ocean rock for 4 weeks and heard reports in for Tailor and sambo. So I bought my light and heavy shore jigging set up to the rocks.

Since my original intention was to catch tailor and salmon. I started with the light rod and just chucked out my squid jig with extra weight first to see any squid around as it was still dark and then rotated to zx40 knock off 28g for snapper. Wanted to see how it swims.

Then I began the real tailor and salmon fishing. Used a palms dax 30g for a while with no results then a 40g cheap jig which got snagged. Since nothing was biting I switched to my heavy set up and used a knock off 40g maria pop queen at 1/2 the price. Initially nothing hit then something swiped at it but no more takers. Switch to a knockoff 60g slow blatt and got smashed by a 80cm king after a couple of casts. I played with it out side for a while and I got the fish all the way to my feet when I tighten drag but that was a bad decision as it destroyed the clip. I lost another king after call with @Derek. This time from it reefing me outside

Continued fishing hooked onto 5 bonnies but dropped 2. 

Looks like kings and bream are my archilles heel at the moment. Fun fact is I can catch tailor/salmon in harbour but not off rocks and everywhere I go the bonito turn up.

20240525_150508.jpg

Edited by faker
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

Great report mate, and some decent fish too. Interesting Bonnies are still around. Shame on the king loss, but they're like this all the time - any weak point in your gear would be taken advantage by them.

If I'm targeting pelagics I don't use normal snap which I've heard too many complaints on it. There are some specific ones for this purpose or just tie your jigs if you won't change too often. I don't wanna spend much on it so I just use a solid ring, and connect it to the split ring on jigs. Not easy to swap as snap but def easier than retie. And it's very strong!

Good luck, looking forward to your kingies report 

Edited by lhan
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, lhan said:

Great report mate, and some decent fish too. Interesting Bonnies are still around. Shame on the king loss, but they're like this all the time - any weak point in your gear would be taken advantage by them.

If I'm targeting pelagics I don't use normal snap which I've heard too many complaints on it. There are some specific ones for this purpose or just tie your jigs if you won't change too often. I don't wanna spend much on it so I just use a solid ring, and connect it to the split ring on jigs. Not easy to swap as snap but def easier than retie. And it's very strong!

Good luck, looking forward to your kingies report 

Yea gonna get solid rings. It's still amusing how a light perlagic session turned to a bonnie turkey shoot

Nice problem to have, getting pestered by the bonnies!

Worthwhile session. As for kings, enjoy the journey, not just the end result. A screaming drag is music to an angler's ears. That's what I tell myself anyway, when I hook (and note I didn't say 'land') one!🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice problem to have, getting pestered by the bonnies!

Worthwhile session. As for kings, enjoy the journey, not just the end result. A screaming drag is music to an angler's ears. That's what I tell myself anyway, when I hook (and note I didn't say 'land') one!🤣

It's more funny when everyone is chasing drummer/luderick and I am only one chasing perlagics. Everyone thinks you are the freak

Edited by faker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Larkin said:

Some nice Bonnie’s faker!

Pitty you didn’t land the King, but at least you got a glimpse!

Yea nice to sea the fish this time.

But it's getting close to winter so even for me it's gonna get harder. Might go full squid/drummer fishing 

Going to say it again-clips are a disaster with anything other than really light gear unless you are willing to pay top dollar for gamefishing snaps -which start at $20 each and go up from there-AND are too bulky for lure spinning anyway. If you want to change lures quickly use the system which was shown to me many years ago. Tie a solid brass ring to your leader, use split ring pliers to change your lure over , works a treat and having caught countless large fish off the rocks and boat using this system -and never had it fail once on tackle up to 80lb braid and 150 lb leaders , it will save you a lot of heartbreak.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2024 at 3:08 PM, faker said:

This is what  kingfish did to clip. Yeah it was cooked

20240525_150715.jpg

I've found that particular type tends to bend quite easily. I use the ones with a swivel at the top, rated for 120 lbs for kings. But when targeting jewfish I'll go to 400 lbs snap swivels, I've had 14/0 circle hooks bend straight before the swivel bent. I'll see if I can dig them up. 

Its a very good curse to have mate! Its been 4 months since my last king hook up!

I'm running some pretty heavy hooks and terminal ready for some big winter kings, but whether I that eventuates or not is a different story lol.

• Like 1

Top report @faker, pity you didn’t bag the Kingie - they certainly take no prisoners and will find any wealpoints in your gear. A nice bag of bonito though - look like solid fish.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Top report @faker, pity you didn’t bag the Kingie - they certainly take no prisoners and will find any wealpoints in your gear. A nice bag of bonito though - look like solid fish.

Yea I am ready for round 2, I am kinda of one persistent bastard when chasing kings. 

Edited by faker