has anyone used the Shimano Sedona?

Hi everyone,

my bream rod snapped on my car so i'm looking for another cheap 50-99 aud rod that target bream, and other things like squid. Right now 6 foot 6 to 7 foot 2 seems like a good length and 2-4kg is perfect. I have my eyes on the abu gracias veritas 4.0 7.2foot or the shimano Sedona 7ft. Does anyone know which ones more worth it? Because I saw the veritas on sale for 75 bucks and the sedona for 69. Thanks!

Tight lines,

Odysea

Mate, people may be able to give you there experiences with 1 or both of the rods however, its much better to go in person to a fishing store and get a feel of both rods, the grips, weight etc. Then also take the reel with you, or use one from the store to also see if the rod seems compatible with the reel you want to use on it.

I only use daiwa gear or custom rods I build myself, however, Ive heard better things about the veritas compared to the sedona.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter K said:

Mate, people may be able to give you there experiences with 1 or both of the rods however, its much better to go in person to a fishing store and get a feel of both rods, the grips, weight etc. Then also take the reel with you, or use one from the store to also see if the rod seems compatible with the reel you want to use on it.

I only use daiwa gear or custom rods I build myself, however, Ive heard better things about the veritas compared to the sedona.

true, I'm just lazy and dont wanna go out lol. Will try anyway!

51 minutes ago, faker said:

I use a veritas 1-3 kg 7.2 ft served me very well. It does get a yellow tinge after a while from use. But my favourite rod so far

wow 1-3kg sounds a little light? I'm scared it might snap or simple not have enough power. Is that your experience?

At this price point the veritas 4.0 on clearance is hard to beat, you can find them below 90 or even lower at a lot of places. Tho Sedona reel is really good but the rod is not the same imo. It doesn't even have Fuji guides I think, at least I can't find Shimano advertising it. Veritas on the other hand is loaded with Fuji KR frame and alconite ring. While guides are not the only standard but its blank is not bad either. If you're worried about the ultralight is too light, get the 2-4kg 7ft light spec. Rod is generally snapped due to mistreated not it's lack of power 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odysea_yt said:

wow 1-3kg sounds a little light? I'm scared it might snap or simple not have enough power. Is that your experience?

I used to think the same thing, well made 1-3kg rod is capable to land anything. I use a 1-3kg to land anything from bream to snapper.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odysea_yt said:

Never had a issue even against bigger fish. Just don't try lifting big ones out of water

Hi. Ive got a Veritas and love it especially for light soft plastics on the flats. Got a Sedona too had it a long time and love it too, goes on every trip with me and is a jack of all trades and a good loaner road for when other people come with me its copped some use and is a very durable outfit.

5 hours ago, devoker said:

I am also considering to get veritas but I was thinking of getting the 2-4 kg one. Do you think 1-3 kg is better? I never had any experience with ultra light rods before. I am worried that I might break it easily.

I regularly use a 2-6lb rod (0.9kg-2.7kg) and I skull drag high 30's bream, mid 40's flathead straight out of the water and 2 metres up the seawall. If you no what your doing the rod won't break. It would be once in a lifetime that you would every get a bream close to 2 or 3 kg so you will be fine, if you plan to throw lures 3 inch and above, go the 2-4kg rod then.

1 hour ago, Peter K said:

I regularly use a 2-6lb rod (0.9kg-2.7kg) and I skull drag high 30's bream, mid 40's flathead straight out of the water and 2 metres up the seawall. If you no what your doing the rod won't break. It would be once in a lifetime that you would every get a bream close to 2 or 3 kg so you will be fine, if you plan to throw lures 3 inch and above, go the 2-4kg rod then.

idk I sort of also want a slightly heavier setup in case I bring it for a kingfish sesh or smt caus I only got 2 rods

2 hours ago, odysea_yt said:

idk I sort of also want a slightly heavier setup in case I bring it for a kingfish sesh or smt caus I only got 2 rods

Have a multi purpose pretty light rod, one that can be used to catch your estuary species, bream, flatty, trev, eps, tailor, etc, but its also a decent enough rod for catching other species like luderick and baits like mullet and yakkas, most light rods are more then suitable for such applications, can be used for small light baits or soft plastics and other lures too. Then have a heavier rod from throwing bigger 3-4"+ lure or small to medium baits. Then a third rod for 7"+ lures, big jew/king baits etc, even for snapper too. 

If you only after 2 or 3 rods I would suggest what I mentioned above, if the 3rd rod seems like a style of fishing you may not be interested in at the moment, you can swap it for another of option 1 or 2 or even something inbetween.

44 minutes ago, Peter K said:

Have a multi purpose pretty light rod, one that can be used to catch your estuary species, bream, flatty, trev, eps, tailor, etc, but its also a decent enough rod for catching other species like luderick and baits like mullet and yakkas, most light rods are more then suitable for such applications, can be used for small light baits or soft plastics and other lures too. Then have a heavier rod from throwing bigger 3-4"+ lure or small to medium baits. Then a third rod for 7"+ lures, big jew/king baits etc, even for snapper too. 

If you only after 2 or 3 rods I would suggest what I mentioned above, if the 3rd rod seems like a style of fishing you may not be interested in at the moment, you can swap it for another of option 1 or 2 or even something inbetween.

yeah, i was planning to only get two rods, but my second broke so I only have one which is the big 9-10foot heavy rod. for my second one I want a all round yakka, bream and flathead rod that also can target squid and withstand kingfish

25 minutes ago, odysea_yt said:

yeah, i was planning to only get two rods, but my second broke so I only have one which is the big 9-10foot heavy rod. for my second one I want a all round yakka, bream and flathead rod that also can target squid and withstand kingfish

The thing is, sure you will see many people online fighting kingy and jew on ultra light bream small gear, however, for a beginner I don't see that being the way to go, you need to learn what its like to fight one first, how they run, what sort of fight they put up, if you try doing that on bream gear and have no clue whats going on your very likely to just get smoked. If I were you, I would learn as much as I can, try many different methods of fish lure bait etc on smaller estuary species, understanding how to guide and contain a smaller fish before trying kingies etc. If your trying for a kingy on bream gear and you get spooled, haha, all your lines gone and it will get costly quick, better off to start using the right gear rather than try to find a rod that can do it all consistently at max performance. 

So sure, you can find a rod for yakka, bream and flathead, squid too just about any smaller river species in Australia, but when you start trying to flight 1m+ fish on gear designed for 40cm and below type fish, things will get hairy. 

Your better off buying 1 decent rod ($150-250) range and having it for a lifetime, compared to buying 2 or 3 cheaper quick fix $50 rod that isn't built or designed to last. 

Buy a decent bream/flatty rod now, then as you learnt to target those species and save up a bit more, then you can buy a decent kingy rod etc. 

22 minutes ago, Peter K said:

The thing is, sure you will see many people online fighting kingy and jew on ultra light bream small gear, however, for a beginner I don't see that being the way to go, you need to learn what its like to fight one first, how they run, what sort of fight they put up, if you try doing that on bream gear and have no clue whats going on your very likely to just get smoked. If I were you, I would learn as much as I can, try many different methods of fish lure bait etc on smaller estuary species, understanding how to guide and contain a smaller fish before trying kingies etc. If your trying for a kingy on bream gear and you get spooled, haha, all your lines gone and it will get costly quick, better off to start using the right gear rather than try to find a rod that can do it all consistently at max performance. 

So sure, you can find a rod for yakka, bream and flathead, squid too just about any smaller river species in Australia, but when you start trying to flight 1m+ fish on gear designed for 40cm and below type fish, things will get hairy. 

Your better off buying 1 decent rod ($150-250) range and having it for a lifetime, compared to buying 2 or 3 cheaper quick fix $50 rod that isn't built or designed to last. 

Buy a decent bream/flatty rod now, then as you learnt to target those species and save up a bit more, then you can buy a decent kingy rod etc. 

yeah true, im not specifically tryna target them, it'll be great to get kings on light gear but primarily it is just in case something big comes up so I can make sure my gear holds. I know 150-250 dollar rods will last a longggg time but I don't think my parents would be too happy to put that much money in a stick haha

I think just go a 2-4kg rod so you have a better chance against a decent fish. Also a 1-3kg is better for your smaller estuary species, i cant decide what you buy so you have to do research and talk to tackle shop owners etc. Well rods in the 100-150 range are still pretty decent, If you want to take fishing seriously in the future and start to learn techniques and things from a young age, I wouldn't buy any cheap rods under $50, perhaps you can find a 2nd hand rod that has a retail price in the $100 range now cheaper online on ebay/gumtree/facebook mp etc. 

Have a look at this from this weeks a fishing shop club member catalogue. 

image.png.54ff214a3e00366b6df267e51c765c9b.png

Some decent deals, id go 7ft 1-3kg or 2-5kg for your estuary fishing needs. A rod and reel for those prices is a bargin. The Aird is a much better combo compared to crossfire and for only $50 more, id be taking a serious look at these options.

Ends 4/11/24.

Edited by Little_Flatty
Please do not link retailers

38 minutes ago, Peter K said:

Have a look at this from this weeks a fishing shop club member catalogue. 

image.png.54ff214a3e00366b6df267e51c765c9b.png

Some decent deals, id go 7ft 1-3kg or 2-5kg for your estuary fishing needs. A rod and reel for those prices is a bargin. The Aird is a much better combo compared to crossfire and for only $50 more, id be taking a serious look at these options.

Ends 4/11/24.

the thing is im on a pretty tight budget, and I have my own reel. Ill try look for the crossfire and aird xt rods instead. Thanks!

1 minute ago, odysea_yt said:

the thing is im on a pretty tight budget, and I have my own reel. Ill try look for the crossfire and aird xt rods instead. Thanks!

In that case have a look around for something cheaper at the shops, but I think your best bet to get a half decent rod for under $100 is 2nd hand online, gumtree, facebook marketplace etc.

4 hours ago, odysea_yt said:

yeah true, im not specifically tryna target them, it'll be great to get kings on light gear but primarily it is just in case something big comes up so I can make sure my gear holds. I know 150-250 dollar rods will last a longggg time but I don't think my parents would be too happy to put that much money in a stick haha

A more expensive rod doesnt mean itll last longer. It typically means has a bit more expensive components or tend to be specify to a style of fishing. If youre just chasing bread and butter and not overly fussed about refinement in gear, then just go with something cheaper. IMO everyone start somewhere and once you get your onto feet and discover what type of fishing you enjoy more, then make the investment into that area.

As with all gear, cleaning and maintenance is what will make your gear last longer. Yes some will wear a little faster but maintenance will help prolong it. 

• Like 2