Rod recommendations

Have a look at any estuary Blackfish rod. Even the cheap Jarvis Walker ones are good enough for light work. You don't need to spend big dollars.

Frank

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Asian Squid said:

Looking for a long whippy rod to catch gars, squid, yakkas etc. on wharfs and occasionally off the rocks. Budget $200

Go for emeraldas x

Edited by faker

11 hours ago, The Asian Squid said:

probably a bit over my budget but thanks.

I found a rod on orange snake website it was the atomic arrowz egi 8 foot 3 rod and its 2.5lb to 4lb, do you think it will handle the bigger fish well?

emealdax is being sold at 199 at the moment. it can handle it but you have to wash them up. Not a issue for me since i don;t fish wharves any more

• Like 1

wharfs/rocks are two very distinct occassions requiring different lengths. If it's for wharves, I think less than 8ft is optimal while on rocks it's better to go for 9/10ft. Also dedicated squid rod is quite different from general rod so it's kinda hard to give the best answer here to be honest. But if you just want a rod catching baits, any 7ft-8ft general purpose rod would do you well

If you want one rod for them all, an egi rod (Squid rod) makes sense for it. Ive used mine to land salmon & tailor, even though I shouldnt. Just use it correctly. Its light enough to take on yakkas and strong enough for most bycatches.

2 hours ago, Rob81 said:

If you want one rod for them all, an egi rod (Squid rod) makes sense for it. Ive used mine to land salmon & tailor, even though I shouldnt. Just use it correctly. Its light enough to take on yakkas and strong enough for most bycatches.

yea i agree, i have seen 70 cm kings taken on 30 g jigs on them

• Like 1