Trailer vs marina/mooring

intensehotdog

Hey all, would like some insights into owning a trailer boat vs having a boat at a mooring or marina. I've owned two trailer boats in the past and have not had a boat for a year and now in the market for another, but have always fancied the idea of a moored boat. If you have had both types of boats could you weigh in on your experience? I can make the pros and cons all day but at the end of the day its about how it is in reality.

Trailer boat pros:

- Versatility, easier to wash and fuel, no anti-fouling, 

Trailer boat cons:

- Have to use boat ramp (I personally dislike a lot especially on weekends), need room at house to store, trailer rust/repair/replace, fuel usage driving to boat ramp with boat.

Mooring boat pros:

- No need to use boat ramp faster to get out on the water

Moring boat cons:

- cost with anti-fouling and mooring, limited to fishing that place

Hi,

A bit more info about boat type / Size would help, but as you are talking about either / or situation, I'm assuming it would be a larger outboard powered boat?

On a Mooring:

If it's an outdrive (leg) maintenance will be significantly higher as without very regular maintenance you will have all sorts of issues/ failures such as over heating, poor performance (fouling) water penetration (damaged bellows) - corrosion.

If an outboard, you can avoid most of the above by lifting them as clear of the water as you can.

You will still need to antifoul and protect from galvanic corrosion. 

You also need to think about bilge pumps and solar to keep batteries topped up (pumps operable) ..

I have seen plenty of submerged boats caused by pump failure.

Then of course you need to maintain your mooring every year (assuming it's Maritime & not a marina provided mooring).

I think that if you can, it's better to trailer based on ease of maintenance and mobility.

I am fortunate enough to have both, and the on mooring maintenance costs are horrendous...in Sydney, slip fees are a couple of hundred bucks to bring the boat out and the same to put it back in (28 ft) - on top of any work you have done...I don't think there is any where left, where you can do your own antifoul these days.

Really dig deep into what you want and consider your operating budget before you decide, then add 30% on top! 

For my trailer boat, maintenance is minuscule by comparison.

Feel free to ask any questions ..

I have had dozens of boats on trailers ranging from 10 foot tinnies to 25 foot flybridge cruisers and just about everything in between.

I have had 3 boats moored, all in Bermagui at 2 different locations in the harbour.

Trailer boats as you stated you need the space to store, registration and upkeep, and the ramp hassles, all of which is second nature after a while. They can be towed anywhere within Australia and are reasonably cheap to run. Upkeep being the major factor.

Moored boats are easy to jump into and drive off out into the briney.

That is after you load them up with all the gear needed for the session on the water.

Why I say this is because leaving the gear in the boat is risky due to theft and vandalization.

What I used to do is pack all the gear I could in a suitable container , sounders, radios, fishing gear etc and carry them onto the boat while the engine was warming up.

This takes about 1/2 hour to set everything up and if you have a mate that can do the setting up you can do this while underway to your fishing spot.

Leaving gear on a moored boat is risking not having it when you climb onboard. Even with a lock up cabin it's still a risk cause a lock only keeps an honest thief away.

Frank

I seriously considered, not to long ago whether I would go down the path of a moored Tub.

The single biggest reason, was that my other half would get to enjoy boating.. She simply can't handle a small boat, but larger boats we have been out on, she seems to handle better.

The question/offer was put forward, but she herself said, while she would feel more comfortable, it wouldn't be top of her list with regard to the amount of time she would want to spend in a larger boat...

I'm happy sticking to my trailer boat, BUT, I have to admit, I have questioned my decision over the past couple of years !!!.  Accepting the costs associated, I recon my fishing time would have increased no end.  Guess I let that idea slip by, but   Never say never I say.  Go in both eyes wide open and ensure you get your moneys worth of time on deck and I think it's a great alternative option to trailer boating..

It boggles my mind sometimes, cruising around moored boats and seeing the condition or state of neglect there in, such a shame, maybe reality stepped in...

Depending on where you're based and where you fish, there may be a third option which is to keep the boat in a rack and stack.

I've had 2 boats in the stacker at Akuna Bay which gives you access to a lot of good options for fishing in the Hawkesbury, Cowan Creek, Pittwater and offshore from Broken Bay..

It is very convenient, at the time it enabled me to fish during a very busy time in my life and you don't need a trailer but it was a fairly expensive option.