Changing it up once again

Been noticing that the size of bait being chased at Tarban Ck has increased of late, so I thought that an upsizing of lure and gear was warranted. Tied on a 120mm Sugapen and had one donut session, but did have a few big splashes at the lure with no hookups.

This morning I went down again and started casting again. A few casts in, I had a swirl and hooked up:

image.png.898ba247da7f0523cfb0738016e76094.png

Up comes a 34cm tailor. Not remarkable, but good to solve the mystery.

A few more casts, a few more swirls. Then I came up tight on a fish not much bigger than the lure:

image.png.ab0ba3388028f3b040d132030f7c3047.png

Another hookup on one of my final casts came tight on a slightly bigger fish, by the feel of it. But it bounced off before I could land it. I had crushed the barbs on the big trebles, so you win some, you lose some. I certainly wasn't complaining when releasing the fish.

I swear I had some bream hits on the big Sugapen too. I have heard they aren't shy about hitting big lures, despite what we might conventionally believe. Would be exciting if I got one.

Been better at keeping myself occupied this winter. Just as well because it's freezing now!

• Like 16

that's a solid tailor! Great catch @Little_Flatty

I went to the reserve near Tarban creek just to have a look last week and I saw some big model bream cruising quite close to the bank, not far away from the boats. Also had a look at the creek itself, looks extremely breamy but I prob will lose my lures to all those trees!

• Like 1

Certainly worked for you, one legal one  to be caught. It is rather cool in the morning, especially motoring against the wind.

Very well done Mike. Even braving the cold weather atm is a challenge...to use your initiative and catch some decent sized fish, even better. Lovely story complimented with quality pics.

Cheers, bn

23 hours ago, kantong said:

good work on getting out there. always nice to hook up.

Thanks kantong, sure is good to hook up.

23 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Great report & photos.

Thanks 

21 hours ago, lhan said:

that's a solid tailor! Great catch @Little_Flatty

I went to the reserve near Tarban creek just to have a look last week and I saw some big model bream cruising quite close to the bank, not far away from the boats. Also had a look at the creek itself, looks extremely breamy but I prob will lose my lures to all those trees!

Those bream are catchable in my experience with a bit of care and casting along the shoreline. Knowing you, you’re probably going to get one on a micro jig soon🤣

The upper reaches of the creek haven’t produced anything of note for me, as fishy as it looks. It’s more over the flats at high tide that produce for me on top water.

But these fish came from near the moored boats.

20 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A good experiment!

Thanks Bessell, worth trying things from time to time.

18 hours ago, Yowie said:

Certainly worked for you, one legal one  to be caught. It is rather cool in the morning, especially motoring against the wind.

Cheers Dave, yes it’s freezing this time of the year!

11 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice work Mike!

Definitely need the cold weather gear now. 

Cheers Chris, I just changed out my jacket to a warmer model for my morning jaunts.

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Very well done Mike. Even braving the cold weather atm is a challenge...to use your initiative and catch some decent sized fish, even better. Lovely story complimented with quality pics.

Cheers, bn

Cheers Neil. The cold is unpleasant but I dislike the darkness more than the cold…bring on spring!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Those big sugarpens sure cast a long way, nice work!

They sure do Rob, I was getting most of the way to the boat shed which was probably about 50m away!

If these bigger stickbaits continue working I might start making few of my own as I suspect the bigger sizes will be less cumbersome for my clumsy hands.