Best squid jig colour?

TheFishyFisherman

Was fishing Clontarf with hard bodies and only a few small whiting and toadfish were following the lure. After a couple of whiting caught, I moved on to bait and then finally I started fishing for squid. Only got cuttlefish but I still had a blast because it was fun when they would spout water to zoom around the water while hooked. Was wondering what squid jig colour is “best”. I know on bright sunny days, dark coloured jigs like black and purple are best while on cloudy or low light days or night, bright colours like pink and orange are better. This may be a stupid question, but is there an all rounded colour that would work in both light and dark conditions? I’ve had the most success on pink and orange so far (prefer pink though). If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. It would be nice to bring in more squid for bait when the lures aren’t working and for food. Also, does the same apply to cuttlefish? Thanks for reading.

Edited by TheFishyFisherman

1 hour ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Was fishing Clontarf with hard bodies and only a few small whiting and toadfish were following the lure. After a couple of whiting caught, I moved on to bait and then finally I started fishing for squid. Only got cuttlefish but I still had a blast because it was fun when they would spout water to zoom around the water while hooked. Was wondering what squid jig colour is “best”. I know on bright sunny days, dark coloured jigs like black and purple are best while on cloudy or low light days or night, bright colours like pink and orange are better. This may be a stupid question, but is there an all rounded colour that would work in both light and dark conditions? I’ve had the most success on pink and orange so far (prefer pink though). If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. It would be nice to bring in more squid for bait when the lures aren’t working and for food. Also, does the same apply to cuttlefish? Thanks for reading.

There are all sorts of colour chart available.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, faker said:

There are all sorts of colour chart available.

It says dark colours like brown, black, purple at day and bright colours like orange, pink, white at night when I look it up with red when the sun is setting but I was hoping for a middle ground that works both in the day and night too as I would like to save money and not buy a super large selection of them. I have some glow in the dark ones I got a while ago that are white during the day and gives of a  greeny-like glow in the dark so would that work on both conditions? I have the most success on bright colours so far both at day and night but haven’t caught enough to determine which coloured jigs are better. 

45 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

It says dark colours like brown, black, purple at day and bright colours like orange, pink, white at night when I look it up with red when the sun is setting but I was hoping for a middle ground that works both in the day and night too as I would like to save money and not buy a super large selection of them. I have some glow in the dark ones I got a while ago that are white during the day and gives of a  greeny-like glow in the dark so would that work on both conditions? I have the most success on bright colours so far both at day and night but haven’t caught enough to determine which coloured jigs are better. 

Just buy a white one then that glows

• Thanks 1

its as simple as finding what the squid are doing that day, some days they are hyper aggressive and eat anything that move and other day they are picky which mean you have to constantly change your jigging technique from aggressive actions to even small barely moving the rod action or even just a slow reel. some days they are deep close to the bottom and other days (more so at night) they like to go up to the middle or even sit on the surface. and sometimes they squid just may not be there so be prepared to move spots.

Arrow squid are mostly nocturnal i have never caught one in the day so jig colour doesn't matter much at all.

a basic rule i use is i go more by pattern on the jig followed by size/sink rate then colour during the day. some jigs have a reflective foil and some have a more reflective fabric. there is no all rounder. if the water is >7 meters limited current use a 1.8 or 2.2 jig. if its shallow water >3 meters and no current use 1.5 size. if there's abit of water movement or you are impatient throw 1-2 or even 3 snap swivels on and your jig will sink quicker. on ocean rocks you can use 2.5 jigs or on shallow ocean rocks you can get a slow sink 3.0.

during the night colour is nothing. get jigs that glow different colours or at different brightness and sometimes a non glow jig is what they are after. also if you are squidding at night i do recommend a portable flood light you can place on the jetty to attract baitfish which will also attract squid. its also a good idea even on jettys to have a second rod with a couple jigs just hanging over the side just off the bottom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Restyle said:

its as simple as finding what the squid are doing that day, some days they are hyper aggressive and eat anything that move and other day they are picky which mean you have to constantly change your jigging technique from aggressive actions to even small barely moving the rod action or even just a slow reel. some days they are deep close to the bottom and other days (more so at night) they like to go up to the middle or even sit on the surface. and sometimes they squid just may not be there so be prepared to move spots.

Arrow squid are mostly nocturnal i have never caught one in the day so jig colour doesn't matter much at all.

a basic rule i use is i go more by pattern on the jig followed by size/sink rate then colour during the day. some jigs have a reflective foil and some have a more reflective fabric. there is no all rounder. if the water is >7 meters limited current use a 1.8 or 2.2 jig. if its shallow water >3 meters and no current use 1.5 size. if there's abit of water movement or you are impatient throw 1-2 or even 3 snap swivels on and your jig will sink quicker. on ocean rocks you can use 2.5 jigs or on shallow ocean rocks you can get a slow sink 3.0.

during the night colour is nothing. get jigs that glow different colours or at different brightness and sometimes a non glow jig is what they are after. also if you are squidding at night i do recommend a portable flood light you can place on the jetty to attract baitfish which will also attract squid. its also a good idea even on jettys to have a second rod with a couple jigs just hanging over the side just off the bottom.

Thanks a lot! I’ll have this in mind when I go shopping for more jigs.

I squid fish daytime - usually between 10am and 2pm. Daytime I only use Keimura (UV) jigs. My most successful jig is pink. I will switch up between bright pink and neutrals. Most of the jigs I use are size 3 and up - but I fish for southern calamari around headlands/just inside or deep reef.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, juicy233 said:

squid are dumb as ive seen them take the most silly looking kmart squid jigs, in my very limited squidding experience ive found that light/dark green lures work well day and night and those bright pink and orange ones seem to perform better at sunset / night.

What do you mean squid are dumb?! One bit me as an act of self-defence!!! 🤣

I beleive when it comes to squiding, there is no specific colour, sink rate or action that will consistently work in any location, time of day/night or conditions of weather.

I find what works best is to have a select range of colours/weights with you and switch around.

To give you an example, some time ago, I fished one location in a certain condition and have found a natural green worked best that night. I landed about 7-8 in about an hour and half. The following night, I went back again, around the same time or tide and the conditions was pretty much on par with the night prior. That same green didnt land me any squid, instead it was a bright orange that did all the catching that following night (5 landed in an hour).

Your best option would be to try one colour and throw out a few cast into one location, and then maybe mix up the type of action. And then fan out and repeat. Once you finish a cycle, then change the jig to another colour and try again. 

• Like 1

I was at a bait and tackle shop and the guy told me that pink is generally the best colour. He showed me the collection of Yamashita jigs so I got two pink ones (size 1.5 and 1.8) and im thinking of getting a grey one as I didn’t bring much money with me so I couldn’t get a third one.

Edited by TheFishyFisherman

1 hour ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

I was at a bait and tackle shop and the guy told me that pink is generally the best colour. He showed me the collection of Yamashita jigs so I got two pink ones (size 1.5 and 1.8) and im thinking of getting a grey one as I didn’t bring much money with me so I couldn’t get a third one.

Wouldn’t buy jigs from any large retailers. Too expensive. Most smaller independent tackle stores have yamashita suite r’s for 10-12 and the new suite r for 12-14 other jigs like the 490 glows are 15-17 bucks 

4 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Wouldn’t buy jigs from any large retailers. Too expensive. Most smaller independent tackle stores have yamashita suite r’s for 10-12 and the new suite r for 12-14 other jigs like the 490 glows are 15-17 bucks 

It was a small thing independant store and they were 17 dollars each. They were cheaper than the ones I see in the big, popular shops that are like 22-25 dollars. I got them 5-8 dollars cheaper. ^^