Another productive early morning session

After the success of a previous early morning session, I  decided to do another one.

So was at the shore predawn using plastics. Didn’t have that much confidence in catching as I always thought plastics are a sight lure, I did use a lake paddle tail though.

Sure enough I was proved wrong. Hooked up to a nice 31cm bream. As I brought it in a realised I didn’t have a head torch, so had to drag it close to a street light to unhook and release.

Then hooked a small flattie, didn’t bother measuring.

The bite died off so changed location.

By now the sun was over the horizon but was being blocked by cloud cover.

IMG_7815.thumb.jpeg.70234bfce6955dfa7859e14165269841.jpegIMG_7816.thumb.jpeg.1a1fd09d25808431e9b4c257ef27cf62.jpegIMG_7817.thumb.jpeg.6a03346142d647b4ff0be6782300da03.jpeg Was already quite satisfied with the session so any more fish would be a  bonus.

Well hooked a 38cm bonus, that put up a great fight. Decided to call it quits then.

Coz I’m land based  one thing I have started doing is casting out at 90 degrees and then walking 10-15m along the shore, effectively lengthening my cast. Don’t know yet if it really helps.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Coz I’m land based  one thing I have started doing is casting out at 90 degrees and then walking 10-15m along the shore, effectively lengthening my cast. Don’t know yet if it really helps.

I sometimes do this when there’s a current to stay ahead of my lure for a better presentation.

Good bag of fish for the session, well done.

Fish sense the fibration from a lure via their lateral line maybe as much as through sight, especially in low light so yeah a paddle tail or vibe can work well in the nighttime.

By the way a 38cm bream is a good fish!

44 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I sometimes do this when there’s a current to stay ahead of my lure for a better presentation.

Good bag of fish for the session, well done.

Hi Mike,

I’m not too sure what you mean by this, could you please explain

Richard

30 minutes ago, LuckyFil said:

Fish sense the fibration from a lure via their lateral line maybe as much as through sight, especially in low light so yeah a paddle tail or vibe can work well in the nighttime.

By the way a 38cm bream is a good fish!

Hey Luckyfil,

thanks for the info

Richard 

9 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Hi Mike,

I’m not too sure what you mean by this, could you please explain

Richard

To get a good presentation of your lure often you cast upstream and work your lure back with the current. However if the current is very fast a belly will form in your line and the lure will drag behind the belly. If I have the space I will walk with the current to keep the line straight-ish and stay in touch with my lure.

3 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

To get a good presentation of your lure often you cast upstream and work your lure back with the current. However if the current is very fast a belly will form in your line and the lure will drag behind the belly. If I have the space I will walk with the current to keep the line straight-ish and stay in touch with my lure.

Thanks for that

Couple of nice bream.

I cross cast at times if shore based. Stand and cast at a few different angles, move along a little distance, more angled casts, move again, etc. This gives a greater spread of lure movement through the water 

• Like 2

I think that trying anything different while fishing is an advantage...either in a positive result or in providing information that we can use to try something else. Good result for you, that's for sure.

Cheers, bn