Where would be the best spot to catch trevally in middle harbour?

Hello. Today I realised that I haven’t caught a single trevally this winter. I’m hearing about how others are landing pretty big one at the moment. I’m not very good at fishing so could anyone please recommend spots for trevally around middle harbour and that bait, setup and tactics that I could use? Anything would help.

17 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Hello. Today I realised that I haven’t caught a single trevally this winter. I’m hearing about how others are landing pretty big one at the moment. I’m not very good at fishing so could anyone please recommend spots for trevally around middle harbour and that bait, setup and tactics that I could use? Anything would help.

Hey mate, I don't fish middle harbour so I've got no spots but just fish around structure where bait would be. Like other predatory fish the trevs will follow the bait etc yakkas, mullet, prawns, crabs etc. You can work a plastic harder for em, like a couple small twitches off the bottom instead of one or two slow twitches for bream. I like plastics around the  2.5inch mark but they also wouldn't reject a 3 inch or larger presentation.

• Like 1

I've had most of my trevally catches while the lure was moving fast, like when I'm reeling back in to recast.  Multiple times where I've been caught off guard cause of that actually

Edited by linewetter
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Ok!! So basically around jetties and wharfs with bait fish, right?

Yeah, you can give iso fishing a try, trevally are a popular target for iso fishos

1 hour ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Hi If your land based try the wharfs and jetties use a small running sinker to the hook and cast to weed beds. If you have a boat they are in the berly trail right now normally lower down I got about six as by catch today at a reef of manly all returned. 

Assuming you're landbased. I don't fish middle harbour much now but I did regularly visit the area last year. Trev like other pelagics do move around. If east side of the spit, try Figtree lane or little manly point. If west side of the spit, all the points/headland of northbridge produced for me.

I agree with @AlbertW, try iso style if you want some guarantee. Berley hard and trev will react very well when the condition is not too bad and the bait presents naturally 

• Like 1

As some have mentioned,  burley is tthe trick.  Plain old bread and plenty of it works but flavouring it with finely minced pillies, fish scraps or prawn heads is better.  Ron 

12 hours ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Also, what’s iso fishing? I’m kinda bad-ish at fishing so I don’t know all the different types or techniques. All the good fish I catch are by accident even tho I target a different species.

Iso fishing is basically fishing a naturally presented bait under a float in a burley trail, I've done it once before with an old timer from clifton gardens and we just set up a berley trail and dropped suspended baits in it for trevs. A quick google search should set you up

I've caught some at Balmoral few weeks ago even though wasn't targeting them. Small prawn or cube of pilchard under a float. Even got one on bread when fishing for yakkas. There are lots of pickers around though, so moving bait might be a better option if you want to target them.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Iso fishing is basically fishing a naturally presented bait under a float in a burley trail, I've done it once before with an old timer from clifton gardens and we just set up a berley trail and dropped suspended baits in it for trevs. A quick google search should set you up

Thanks! I’ve actually been doing that every time last year at balmoral for yakkas and 30+ trevally without realising that I was actually iso fishing 😂

Edited by TheFishyFisherman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sashkello said:

I've caught some at Balmoral few weeks ago even though wasn't targeting them. Small prawn or cube of pilchard under a float. Even got one on bread when fishing for yakkas. There are lots of pickers around though, so moving bait might be a better option if you want to target them.

How big? Would they eat a live yakka it it’s small enough? 

13 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

How big? Would they eat a live yakka it it’s small enough? 

Nah, all were on the edge of legal size. I assume bigger ones might have been around, just would require a more attractive bait for them. 

Posted (edited)

Oh ok. I’ll just use lighter tackle or no  sinker at all. Even yakkas put up a decent fight with split shots or weight less with a half loose drag. Apparently trevally use their weight to their advantage when fighting according to one of my books, but the legal ones are way more fun and good to eat too.

Not a great deal of locational help for you but plenty of discussion about how to catch them. All good information. I'm not giving you any helpful information, either. Just want to say that they pull well above their weight and you will enjoy catching them. Good luck mate, keep us all posted regarding your journey toward catching some.

bn

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a bit late here but I catch heaps of trevs at forty baskets pool which is kind of a similar pool to balmoral, the only problem though is the leatherjacket there, they chew you up. You'll notice the trevally are quite fast moving a school will come in, you might catch one or two then they are gone. Another good spot is sangrado but it can be hard to fish there at times. I pulled a 44cm one up last Saturday from here.

Posted (edited)

Thanks. Don’t mind the jackets, I’ll just use a long shank so they don’t cut me off with their teeth although I’ve heard that forty baskets is kinda bad to fish from someone else.