Grassy Head Strikes Again

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Well done on first fishing report, keep them coming!"

DrRaymondSnapper was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 100 points.

I`ve never posted a report before as I`ve never considered my fishing exploits to be newsworthy. I have enjoyed fishing my entire life but was always the angler that didn`t catch anything remarkable. I`ve had a fair run of luck lately so I decided to take the plunge and report on my latest trip. I`ve also come to realise that fishing reports on forums like fishraider are a valuable source of information in trip planning and gear selection.                   

My last expedition was to one of my favourite fishing destinations - Grassy Head on the mid-north coast of NSW for 10 days. . I have had success on previous visits and in May this year scored 2 Jewfish 79 and 70 cm and multiple Tailor up to 68 cm. This trip was equally successful but involved different species. Fishing was mainly confined to casting off Stuart`s Point Beach with the trusty 9`3" Abu Garcia Veritas and 5000 Stradic FM with 20lb braid. I also threw metals off the beach with my 7 `Shimano T-curve and 5000 Stella FJ with no success. I mainly fished the north end of the beach as it provided the best structures but drove the Landmonster all the way down to the North Wall at S W Rocks breakwall in search of gutters and holes but found nothing better.. Bait was mostly home salted bonito as per the fishraider recipe on 2 ganged hooks or single 2/0 or 3/0 long shanked baitholders. Bonito prepared this way lasted long periods refrigerated and is a versatile bait that stays on the hook well when thrown hard off the beach. Fish love it and I`ve caught everything from Whiting to Mulloway with it. Tides were not very co-operative with no early morning or late afternoon highs so I just fished when I felt like it but always made sure to be on the beach at dawn and for a couple of hours after dark. Interestingly enough , I caught no fish during the daylight hours. Bites were slow sometimes but definitely improved after dark. No doubt this was due to the species being present.                                                                                                                                                                                                       

The most common fish was Yellow finned Bream by far. I caught multiple fish most nights from 30-40 cm but only kept 2 for a feed daily. There were definitely a lot of hungry bream in the surf. Tailor were very scarce for a change and I only got one but it was an awesome 61 cm specimen that put up a great fight. It was delicious in beer batter. The highlights were definitely the 2 Jewies that I caught. They were 85 and 65 cm in length. Not huge fish but very satisfying. Apparently there were many Jewies being caught in the area with some huge specimens taken. I kept the 85 cm fish for a feed and fillets were excellent grilled over the fire. The other fish went back to grow . Beach worms were very scarce and , I suspect , over-harvested. Pippies were plentiful but were hard to keep on hooks when thrown hard.                                                                                                     

All in all , a very pleasant trip. Weather was brilliant with fine sunny days and awesome sunrises over the water and a couple of blood-red moonrises over the sea after dark. Its always good to catch fish and to " live off the land " so to speak. And it kept the wife happy when I turned up with dinner.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Great report  there DRS it sounds like a very nice few days.

As for the beach worms, i was talking to someone here and they heard the big seas we had recently .... how recent i'm not sure. But they knocked the worms round.

I am very pleased that you posted your first report. I hope it is the first of many.

I liken posting on forums to be like this. We go to a venue to meet people who we barely know. If everybody sits there and wishes it was time to go home, everybody misses out on the greatest gift that we humans possess...the gift of high-order communication. The opportunity to learn something from others, maybe teach somebody something. Conversely, if the attendees choose to talk to each other, everybody leaves enriched by the experience.

Your post paints a vivid picture for the readers. We can share the experience, up to a point. It also provides useful information for others to take on board when they venture out fishing.

Isn't that what life is all about?

bn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like you had a great trip with some nice fish caught! 👍
Salted bonito and slimie mackerel are some of the best baits - stay on the hook probably better than any other bait and waft a nice natural scent as soon as they hit the water. My goto baits.

• Like 2