Bonito season begins

faker

So went off to chill around northern beaches with rod at hand and some jigs.

First 20 cast got 4 hits but only hooked onto one bonito 55cm

after another 30 cast wind picked up and blows jig into areas I don't like despite it being 60g. In the end lost jig

Saw massive school of snapper on surface but wind too strong to cast a small 5 inch jerk shad.

Did not have any bait to use on them 

30 min later rain started and wind got worst. Decided to pack up and go home

Does anyone have any good bonito recipe which isn't just salt, pepper, lemon then baked? Much appreciated 

20241019_220925.jpg

Edited by faker
  • Like 13

This is the best way to eat bonito imo, but it takes a lot of time to properly cure it. I will definitely try once I catch one, and it tastes unbelievably good for bonito. If you can enjoy them cooked, you would probably love this version.

Edited by devoker
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Sashimi, ceviche, seared, dried, cut into 'steaks', sushi, marinated - lots of recipes out there for Bonnies. Good job on getting one when the conditions weren't good!

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Toadmaster said:

Agree it makes good ceviche. The Japanese do it seared - google bonito no tataki!

9 hours ago, devoker said:

This is the best way to eat bonito imo, but it takes a lot of time to properly cure it. I will definitely try once I catch one, and it tastes unbelievably good for bonito. If you can enjoy them cooked, you would probably love this version.

Will try one time

21 hours ago, faker said:

So went off to chill around northern beaches with rod at hand and some jigs.

First 20 cast got 4 hits but only hooked onto one bonito 55cm

after another 30 cast wind picked up and blows jig into areas I don't like despite it being 60g. In the end lost jig

Saw massive school of snapper on surface but wind too strong to cast a small 5 inch jerk shad.

Did not have any bait to use on them 

30 min later rain started and wind got worst. Decided to pack up and go home

Does anyone have any good bonito recipe which isn't just salt, pepper, lemon then baked? Much appreciated 

20241019_220925.jpg

they where a bycatch last week when fishing for snapper 

20 hours ago, devoker said:

Ive made a few of these, tasty little snack but dont eat too much as the salt content will get the blood pressure pumping 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basil D said:

Ive made a few of these, tasty little snack but dont eat too much as the salt content will get the blood pressure pumping 

Yeah a bit salty, but the good thing is you can preserve them in brine for quite a long time and you don't have to finish them at once.

I am one of the people cursed with hyperhydrosis. There is a benefit of sweating like crazy though, I can consume a lot more salt than necessary (sometimes I need eat salt after heavy excess in order not to feint) without having high blood pressure 

• Sad 1

On 10/20/2024 at 8:48 PM, devoker said:

Yeah a bit salty, but the good thing is you can preserve them in brine for quite a long time and you don't have to finish them at once.

I am one of the people cursed with hyperhydrosis. There is a benefit of sweating like crazy though, I can consume a lot more salt than necessary (sometimes I need eat salt after heavy excess in order not to feint) without having high blood pressure 

Lucky you , I suffer from blood pressure