Breakwall Blackfish Bliss

I haven’t been fishing for Blackfish for over a year and had an invite from my buddy Gazz to join Marty for a master class on Luderick. It didn’t need much thought and pal Steve, was happy to drive. It was his first time on “the Lud’s” and I was happy to supply all the gear (got lots of blackfish “stuff”).

I tied up a bunch of flies (Tiewell “green ice”) and Marty sourced some cabbage. We got our bag limit in a few hours - releasing anything under 35cm (as well as a few that were dropped).

Enjoyed fresh blackfish fillets, cauliflower “steak” with garlic, lemon and olive oil marinade, snow peas and carrots, onions cabbage - all from garden. 

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

• Like 27

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

I haven’t been fishing for Blackfish for over a year and had an invite from my buddy Gazz to join Marty for a master class on Luderick. It didn’t need much thought and pal Steve, was happy to drive. It was his first time on “the Lud’s” and I was happy to supply all the gear (got lots of blackfish “stuff”).

I tied up a bunch of flies (Tiewell “green ice”) and Marty sourced some cabbage. We got our bag limit in a few hours - releasing anything under 35cm (as well as a few that were dropped).

Enjoyed fresh blackfish fillets, cauliflower “steak” with garlic, lemon and olive oil marinade, snow peas and carrots, onions cabbage - all from garden. 

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

A good feed there Bob. I grew up eating luderick and if handled welol they are a good (and underrated) eating fish. They also put up a good fight on light gear

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Bob. I myself have been tying up a storm, a variety of weighted and unweighted weed flies in everything from chartreuse to olive to brown. Easy to tie once you get the hang of them and therapeutic to have a tying session too.

Now to wait for earlier sun rises or daytime leave passes so that I can fish for them during my dawn sessions!

• Like 4

On 6/26/2024 at 12:54 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Bob. I myself have been tying up a storm, a variety of weighted and unweighted weed flies in everything from chartreuse to olive to brown. Easy to tie once you get the hang of them and therapeutic to have a tying session too.

Now to wait for earlier sun rises or daytime leave passes so that I can fish for them during my dawn sessions!

We gotta try a catch up with Derek for a fish for the Luderick Mike. Will try to keep you posted when I head to the big smoke next.   bn

• Like 1

Very well done Bob and crew. Luderick fishing is (arguably) my favourite form of fishing...float first, fly second. Good to eat too IMO.

Great to see you getting out after your arduous "parenting duties" have been successfully handled.

Cheers, bn

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

We gotta try a catch up with Derek for a fish for the Luderick Mike. Will try to keep you posted when I head to the big smoke next.   bn

Let’s do it! I was out this morning in a new spot. Had three downs but missed them all :( Had to leave after only one hour of sunlight. To add insult to injury I lost three flies and a leader to the oysters. Ah well back to the tying bench…

• Haha 1