Port Hacking

Headed up river from Lilli Pilli early this morning. No tailor bites at all, picked up the bream early on fish strips, then the little reddies started up. Big lines, bait line, reddies from about 6 cm to 20 cm, non stop bait stealing pests.

The flattie also grabbed a fish strip, a piece of sweep which was better than salted bonnie fillet. A couple of pillies jumping but nothing else.

After I had caught every little reddie in the area on the bait line, a few jackets turned up. 3 keepers, and released about 10 little ones, some only around 15cm. Better than nothing.

Headed home, then decided to try the mouth of South West Arm with a metal lure. Hooked a tailor mid 40's, almost to the boat then the hook pulled. A few more casts then a larger salmon, jumped and the hook pulled again, then quiet.

Another fisho up there pulled up a trevally, released it. He was using fly by casting, and also by trolling along the main channel, said he caught a few salmon that way.

Stopped by Maritime for an equipment check, he stated my catch was the best from the fishos he had spoken to earlier on up river, so looks a bit quiet out there.

fish.jpeg.451_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 18

11 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A great variety of fish.

Thank you,  cooking up a feed tonight.

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Can always count on you to beat the odds Dave, well done.

Thanks Mike, something to bring home.

56 minutes ago, Crabstar said:

Jackets are a great chew. I always a enjoy one.

Beats working

Small jackets, but good eating.

16 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Still got a good feed ! I’m stinging for a fishing trip- hopefully in the next few weeks I will get out !

It's a feed that counts. No outside fishing tomorrow with the forecast wind.

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

After I had caught every little reddie in the area

Hahaha 😂. Some days are like that. Nice feed in the end though. Bet it was breezy 🥶 out there in the morning. 
cheers Zoran 

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hahaha 😂. Some days are like that. Nice feed in the end though. Bet it was breezy 🥶 out there in the morning. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran. Managed to find a less breezey area to fish.

1 hour ago, kantong said:

a nice bag there, well done on getting out there in these chilly conditions.

Thank you. It is quite cold these early mornings motoring against the wind.

22 minutes ago, james Cutler said:

Good haul.

Better than nothing.

Well done.

Not complaining, will be a feed of fish tonight.

So cold at the moment - tuff going in an open tinny. 
You managed some good eating fish though! 👍 I’m also a fan of the jackets - eating them not having them chew my gear.

im hoping to get out this Thursday 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Larkin said:

So cold at the moment - tuff going in an open tinny. 
You managed some good eating fish though! 👍 I’m also a fan of the jackets - eating them not having them chew my gear.

im hoping to get out this Thursday 

Certainly cold before sun-up, travelling against the wind.

Not big jackets, however, an average size for the yellow finned variety caught up river. I fillet them  - not big fillets -  remove the bones and crumb and pan fry with the other fillets. My grandaughter kept asking for more fish, so she liked the jacket fillets.

I'm looking at Wednesday outside for a flattie drift. Wind might be up on Thursday.

Edited by Yowie

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Certainly cold before sun-up, travelling against the wind.

Not big jackets, however, an average size for the yellow finned variety caught up river. I fillet them  - not big fillets -  remove the bones and crumb and pan fry with the other fillets. My grandaughter kept asking for more fish, so she liked the jacket fillets.

I'm looking at Wednesday outside for a flattie drift. Wind might be up on Thursday.

Yep Wednesday definitely the better day - unfortunately stuck at work, so here’s hoping the wind will stay low 🤞

Edited by Larkin

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Yowie, very similar sized flathead and jackets I was pulling up the other day. Good feed nonetheless.

Happy with that feed. The small jackets were hard to hook.

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Still a decent feed there Dave, I've never targeted jackets, do you fillet them?

Thanks Rob, enough to feed 4 of us.

Quite often fillet the jackets. Only small fillets, however, bigger fillets from those caught outside. The fillets are easier to eat for those who do not like bones - wife, grandkids - just a bit fidley filleting them. Same applies to garfish fillets - fillet, remove rib bones, crumb and pan fry. The grandaughter asked for more jacket fillets, so she was enjoying them and no bones to worry about.

• Thanks 1