Breakwall Blackfish Bliss

Pickles

I haven’t been fishing for Blackfish for over a year and had an invite from my buddy Gazz to join Marty for a master class on Luderick. It didn’t need much thought and pal Steve, was happy to drive. It was his first time on “the Lud’s” and I was happy to supply all the gear (got lots of blackfish “stuff”).

I tied up a bunch of flies (Tiewell “green ice”) and Marty sourced some cabbage. We got our bag limit in a few hours - releasing anything under 35cm (as well as a few that were dropped).

Enjoyed fresh blackfish fillets, cauliflower “steak” with garlic, lemon and olive oil marinade, snow peas and carrots, onions cabbage - all from garden. 

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

• Like 26

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

I haven’t been fishing for Blackfish for over a year and had an invite from my buddy Gazz to join Marty for a master class on Luderick. It didn’t need much thought and pal Steve, was happy to drive. It was his first time on “the Lud’s” and I was happy to supply all the gear (got lots of blackfish “stuff”).

I tied up a bunch of flies (Tiewell “green ice”) and Marty sourced some cabbage. We got our bag limit in a few hours - releasing anything under 35cm (as well as a few that were dropped).

Enjoyed fresh blackfish fillets, cauliflower “steak” with garlic, lemon and olive oil marinade, snow peas and carrots, onions cabbage - all from garden. 

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

A good feed there Bob. I grew up eating luderick and if handled welol they are a good (and underrated) eating fish. They also put up a good fight on light gear

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Bob. I myself have been tying up a storm, a variety of weighted and unweighted weed flies in everything from chartreuse to olive to brown. Easy to tie once you get the hang of them and therapeutic to have a tying session too.

Now to wait for earlier sun rises or daytime leave passes so that I can fish for them during my dawn sessions!

• Like 4

On 6/26/2024 at 12:54 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Bob. I myself have been tying up a storm, a variety of weighted and unweighted weed flies in everything from chartreuse to olive to brown. Easy to tie once you get the hang of them and therapeutic to have a tying session too.

Now to wait for earlier sun rises or daytime leave passes so that I can fish for them during my dawn sessions!

We gotta try a catch up with Derek for a fish for the Luderick Mike. Will try to keep you posted when I head to the big smoke next.   bn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

We gotta try a catch up with Derek for a fish for the Luderick Mike. Will try to keep you posted when I head to the big smoke next.   bn

Let’s do it! I was out this morning in a new spot. Had three downs but missed them all :( Had to leave after only one hour of sunlight. To add insult to injury I lost three flies and a leader to the oysters. Ah well back to the tying bench…

• Haha 1