Winter Snapper in June

whiskey299

I have been slack recently and haven't been posting much so here is a combined report for the month of June. 

Given that the weather has been terrible and I haven't received any boat invites to fish offshore I fished in the harbour to get my fishing fix and to feed the family.

Session 1
Fishing in the harbour after Sydney got an absolute drenching.

Water colour was 💩
Water temperature was 🥶
Weather was 👌

Fishing was very slow and bait was almost non existent and impossible to find. Sat on top of a deep wreck and was lucky to stumble onto my biggest estuary Snapper measuring 43cm.
Spotted big eye were caught on a mixture of sabiki, slow jig and bait, I guess they will take anything if they’re hungry!
Tailor were caught on yakka strips. So glad I didn’t donut 🍩 today as I seriously thought it was going to be one of those days. Not as many boats for a long weekend but they were still annoying 😂. Couldn’t find any rats or soapies today.
Water temp 14.8 - 17C
image.thumb.jpeg.44a6e1974bbb3f307ecb324ed65406e2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.73fb5895386dd4928a8d055ef7d2f7cb.jpeg

Session 2
What great session fishing in Sydney Harbour.
Even though it was very cold and windy, I was lucky enough to score a 47cm midday Snapper on the 30g slowjig, a decent upgrade from the last session. From the initial run I was calling it a rat kingfish, but I’m so glad I was wrong. Even with this tea coloured water, fishing was still pretty good. A lot of bust ups and bird activity this morning and as usual by the time my kayak got there, they had moved on. Still haven’t caught any squid yet as I think the water clarity has put them off.

Found several schools of spotted bigeye camping out in the deeper spots taking bait and slowjigs.

Landed about 4 jewfish were undersized approx 50-60cm also taking bait and slowjigs.

I can’t seem to get away from sharks, this one is probably a dusky whaler, I could be wrong as I’m terrible at shark IDs. It already had an existing hook on one side of its jaw and I just added another to balance it out 😅. I just don’t have the proper tools to safely remove it, so it’s better to cut the leader and let the hook rust out.

Water temp 12.8 - 14.8C. About a 2C temp drop from last week.
image.thumb.jpeg.4f7a3b1803a4013679b5d9d54c6cd3d1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.085042fcefb6f11b746db97a4666bc94.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.471b511e39a83eb84b927eb1bbaf1641.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.00c3f0b66e339fc5844c134910850e44.jpeg

Session 3
Taking annual leave for a Monday fishing session during full moon, I must be crazy! Luckily it paid off and I got the target species.

Conditions today were mint 🍃
Water clarity 💩
Water temp 🥶 13.8-15.8C

The Tailor were something fierce today, smashing minnows, poppers, slow jigs, live bait, strip bait, basically taking anything! I lost some big tailor which were easily +50cm and they pulled drag like a kingfish and eventually cut my leader. Generally not welcomed by most fisherman but they’re great steamed in black bean and garlic sauce or fish cakes. Release as many as I kept.

While unhooking a tailor I threw my double paternoster rig back into the water and forgot to close the bail arm. While dispatching the tailor I could hear some rod noises but didn’t know where it was coming from. About 5 mins later I realised my line was on the bottom and bail arm still open. I closed the bail arm and started to retrieve the line only to find I had a fish on. Since the water clarity is barely visible I was shocked to see a good snapper and tailor hooked up. I still don’t know how the hooks were set on both fish but just grateful to catch a keeper snapper. Shame I missed the first run. Snapper measured 46cm. Kept 2 tailor for myself and gave rest of the fish to my dad and to share with Uncles.

Also caught heaps of spotted bigeye all released. Caught about 4 soapies on a mix of slowjigs and bait.
image.thumb.jpeg.2fc673d211b3d1ea9284083ea1f90295.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.37964131fe7dac73eff18f772c7c362f.jpeg

Session 4
Not much to report today but I caught enough bait to spell out what’s trending at the moment. If you know you know!

Compared to session 1, bait was just everywhere and I couldn't seem to get away from them.
I even packed up my sabiki rig so I would stop catching them but then they just latched onto my size 1 hook meant for other fish. 

Also bagged a feed of snapper and spotted bigeye. No big tailor about just tiddlers and soapies.

image.thumb.jpeg.fc9820588c15ae68db83805c8aafd872.jpeg

• Like 17

On 7/2/2024 at 11:26 AM, james Cutler said:

Some top fish there. Nice snapper.

Well done.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:03 PM, kantong said:

cracker fish there, thanks for sharing the report!

19 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice bags of fish for the month. The reddies the pick at those sizes.

Thanks

On 7/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, ireallylovefishies22 said:

Nice haul, do those red bigeye make good eating?

I reckon spotted bigeye are fantastic eating.

21 hours ago, spraka said:

Amazing! If I may ask, what depth were you fishing in? @whiskey299

About 20-22m deep.

• Like 1