Spool top and bottom heavy

faker

Hi gents, need some help spool is laying line top and bottom of reel more at same time. I don't think adding or reducing washers fixes this

Not sure what to do to fix

20240713_153714.jpg

Edited by faker

You are correct. Adding or removing washers fixes bunching at one end or the other, not at each end.

Have you tried running all line off (or until it looks right on the spool), then winding back on, ensuring pressure is even?

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

You are correct. Adding or removing washers fixes bunching at one end or the other, not at each end.

Have you tried running all line off (or until it looks right on the spool), then winding back on, ensuring pressure is even?

Thanks will give try tonight 

5 hours ago, faker said:

Hi gents, need some help spool is laying line top and bottom of reel more at same time. I don't think adding or reducing washers fixes this

Not sure what to do to fix

20240713_153714.jpg

I find this would be fixed you 1. tight the drag reasonably tight, like not fully tight but close to the max. 2. keep pressure while spooling by a. spool when attach the reel to a rod and pass line via at least one guide and b. use a mob covering your hand to gently press the line close to the rod. By these it should give it a good and constant pressure 

On 7/13/2024 at 9:01 PM, lhan said:

I find this would be fixed you 1. tight the drag reasonably tight, like not fully tight but close to the max. 2. keep pressure while spooling by a. spool when attach the reel to a rod and pass line via at least one guide and b. use a mob covering your hand to gently press the line close to the rod. By these it should give it a good and constant pressure 

Thanks line is fixed

• Like 1

I use an alvey and larger overhead to do various spooling and re-spooling jobs. 

new line onto alvey then adjust alvey drag pressure to wind line onto reel.

have the alvey on 1/2 a rod on the ground and put your feet on the rod to hold in place and only use half a rod to wind onto new reel or if 1 piece don't go through all the runners

turn line around on a reel by winding it off onto overhead reel first then onto alvey,  then as above, now the newer line is on top 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fried Rice said:

They sound like good techniques. I wet the corner of an old towel and use that to grip the line.

Pulling line through any cloth, wet or not, is not recommended, try this just for fun, get some (say) 10kg mono, get someone to hold it tight between their hands, get some cloth, a handkerchief (if anyone still has one) grip the line between the cloth with your fingers and run it back and forth quickly………the line will just part in an instant, wet the line/cloth and do it again….same result, but it takes a second longer.

Sorry should have specified that I now exclusively use braid. I wouldn't use this technique with mono.

My father always used to use a handkerchief, makes me gag just thinking about it.