Nambucca social fishing event

XD351

G’day Raiders,

just a quick report of the fish I and my fellow boat fisho caught at the Nambucca social fishing comp hosted by Wayne Cole and TFSB.

We arrived Thursday arvo with the intention of a quick arvo fish but the weather was pretty ordinary so decided against it as we had a whole day of pre fish on Friday.  Friday was very windy with a strong SW wind blowing but as neither of us had fished this system before we had to get out in the water to scope the place out and I must say it is a lure chuckers paradise - acres of sand flats , drop offs and shallow weed beds . We were getting a few flathead but mostly around 30-35cm length but this did give us hope and some comfort in the knowledge that our tactics and lure choices were working .

Saturday was a 9am kickoff and was near perfect conditions- just a little breeze to keep the boat moving as we fished along the drop offs and around the oyster leases and we fished the area from Pelican caravan park upriver towards Macksville . I caught two at 50 and 51cm plus a few mid to high 40s , my boat partner was scoring mostly high 30s and low 40s but by the end of the day we had 4 scoring fish each and only needed one more each before we needed to upgrade - for me the fish had to be bigger than 40.5cm to upgrade from my smallest fish .

Sunday arrived with more wind but as we kicked off at 6am we got a couple of hours of reasonable conditions before it got really windy and we decided to hammer the area down river around the golf course , the first spot was at the end of a rock wall where there is a drop off and we got there right on high tide . First cast of my Gobblers frog in lime slammer colour got hammered and a 51cm flattie was submitted for scoring , my mate started to get a few high 40’s fish and they were submitted for scoring . It was hard going and trying to get out of the wind was nearly impossible but by the end of the session (2pm) we had a couple of scoring fish and returned to base. 
I had no idea of what anyone else had caught except one fisho had caught a 59.5cm flattie so I knew I didn’t get biggest fish , anyhow the started reading out the winners of each category ( boat , yak and shore based) and I ended up winning the boat category and my mate came in second ! I nearly fell over ! 
All in all a top weekend , great people to fish with , a fantastic event that was very well organised- massive thank you to Wayne and TFSB for running it and donating the prizes and I look forward to next years event wherever it may be !IMG_1141.thumb.jpeg.763fc265638c0f09f07dcd3749f26fb5.jpegIMG_1129.thumb.jpeg.358da655229339396eb2bbe16cd9a4b9.jpegIMG_1130.thumb.jpeg.832619567044219e72f3ed07f38ce928.jpegIMG_1138.thumb.jpeg.ac8ce00e47a5992c54fc27c869726ef9.jpegIMG_1139.thumb.jpeg.cee69f78b109e55a931002f14b180468.jpegIMG_1131.thumb.jpeg.78c7eef30eb6168059bf6a21d6006cdd.jpegIMG_1147.thumb.jpeg.52e9561857a843dcdb13ed467a6c59f7.jpegIMG_1148.thumb.jpeg.1c8a83153df37c4759961b83483b28e8.jpegIMG_1153.thumb.jpeg.6b32d2f5dda723bed706d6ba34710193.jpegIMG_1143.thumb.jpeg.6144c23a31bca37808964aade35ffb33.jpegIMG_1157.thumb.jpeg.2d3ff7d6aae2293bd4caa0caf4d0e31f.jpeg

• Like 16

14 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Congrats on the win!

Thanks LuckyFil !

16 hours ago, Burger said:

Well done! Sounds like you had a good time.

Thanks Burger !

I had a blast up there ! 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

Very well done on the 1st and 2nd placings guys. The Nambucca is a great system to fish, especially chucking plastics and lures around, hard into the edges. Always difficult to fish a system for the first time, discovering all its nuances, and maximizing your potential. You guys certainly had success cracking the code...excellent result. Cracking photos to accompany your report.

bn

Edited by big Neil
more info
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, kantong said:

congrats on the wins! Look at the colour on those flatties, some of them are really dark just like that river system.

Thanks kantong !

Yes a few were caught up river on the mud bottom.

Edited by XD351

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Well done Ian! Nice to see a raider winning. 

You could use our calendar to put that event, or any other comps on in the future. 

Would be great to follow and cheer on fishraiders.

Thanks for the report. 

Thanks Donna! 
I don’t think they do any sort of live updates for this , I didn’t know what was caught other than what I could pry out of the other guys there - it was really more a social fish with a bit of a competition thrown in just to make it a bit more fun . TFSB run this yearly and next years location is yet to be decided, as most of the fishos there come from the Bathurst region it is a long haul for them and I think they are looking at something a bit closer to Sydney. What would be even better is if a few more Fishraiders come along and gave it a crack ! 
There is the Burraga carp bash - end of October, Oberon redfin muster - end November coming up and all details are available on the TFSB Facebook page . These events are not the “ playing for sheep stations “ type of even , more like a bunch of fishos out there having fun and making new friends with the possibility of winning a prize and doing the environment a favour by extracting as many pest species from the dams as they can !

I’m off to Karumba for a week next year with the same group and I can’t wait !

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Looks like all that flatty fishing you’ve been doing paid off with a win! Congrats XD!

Thanks Larkin! I was a bit apprehensive as I was doing it tough in the fish catching department leading up to this !

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

Very well done on the 1st and 2nd placings guys. The Nambucca is a great system to fish, especially chucking plastics and lures around, hard into the edges. Always difficult to fish a system for the first time, discovering all its nuances, and maximizing your potential. You guys certainly had success cracking the code...excellent result. Cracking photos to accompany your report.

bn

Thanks BN! 
It is difficult when you have so many options! A big thank you to Wayne Cole and TFSB for the camp site photos !

8 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Great result Ian! What prize/s did you guys end up with?

Thanks Waza!
A Tomahawk rod , a nice camp chair , a pile of lures, a bivvy, some bottles of dizzy scent  and probably a few other prizes I can’t remember. The biggest fish got a nice custom rod built by JD rods - it is I nice piece of kit !

Edited by XD351
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Great Job Ian, those are some cracking Flatties  - perfect eating size.

congrats on the win boys 👏👏👏

Thanks pickles ! My mate lives out Oberon way so doesn’t get really fresh flathead very often so I sent him home with a few !

23 hours ago, XD351 said:

Thanks Donna! 
I don’t think they do any sort of live updates for this , I didn’t know what was caught other than what I could pry out of the other guys there - it was really more a social fish with a bit of a competition thrown in just to make it a bit more fun . TFSB run this yearly and next years location is yet to be decided, as most of the fishos there come from the Bathurst region it is a long haul for them and I think they are looking at something a bit closer to Sydney. What would be even better is if a few more Fishraiders come along and gave it a crack ! 
There is the Burraga carp bash - end of October, Oberon redfin muster - end November coming up and all details are available on the TFSB Facebook page . These events are not the “ playing for sheep stations “ type of even , more like a bunch of fishos out there having fun and making new friends with the possibility of winning a prize and doing the environment a favour by extracting as many pest species from the dams as they can !

I’m off to Karumba for a week next year with the same group and I can’t wait !

That's great. Most of our posters would be interested in social type events rather than the big money ones. 
You need to have you beaut fast boats with all the technology to even think about entering. 
We have been in a few social events and enjoyed them over the years - we used to throw a report in as the day/s went on. 

Here is a link to the What's On in Oberon page - not everyone has a facebook account 

https://www.visitoberon.com/events/ 

Here are the screenshots

IMG_6327.jpeg

IMG_6328.jpeg

IMG_6329.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Donna ! 
If any Fishraiders are interested in entering in one of the many comps ( some are social , some a bit more serious with bigger prizes) held out around the Bathurst - Dubbo region but don’t  have Facebook then Wayne Cole (aka Coley) is the best point of contact -he is pretty much across all things fishing out there.

IMG_1162.thumb.jpeg.7d9f7c322483b6fefc261814998db7ba.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If any Raiders are interested in fishing in social events like Oberon , burraga or any of the dozens of other fishing  events  held around central nsw  and they don’t have facebook they can always message me and I will find out what is going on  for them .