(Unexpected) Winter Luderick

Hi raiders,

Went out today with my mate continuing our flathead search in upper Parra. The tide is deadly low so it's been a quiet first hour. We then moved to Morrison Bay since we know well where the deeper section is. Another hour in my mate got a small flathead on double clutch - not a donut session luckily.

He then left while I kept casting for a bit more. The tide is reasonably high now and I finally caught a small bream on micro jig, not a surprise for me now...

As the sun set, I switched to a jig with a blade at the tail hoping to reflect more lights to attract fish. After maybe 20 casts, yet another jig-jig lead to a big weight, and that thing took off instantly. My mind is set for a Jew because it felt the same powerful run from my last 45cm soapie. However, it took a second, a third, and a fourth powerful run... My stradic was singing like never before. It's a bloody good fish or it's the big flatty I'm looking for? I have to ask a fellow fisho to help me net it since I'm on 6lb only (thanks a lot mate! if you happened to be on this site).

After quite some muscling, a huge luderick was landed. A quick measure give it 41.5cm. My first and my PB, I guess this will stay for a while since I don't particularly target them. Bloody hard fighting fish, it's also prob the chunkies 40ish fish I ever seen. Photo taken and it returned to the water safe and sound.

What a nice surprise on micro jigs yet again. Now with mullet and luderick on my book, gar is the next...

Tight lines,

Henry

20240721_163601.jpg

• Like 17

That's a thick one!  Great catch on the micro jigs yet again.  I'm surprised by the variety of fish that'll go after them.  Sounds like a really hard fighting fish by the sounds of the runs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, faker said:

What jig were u using can I see pictures? Nice catch btw

it's this jig but I think it's pure luck for me to get this one on jig - I didn't expect luderick were around in that bay honestly...

Screenshot_20240722_101408_AliExpress.thumb.jpg.948a72f7e804c89f7f57d011293a5abc.jpg

but this kind of small blade jigs work very well in the winter anyway. I've caught flathead/trev/luderick on this specific one

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Cracker fish @lhan. I think I did say in a previous post you'd get a luderick next on a jig! :D 

Now you understand why people target luds.

yeah I do remember and the next would be garfish! And yeah they fight so hard I was literally dreaming about sth in the 60cm mark

• Haha 1